jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

How do you best poach an egg?

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 5 years ago

How do you best poach an egg?

I have tried it different ways and I keep hearing new ways, and I just want simple and good.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7187112_f260.jpg

2. benisan85745 profile image60
    benisan85745posted 5 years ago

I actually tried this method because I just came across it a couple of months ago. I tried it and I had success the second time I did it.
    - eggs
    - good quality cling wrap
    - oil for greasing
    Stay with me, I know it sounds weird at the moment.
    If you happen to have ramekins, or a shallow small rice bowl, place the cling wrap over the ramekin, and oil it thouroughly with your fingers so as the eggs won't stick to the cling. Oil side up, crack eggs into the cling wrap, but do not crack eggs on bowl so as not to puncture the cling wrap. Grabbing the corners and twist wrapping the cling and tieing it off, you are ready to drop in the water after ensuring it is enclosed right.
    In a small saucepan bring water to a boil, place bags of eggs in simmering water. If eggs are straight from the fridge and are cold, cook for 4.5-5 minutes for soft yolk. 3.5-4 minutes if the eggs are room temperature. lift them out with a slotted spoon and carefully open the bags where it is bunched, and break open in a desired plate.
    I truly hope it works for you, I found it a bit better than swirling it in hot vinegar water. Good luck.
    Ka'imi'loa

Jackie Lynnleyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if I trust cling wrap in hot water, but I guess it is worth a try!

3. vespawoolf profile image95
    vespawoolfposted 5 years ago

I would definitely try benisan's method. I've tried the vinegar and water method before and it's always been a disaster. I'm the worst egg poacher in the world!

No..that has to be second worst!

4. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

The only way that I have consistent success is with a stove-top egg poacher. It  has 4 removable egg cups that fit into a ring insert which sits over the pan of boiling water. I put a small pat of butter into the bottom of each, drop in the eggs, and cover w/ the lid, letting the egg steam for a minute or so until the white is no longer runny but the yolk is not overdone. I like to serve them on buttered toast, corned beef hash, or cheesy hominy grits w/ mild chiles- all w/ fresh cracked pepper smile

MM wow this sounds like some recipes to try, thanks!

2. cat on a soapbox profile image97
      cat on a soapboxposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Jackie:)

working