jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it really not a good idea to eat PopRocks and drink a soda? I heard your stom

1. moshe1 profile image59
    moshe1posted 4 years ago

Is it really not a good idea to eat PopRocks and drink a soda? I heard your stomach will explode!

I am searching for the truth. If you put PopRocks in a 2 liter soda bottle and screw the top back on the bottle bursts from the pressure. Why wouldn't your stomach do the same thing? Has any body ever tried it?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8361386_f260.jpg

2. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I've read that this is not true.  Seriously have you ever heard of a kid's stomach exploding. If this were true there would have to be warning on candy, sodas etc.

3. hyp profile image80
    hypposted 4 years ago

They did it on myth busters.
    It's not true, it's just an urban legend. It's just like a fizz in the mouth and the coke makes them pop a lot more. Also, there's no warning on the package, that when you eat PopRocks with coke your stomach will explode. big_smile

4. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

It's an urban legend...total BS. The worst that will happen is that you'll belch a lot.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

The reason the balloon will burst is because there isn't anywhere else for the gas to go as long as there's a tight enough seal to keep the balloon on the bottle. The human stomach has two valves to control the pressure which would build up. When the gas builds up, you're either going to burp or the gas will travel through the rest of the digestive system and you'll "pass gas".

As Hyp mentioned, they tested this on Mythbusters. It took pounds of Pop Rocks and gallons of soda to get a pigs stomach to explode. First, I doubt anyone would consume that much of either at any one time. And second, they had a sealed system which did not allow the gas to exit either end as would normally happen.

working