jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (14 posts)

How well does you recipe hubs do?

1. Novel Treasure profile image88
    Novel Treasureposted 5 years ago

How well does you recipe hubs do?

I just started to do the recipe hubs and am just wondering how much success you have seen with these hubs.

2. Stephanie Henkel profile image97
    Stephanie Henkelposted 5 years ago

Some of them do well initially, but then views drop off. I've had the most success with more unusual recipes and ethnic food recipes. I think that my recipe hubs have did better after I switched to using the recipe capsules and the ratings tool. Good photographs of step-by-step instructions and of the completed dish also help keep people interested to the end.  Good luck with your recipe hubs!

Novel Treasureposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks do the advice. I might try to do more ethnic centered recipe to see if that changes things.

3. sgbrown profile image95
    sgbrownposted 5 years ago

My chicken taco recipe has done better than most of my regular hubs. I was getting more than 100 views a day on it for a couple of months.  Views have fallen off some now, hopefully they will come back. My canning recipes have really done well too. I agree with Stephanie, step by step instructions with good pictures really help!

4. stayingalivemoma profile image84
    stayingalivemomaposted 5 years ago

My chitterlings hub, while published before the recipe module came out (10/9/11), is and continues to be my highest ranking hub with 4,906 views to date. smile
    If you type in "how to cook chitlins" on Google, it ranks 2nd place and if you type in "how to cook chitterlings" on Google, it ranks 3rd!

I guess what I'm saying is, keep your hub keyword-rich (SEO), do your research, have lots of pictures and step by step instructions and promote it on social media...they'll eventually get higher ranking.

5. jenbeach21 profile image79
    jenbeach21posted 5 years ago

My views are up and down. Since the recipes are for a limited audience, I expected that kind of result. They are for gluten free deserts and I am hoping to get more views from google and other search engines as time goes on.

6. profile image0
    Donna9376posted 5 years ago

Some of mine do well and some don't. I find my more unusual ones do better also. I tend to get more traffic when i pin them to pinspire. I find its great for traffic to my recipes. I think the rating tool helps also. Good luck with your recipes!

7. vespawoolf profile image97
    vespawoolfposted 5 years ago

Do you mean before our after the Google refresh? :   ) I basically do only recipe hubs, and I've been happy with the views they get. Recipes are often seasonal, and my hubs using fresh tomatoes did well most of the summer. I reached almost 5,000 views a day at peak, but now I'm back down to 1,500 views daily at best this past week. I try to make good use of keywords, do SEO research before publishing and use plenty of photos and step-by-step instructions. I seem to have temporarily misplaced my kitchen mojo, so I've been writing cooking instructional hubs until I get it back. :   )

8. MarleneB profile image97
    MarleneBposted 5 years ago

I'm really happy with the traffic for my recipe hubs. I have learned to monitor them  on a regular basis to see where traffic is coming from and what words people use to find my recipe. This has been really helpful in keeping traffic up. Sometimes I'll tweak the title based on what people use to find the recipe and when I do that I see a sudden boost in traffic to the recipe. A good title is what brings traffic to the recipe, and then if I deliver on the title with good background information, and step-by-step instructions, along with good photos, I find that the recipe gets shared and that brings in a good chunk of additional traffic.

9. Chuck profile image89
    Chuckposted 5 years ago

I currently have 16 recipe Hubs all of which were published well before the recipe capsules were available. 

So far, I have found time to update two of them with the recipe capsules.  One, for making cranberry wine has a Hubscore of 92 and 370 page views within the last 30 days (which is about how long the recipe capsules have been included in it).  The second is for currywurst which has a Hubscore of 81 and 8 page views in the past 30 days which, again, is about how long it has had the recipe capsules in it.

Both of these Hubs were first published in 2006 and have generally done well in terms of Hubscore and traffic with the cranberry wine hub (whose traffic generally increases in the fall of the year) having over 74,000 lifetime page views and the currywurst one having close to 1,400 lifetime page views.

Novel Treasureposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I read your cranberry wine recipe and I am going to try it. Thanks for the info!

10. SmartAndFun profile image97
    SmartAndFunposted 5 years ago

I have quite a few recipe hubs and they don't get much traffic. I think because they are (mostly) recipes for dishes that, although my family loves them, are really not all that unusual. I think most of them have similar incarnations all over the internet. Right now, each of my recipe hubs has anywhere from 0 to 74 views for the past week, with most around 3-9. For the past 30 days, each hub has anywhere from 3 to 337. The more unique recipes have the most views.

Two of my recipe hubs were "put to sleep" by HP. I updated them right away to wake them up. Two more were put to sleep and I so far have left them to see if that helps my subdomain. Now I'm wishing I would have left the first two sleeping to help my experiment along.

My recipe hubs don't make much money but I enjoy documenting them and posting them online. HP has kind of turned into my own online cookbook. If I lose my hardcopy of a recipe, I can always find it online. If a friend asks for a recipe, I can direct them to HP. Also, together they make up a very convenient family cookbook I can pass along to my daughter some day.

11. lucybell21 profile image79
    lucybell21posted 5 years ago

I do okay. I just don't do that whole format thing. Sometimes you just can't. The way I see it. It is not a cooking show, and we should not have to jump threw hoops to share a recipe that we like. I like to keep it  as simple as possible.

12. sweetie1 profile image69
    sweetie1posted 5 years ago

I have a few recipe hubs but since now they are over a year old they are not attracting much traffic. Most of times they have one or two page views a day. My friend who has 64 hubs on food is doing no better, he is no more active and doesnt get more than 15 to 20 page views a day normally.

working