jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Is there really 9 ounces of chips in that bag?

1. Efficient Admin profile image91
    Efficient Adminposted 2 years ago

Is there really 9 ounces of chips in that bag?

Or is it really like 5 ounces?  The bag says 9 ounces of chips but when the bag is opened, it is half full of air and half full of chips, which looks like maybe 4.5 or 5 ounces only.  What do you think?

2. VerityPrice profile image92
    VerityPriceposted 2 years ago

If you look at the weight of the bag there is usually (at least in Europe) a lower-case 'e' next to it, this 'e' means 'Average approximate weight'. So they weigh everything in bulk and then divide to find out the average weight of a bag and just slap that on the packaging. So I would hazard a guess that the real weight probably fluctuates from bag to bag.

Why not open a bag a weigh it yourself on kitchen scales and then find out what percentage of the total weight is actually the nitrogen & the bag compared to the chips? smile

Efficient Adminposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Good ideal.  I try to figure out how much I eat since I track my food to lose weight.  A scale would be helpful.  Thanks for commenting.

3. ronbergeron profile image86
    ronbergeronposted 2 years ago

The air does two things:

1) It makes it look like you're getting more than you really are.

2) It acts as a cushion to help prevent the chips from breaking.

That makes sense. The less of those chips I eat, the better LOL !  Thank you for commenting.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

I would guess that if you look for fine print, you might find a disclaimer along these lines:

"Package is filled as full as practical with modern equipment.  Some settling of contents occurs during shipping."

But--do look carefully--the ounce statement may very well say, "net weight," which means the chips alone, exclusive of that added air.

At least, that's what they print on boxes of cereal.....Chips, I don't know.  I do know that the air is supposed to protect the chips from breakage, but I've found it doesn't always work. 

At any rate--air or no--chips are probably the worst value for your money in the store, right after that infamous cereal.

Yes I believe I will start reading the fine print. Chips are also high in calories just like some infamous cereal. Thanks for your helpful comments.

working