jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Is popcorn a healthy snack?

1. DaveOnline profile image86
    DaveOnlineposted 4 years ago

Is popcorn a healthy snack?

2. MatthewParker profile image73
    MatthewParkerposted 4 years ago

Hi Dave, It all depends on what you put on it, if you put loads of butter and salt on it then it wouldn't be considered a healthy snack, but if you put just a little bit of sea salt then I would consider it healthy. Hope that helps, oh and also use portion control.

3. DaveOnline profile image86
    DaveOnlineposted 4 years ago

Thanks MatthewParker, what you say makes sense. I also think the oil used to make it might not be so healthy, I believe it is possible to make it oil-free in the microwave using a special receptacle.

1. MatthewParker profile image73
      MatthewParkerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome! Also I just  remembered another no oil popcorn making alternative, Air popping with air poppers such as this one http://www.amazon.com/Presto-04821-Orvi … 00006IUWB. Hope that works for you!

4. Anna Marie Bowman profile image92
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 4 years ago

Air popped popcorn without loads of butter and salt is the best for you. I put a little cayenne pepper or garlic salt on my popcorn for a little flavor. There are a variety of things you can sprinkle on popcorn to get flavor without adding fat, calories and salt.

DaveOnlineposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for you comment Anna Marie, I normally add salt to popcorn but no butter. I would imagine that the actual corn does have health benefits.

5. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

no, high in cholesterol.Once a while having a cup should be okay. Better go for fried fruits and nuts

DaveOnlineposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I haven't heard of fried fruits before, nuts yes; thanks for your advice

working