jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What is the best foods to fill up kids?

1. Jesse Mugnier profile image75
    Jesse Mugnierposted 5 years ago

What is the best foods to fill up kids?

I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old, both going through growth spurts. They are eating like I am starving them! I can't keep spending all this money at the grocery store but they are always hungry. What are some good foods to feed them to keep them sated for a while? Nutrition is great and all but at this point I could care less if you tell me that chocolate bars and potato chips are the best thing!

2. mothercristina profile image70
    mothercristinaposted 5 years ago

I always like to use oats. There are so many ways to make them and boy is it filling. Seriously, it even helps keep my husband full. I make home made granola, oatmeal, granola bars, and I grind up the oats to make oat flour to use when I make pancakes or muffins. Another good thing about oats, is that you can buy them in bulk for a really good price.

Jesse Mugnierposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is an excellent idea! Thank you for your input. smile

2. ThompsonPen profile image79
      ThompsonPenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

good call!

3. philli profile image84
    philliposted 5 years ago

Definitely proteins...beef or chicken (followed by fish). Meat tends to sit in your stomach like a brick. Fresh potatoes also do a lot to make even adults feel full (baked potatoes, homemade mashed potatoes), plus they are pretty cheap to buy. What will probably be more effective than anything though would be to continue feeding them child sized portions of food (balanced for their nutritional needs), just making sure that they get a tall glass of water about 20-30 minutes before they eat and with their meals. It gets their daily requirement of water in and helps their stomachs feel fuller.

Jesse Mugnierposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wonderful answer! I didn't know about the water thing. Hm, learn something new every day, thanks philli smile

4. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

I can't particularly answer this as I don't have kids. But I can say for certain that brown rice is a good one as it will give them nutrients as well as provide them with long energy, opposed to short spurts of energy. Also, avoid salt, as it can stimulate appetite and fool the tummy into thinking that it hasn't had enough to eat.

working