jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What food dish or recipe is favored by your town?

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

What food dish or recipe is favored by your town?

some regions or towns are known for their favorite or popular dish. Which one is yours?

2. VerityPrice profile image92
    VerityPriceposted 2 years ago

I'm from the North-East of England and we tend to favour savoury pies (corned beef & potato, chicken & gravy, steak & ale, etc. etc. etc.). We also have pasties which are like self contained pies made from puff pastry. There's even a pasty with a savoury meat filling at one end and a sweet dessert at the other, it originates from the coal mining days when a worker would have to eat lunch in the mines. So rather than take down a parcel of foods he had his main course and dessert in one place!

In Teesside there's a dish called a Parmo, which is basically deep-fried chicken in breadcrumbs topped with a white b├ęchamel sauce and cheese. It is usually accompanied by chips (that's fries to Americans) and is usually only eaten by people coming home after a night on the tiles (in similar fashion to a kebab).

There is also the traditional British Sunday Roast. Which consists of roasted meat and a whole host of accompaniments. The Sunday roast that I usually make consists of: roast chicken, roast potato, mashed potato, peas, carrots, stuffing, Yorkshire pudding and gravy. It's so traditional that I had it every Sunday in my house growing up and I just can't bear to let it go big_smile

I think I'll stop there because I'm making myself hungry but there are so so many unique regional foods that have become a staple in the culture, I could go on all day! smile

Stacie Lposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I like meat pies and my family has made roast beef and Yorkshire pudding all long as I can remember.

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

I live in a city of about 150k north of San Diego by a half hour or so drive. Here as well as maybe the region very popular is carne asada a Mexican. It is a Mexican variant of thin sliced steak seasoned with a marinate. It is used with burritos and is very satisfying. It is combined with guacamole and a chunk style salsa. It is used with breakfast burritos, tacos, and tortas too. A very popular dish today is carne asada fries. It is a favorite for bar-b-q gatherings maybe greater than burgers.

Next, I think would be pizza . . .

Yes, I like Mexican food.

4. Blond Logic profile image97
    Blond Logicposted 2 years ago

Here in Brazil the national dish is feijoada which is a mixture of black beans and various pieces of meats. This is served with rice, butter cabbage leaves and a slice of an orange. Then farofa which is a yellow cassava flour is sprinkled on top.

Yours is an interesting question because I once asked a Norwegian what their national dish was. The gentleman thought about and then said, "pizza". I had to laugh.

This is new to me and sounds like an interesting new dish to try.

5. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

Definitely TACOS! Austin is the home of Torchy's Tacos, some of the most mouth watering flavors you can find in the universe! Their Queso and chips are to die for too. I could live a happy life eating nothing but Torchy's tacos!

I'm  getting hungry...did they have Taco Tuesday like many locales?

2. Austinstar profile image87
      Austinstarposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Every day in Austin is Taco Tuesday!

working