jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why do we pay so much for bottled water?

1. phtech profile image80
    phtechposted 4 years ago

Why do we pay so much for bottled water?

Water is free. And if Americans are so against polluting the earth, why do they insist on buying millions of plastic bottles every year?

2. chef-de-jour profile image98
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

Thank you for this most pressing of questions. Answer in plain speak: Corporate greed again I'm afraid, tapping into a gullible public hoodwinked into thinking that bottled water is somehow superior. It's one of the biggest marketing dupes of all time.
    I hate bottled water. I think in the last 25 years I've purchased 1 bottle, but I can't remember where or when. I just do not buy it, or buy into it as an idea.
    I'm sure if you looked into it the number of bottles produced each day you would blow our minds.
    PLus, how does the consumer know what's inside their water? There may be ingredients, analysis, but are they really so concerned about minerals and 'taste'.
    Water guaranteed pure from the ancient springs of Doomakowki Hills brought to you in a metal pipe, through a stainless steel filtering machine thing, down a rubber tube, through a plastic feed pipe, then into a plastic bottle, then driven 4000 miles in a juggernaut to your local friendly store.

The oceans are full of the bottles, the roads are littered with squashed water bottles.
    I can't believe that a creature 75-80% water needs to have more H2O ...from a bottle - each time they go for a walk, a jog, a run, a cycle, down to the gym, down to the garden shed, up the stairs, across the road.......

Take a drink from the tap. Or make lemonade. Or drink squeezed orange!

3. janshares profile image97
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

It is ridiculous isn't it? But we are not paying for the water, we are paying for convenience and then recycle (at least I do). Also, it's worth paying $3 for a case water you trust is cleaner than what comes from the tap, depending on where you are in the world.

4. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years ago

Cold bottled water is so easy to take with you when you're on the go. That is the only time I drink it. At home I keep cold tap water in the frig in two big bottles. Even when I do use the bottles I recycle.

5. theryanpride profile image79
    theryanprideposted 4 years ago

It is easy to take bottle water with you that's why i use the same bottle and just use my filter tap to refill i refuse to pay for bottle water know a days but if i do i make sure to recycle it.

6. phtech profile image80
    phtechposted 4 years ago

Thanks for all the answers. I can see why you would want to have them, I use them daily. I'm just trying to make people aware of what they're doing. You could save a lot of money using a reusable bottle.