jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

How many holes are in a piece of Swiss cheese?

1. TheHoleStory profile image79
    TheHoleStoryposted 3 years ago

How many holes are in a piece of Swiss cheese?

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

It depends on both the type of Swiss cheese and the particular block it's cut from. What I buy called Alpine Lace seems to have hundreds of tiny holes in every slice - probably why they include "lace" in the name. Baby Swiss always seems to have fewer holes. For regular Swiss, I've had some like what's in your picture and some like I have now that only has a few holes in each slice.

3. profile image0
    MasterDripperposted 3 years ago

I have no idea but I will grab some coffee and eat a few thousand samples to net an average smile

4. PaisleeGal profile image77
    PaisleeGalposted 3 years ago

I think that would depend on the size of the slice...

5. alancaster149 profile image86
    alancaster149posted 3 years ago

On my travels once I met a little man - or was it a woman with a curly 'tash and leather shorts? - who told me the formula (get a pencil and paper):
    For every city in the canton = three large holes 1/2 inch diameter each;
    For every town  "       "         = three medium holes 1/4 dia. each;
    Per village         "       "         = four small holes 1/8 dia. each;
    Per farm (10+ cows) "     "     = five smaller holes 1/16 dia. each;
    Per farm (less cows) "     "     = five pin-holes 1/32 dia. each.
    We made our farewells and he/she went off yodelling (translation of message in the yodel: "one more, one more).

Whaddya mean you don't believe it?!

1. PaisleeGal profile image77
      PaisleeGalposted 3 years agoin reply to this

LOL  smile

6. lisavanvorst profile image79
    lisavanvorstposted 3 years ago

Wow, I never thought about this, plus I don't like Swiss Cheese. However, if I going to take a guess and say fourteen? I am curious as to what the correct answer is.

7. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 3 years ago

That piece in the photo reminds me of a sponge.  Did someone say Sponge Bob?  I have never thought of it before but now you have me wondering just how many holes on average does it have?  It's not my favorite cheese but I can eat it if it is the Amish brand because it is less bitter.

8. Bubblegum Jones profile image62
    Bubblegum Jonesposted 3 years ago

A piece of Swiss cheese is completely riddled with holes, and it's impossible to give an exact number of how many holes are in different pieces of Swiss cheese.