jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How to eat organic on a budget?

1. LisaKoski profile image96
    LisaKoskiposted 4 years ago

How to eat organic on a budget?

I'd really like to eat more organic foods in an attempt just to live a little more healthy lifestyle but my budget is really tight right now. I just moved to a small town and I've only manged to find one small shop that sells organic foods that are pretty pricey. Any tips for eating organic on a tight budget?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago

One thing you might do is plant a few vegetables-- that way you will know they are organic.

3. Christine P Ann profile image75
    Christine P Annposted 4 years ago

As Rochelle said, you can start by growing your own produce. There are quite a few vegetables such as celery. leeks, onions and ginger that will grow from scraps http://bwd316.hubpages.com/hub/Growing- … hen-Scraps so this can be a really economical way to start your veggie patch. Make sure you use good quality soil though. You can then spray (if necessary) for bugs with natural products such as garlic sprays that are a mix of garlic, oil and water I believe. http://nancynurse.hubpages.com/hub/Orga … Turned-Out
    Good luck

4. We Solved It profile image73
    We Solved Itposted 4 years ago

Growing your own produce is a good start to staying on your own budget.  But it sometimes takes awhile to grow the garden you want.  While you are waiting, be selective about your organic produce you buy.  Not all produce needs to be organic.  While it is best to try to buy all organic, for those on a tight budget, it's not always possible.  But anything you can do is better than nothing.

It is important to eat organic produce for the fruits and vegetables with the highest pesticide residue:  Apples, peaches, grapes, celery, strawberries, blueberries, potatoes, spinach, kale, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, collard greens, cucumbers. 

Other produce, the pesticides are not as high - like onions, pineapple,
    papayas, avocado, asparagus, bananas, corn, peas, mushrooms, mango, grapefruit, cabbage, yams and sweet potatoes, kiwi and cantaloupe.

So if you are on a super tight budget - you can let those with lower residue slide by and buy regular produce.  This will help cut down on costs. Save your grocery money on the produce more important to purchase organic. 

Regardless if you have organic or non-organic, you should always wash your produce thoroughly. 

Coffee, milk, wine and chocolate are also important to get organic whenever possible, if you can swing it.

5. Seafarer Mama profile image88
    Seafarer Mamaposted 4 years ago

I agree with the other responders, that growing your own food is the most economical way to eat organic food.  If you have a way to make soil from compost, that is the best way to enrich your soil organically...or keep worms for their castings (poop).  I have written a hub on the subject, too.

Then, while the full veggie season is in force, you can make sots of tasty salads and grill veggie skewers. There are lots of free sources online for preparing the food in a tasty way.

Another economical way to eat organic when you have exhausted your home-grown food supply is being part of a CSA (crop sharing association). Find a local organic family farm and support them by purchasing their food. You receive much more for the same price than you would at a store! :0)

Best of luck and  health to you!