jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you tell if eggs have passed their etable time ?

1. baygirl33 profile image60
    baygirl33posted 6 years ago

How do you tell if eggs have passed their etable time ?

I 've heard of putting them in cooll water.Are they supposed to float or sink?

2. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

Fresh eggs lay on the bottom and bad eggs lay on the top (float on their sides). If on end of the egg is sticking out of the water it is still good to eat, but need to be done soon. If it starts to lay over or is laying on its side when it floats, then do not eat it.

3. lobobrandon profile image91
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

Good eggs usually sink atleast that whats I heard. Don't eat eggs that float. Just as Susan  said they shouldn't be eaten if they float on their side.

4. homesteadpatch profile image80
    homesteadpatchposted 6 years ago

Another way to tell would be when the eggs are cracked.  The yolks of fresh eggs will stand up round and firm.  Older egg yolks will lay flat and soft.  If an egg is truly bad, you'll know as soon as you crack it.  Eggs keep a surprisingly long time.

5. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

I don't worry about that. I buy a dozen fresh eggs every week, eat what I want for breakfast, and hard boil any left over from last week for sandwiches, salads and sauces. That way I never get an old one.

6. shamani67 profile image61
    shamani67posted 6 years ago

I always put them in water to see if they float or sink. If they float, chuck it out. It is sinks, it is fine to eat.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

The answers given are good.   The air or gas pocket at the large end of the egg gets bigger as the egg ages-- that is why older eggs float to the top in a pan of water, and the fresher eggs sink down moree.  As was said, a little bit of the top of the egg  shell comes to the top of the water it is ok.

When hard boiling eggs-- it is best not to use the newest laid ones.  They are harder to peel because NO air pocket has formed.