jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

The Dagwood Dog (aka Pluto Pup)..who is responsible for this culinary atrocity?

1. maddot profile image80
    maddotposted 5 years ago

The Dagwood Dog (aka Pluto Pup)..who is responsible for this culinary atrocity?

"A delicious and convenient battered Frankfurt on a stick." - I don't think so.....more a disgusting  glob of fat and artificial flavourings and preservatives coated in a thick layer of fluro coloured carbs dunked and fried in cheap animal fat....surely a dietary weapon of mass destruction?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7334887_f260.jpg

2. beccacooling profile image71
    beccacoolingposted 5 years ago

1942 - Corn dogs, hot dogs in a fried cornmeal batter, were introduced at the Texas State Fair, created by Texan Neil Fletcher.   This is what I managed to find, however, I am not sure if the corn dog is older than the dagwood dog as it is called in Australia.  Hope it helps.

3. pippap profile image85
    pippapposted 5 years ago

I don't know who created the Pluto Dog; but, they should be ashamed of themselves.  In my opinion, it would be equivalent to eating lard on a stick.

4. Efficient Admin profile image93
    Efficient Adminposted 5 years ago

I had to chuckle at your question.  This must have been created for State Fair food somewhere in the U.S.A.  It's almost as bad as fried twinkies.  They fry everything at state fairs it seems.

1. maddot profile image80
      maddotposted 5 years agoin reply to this

When I was a kid I heard the story about the woman who bought a dagwood dog at the show, bit into it and found a cockroach under the batter..consequently I've never eaten one..

2. Efficient Admin profile image93
      Efficient Adminposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh yikes!  That would turn me off too!!

5. Goody5 profile image73
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

Today at state fairs, you name it, and they deep fry it. Here's a hub with state fair food that will blow your mind - http://theholestory.hubpages.com/hub/Am … fair-foods

6. rouilliewilkerson profile image60
    rouilliewilkersonposted 5 years ago

Halal and spicy mustard please! *drool drool.*

working