jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Are there any benefits to drinking hibiscus herb tea?

1. oceansnsunsets profile image89
    oceansnsunsetsposted 2 years ago

Are there any benefits to drinking hibiscus herb tea?

I love herb teas and teas of all kinds.  I have learned a lot about the health benefits of different herbs, but don't know much about hibiscus tea in particular.  Are there any health benefits to it?

2. therenegadehippie profile image81
    therenegadehippieposted 2 years ago

Hibiscus tea is lovely and I drink it quite often.  Hibiscus tea actually comes from part of the flower of the plant.  The flowers hold the medicinal properties.  A study conducted in 2004, published in Phytomedicine magazine, showed subjects who drank tea with 10 grams of dried calyces from Hibiscus for, four weeks had reduced blood pressure.There have been several other studies conducted since that points to evidence of this as well.  Hibiscus tea in general contains antioxidants that help promote a healthy heart.

There have also been studies and evidence that hibiscus tea can help lower or maintain cholesterol levels, reduce inflammation, and aid an upset stomach. Drinking hibiscus tea may help with digestion, and prevent an upset stomach by helping relax the smooth muscle of the intestine.  Additionally, Hibiscus has been used for things like treating coughs, poor appetite, and its antibacterial or anti-fungal properties.

oceansnsunsetsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your informative response.  I like hibiscus tea if I don't brew it for too long.

3. Akriti Mattu profile image79
    Akriti Mattuposted 2 years ago

Yes there are many benefits of drinking herbal tea, Hibiscus or otherwise.It keeps the body hydrated. In some cases (as in the case of hibiscus tea) it even lowers blood pressure. It helps you sleep better.

oceansnsunsetsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your helpful response!  Its a great tea.

working