jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you need to do a recipe from scratch in recipe hubs?

1. jpridgen profile image70
    jpridgenposted 5 years ago

Do you need to do a recipe from scratch in recipe hubs?

or can you post a recipe you like that came out of a magazine?

2. Kimberly Vaughn profile image84
    Kimberly Vaughnposted 5 years ago

I am pretty sure it has to be your own recipe or a tweak on an already existing recipe that you have made your own. I have seen that written somewhere on HubPages before but I can't find it now. Using a recipe that you found, exactly as you found it, would be duplicate content and might get your hub moderated.

3. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

It's best to have your own recipe with personal and unique additions/ingredients/tips/photographs. That way readers know you have actually created something and not just copied/reworded a recipe straight out of a food magazine or wherever.

When I publish a recipe hub I try to make sure I have my own images where possible, I have unique tips I pass on from my own experience of using the recipe and that I have not simply 'transferred' a recipe from somewhere else and changed one or two words or instructions.

4. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

I don't think there's a thing wrong with posting a recipe you found and liked. Just be sure to credit the source of it and to write it up originally, in your own way, and only after having tried it enough times to know what you're talking about. Recipes you have developed on your own are naturally of more interest to people once you have a reputation as a good cook, but no one has a great many of those.

5. vespawoolf profile image97
    vespawoolfposted 5 years ago

I've noticed even in food blogs, the author will test a recipe from a cookbook or magazine. They provide proper attribution and then publish plenty of photos of the process and finished result. It's more like a recipe review, but as long as you provide the source and offer your own instructions and insights then it's okay.

It can be fun to create your own recipes, though. I wrote two hubs about recipe creation and attribution a couple of months ago.

working