jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What kind of fruits can you freeze?

1. BSloan profile image73
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

What kind of fruits can you freeze?

I know you can freeze berries (strawberries, blueberries, grapes, etc) but how about bananas,
    apples, peaches, or plums? 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7188553_f260.jpg

2. Kris Heeter profile image78
    Kris Heeterposted 5 years ago

I've frozen peaches and bananas  - but they need to be soaked in lemon juice or orange juice to keep them from turning brown.

3. Heather63 profile image85
    Heather63posted 5 years ago

I've made banana pops by peeling a banana, cutting it in half and putting onto a popsicle stick. I dip it in chocolate sauce, then put them on wax paper and into freezer. It's delicious. I haven't done so well with apples and peaches, etc. - they tend to get soft or overripe.

4. novascotiamiss profile image85
    novascotiamissposted 5 years ago

Depends what you want to use the fruit for. If it's for a smoothie, then you can basically freeze just about anything. Some fruit like bananas or apples will become mushy when defrosted and discoloured but if you put them into the smoothing while still frozen they are fantastic. Peaches and plums should work for just about anyhting incl. pie but you have to keep in mind that they will become watery. Same applies to strawberries.

5. vespawoolf profile image96
    vespawoolfposted 5 years ago

Dense fruit is the best candidate for freezing, as fruit with high water content can suffer a noticeable change in texture. If you're using the frozen fruit for smoothies, though, the mushy texture caused by freezing won't be an issue.

working