Is it considered rude to not reply to comments?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (77 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Lesleysherwoodposted 11 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5652894_f248.jpg
    Do you find that leaving comments and replying to them increases your stats, or does it take you away (time wise) from writing hubs?

1. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you should always reply to a comment left on your hub. They took the time to read it and comment you should take the time to thank them. Leaving comments yourself is completely up to you. My feeling is you should visit hubs and comment. I would start with visiting and leaving comments with the hubbers that have visited your hubs.

1. xstatic profile image59
        xstaticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good answer. It is common courtesy I think to reply to a comment.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't see an act of reading as being an implied debt.  I put it up for people to read if they feel they will benefit from it.  If they don't feel that, they should not read it.

2. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I honestly don't know if replying to comments increases the readership. I think in some cases it can. But I always try to reply out of common courtesy.

As poshcoffeco said: "If somebody takes the time to read and comment it is only polite to acknowledge that they have taken time to do this and to show your appreciation."

I even reply to less complementary comments either to clarify my assertions or to acknowledge, without agreeing with, the comment.

I never approve comments that are links to other sites though.

1. profile image0
        Lesleysherwoodposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think its good to reply to the less complementary comments in the manner you stated, it makes it better reading for the Internet User/Reader that stumbles upon that page

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I won't follow or read hubs by anyone who won't take the time to reply to my comments.  I don't care who they are or how good they are.  Ignoring me is....not the way to get me to read/comment.  Yes, I absolutely consider it rude to not reply to comments.

That all said....I sometimes might take a few days to reply, but I will reply.

1. tussin profile image58
        tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good God...

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
          Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree.... and though I reply to  a lot comments, it doesn't always happen.

I do NOT expect people to to reply to my comments.
          I'm glad if they gave me a read.  If they do comment, that's great and I appreciate it.  If not, that's fine too.
          The King or Queen expects a curtsy or bow.
          Personal friends expect a hug, handshake or hello .
          Aquaintences in a crowd might give a nod or a glance.
          On the net ...  no obligations or expectations.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Joseph041167 profile image61
          Joseph041167posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ Tussin-- "Good God." LOL!! LOL!!

2. mary615 profile image84
        mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you, Wesman.  I think it would be terribly rude not to respond after someone took the time to comment (good or bad).

4. Jamie Brock profile image90
      Jamie Brockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have always replied to every comment I have ever received unless it was spam or something like that.. if I have missed one, it was unintentional.  I just feel like I need to thank people who take the time to read and comment on my hubs and let them know I appreciate the support and encouragement. To me, it is extremely important.  Doing that also helps me to get to know people better too and I think that it really does help increase readership.

I also always try to leave comments on others hubs that I read and I usually get replies and I always appreciate that.  I have to say there is one active hubber here that I have commented on more than a few of her hubs and she has yet to acknowledge any of them. At first I thought I was being paranoid but when I get notifications and go back to look, she has replied to people before and after my comments. I really don't get it.  I just think it's a bit rude to do that especially if it's someone who has commented multiple times and I have always been very polite. Needless to say, I don't visit her hubs anymore.

2. profile image0
    Lesleysherwoodposted 11 years ago

Thanks Moonlake.  I always do reply to comments for the reason you said, but I was just wondering if it increases traffic more, or whether you get boycotted by other hubbers for being rude.

3. poshcoffeeco profile image82
    poshcoffeecoposted 11 years ago

If somebody takes the time to read and comment it is only polite to acknowledge that they have taken time to do this and to show your appreciation. There is a fine line, though between spending all of your time commenting and following others, when the job at hand is to write articles. I must admit that I scaled down my activity in this area as I felt all of my time was taken up with reading and commenting and replying to other people on HubPages.
    I now only follow people who's work interests me and I don't follow just because they have followed me. This alone saves time as you will get less comments to answer as not as many in the community will read your work. You really need the wider online community to read your articles via search engine searches. This means you should be aiming your work at a targeted audience through SEO and keyword research I am sad to say.

1. profile image0

You make the most sense to me.  I have done exactly the same as you.  I only follow subjects that I am genuinely interested in.  Whereas I used to follow anyone that followed me.  But its hard when you're fighting for time.  You can end up commenting and not writing any articles.

4. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

I will try to respond to any comment on my hub, and will visit that hubber looking for an interesting hub to comment on as well. 

Having said that, there are times when it just isn't practical.  I've had a couple of hubs receive the Hub Of The Day, and the resulting number of comments was just overwhelming.  I just don't have the time to reply to 50 or 100 comments received in a 24 hour period!

1. profile image0

I would love to have that problem.  Oh, to be overwhelmed with comments.  I have yet to get a 'hub of the day' smile

5. RobertSmith92 profile image61
    RobertSmith92posted 11 years ago

If people take the time to read my work and comment, it's only courtesy to reply to them.

6. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

I believe it is akin to a conversational statement being made in the company of others (other readers).. If someone considers it cool to ignore me and my (always positive) comment, then they have lost a loyal reader AND the opportunity to have my network also read their work! 

Being rude, is a personal choice of some, my personal choice is not to beat myself up over anyone with inferior communication skills... they have the problem and it usually is endorsed in how well they write, as clearly people with such as problem are also unable to 'engage' their readers!  To a real writer, that's fuel that powers their vehicle!

7. rasta1 profile image71
    rasta1posted 11 years ago

If I am walking in the streets and someone waves at me, I will wave back. It is no different in the virtual world.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

Exactly.... and what you wave back is also very important I believe!  smile

2. profile image0

that is a brilliant way of looking at it

3. quicksand profile image82
      quicksandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Way to go!   smile

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If the comment asks a question is needs a reply.  Otherwise, no.

9. ritsukakunx profile image63
    ritsukakunxposted 11 years ago

I don't get why. Do you really have to respond with something every time? Even if it is just to say "Thanks"? It really doesn't add to the article. What's the point? Just replying something like that should be considered spam! :p Also a waste of time for everyone involved! No need to reply unless a question in asked...

1. profile image0

I must admit, that worries me.  Lots of 'thanks' and 'good hub' comments.   I also worry that people are commenting without actually reading the hubs.  I know for a certain that's happened in my case.  They've read the headlines and skimmed.  Then surely they are just commenting for the sake of getting followers - are they not?

2. Jamie Brock profile image90

I get what you are saying.. no, it doesn't take away from the article at all. In fact, that is why I kept reading her stuff.. because I like it. It's just that she was replying to several others and never me. It is hard not to take that personal, that is all I'm saying. Being obviously ignored on several occasions is what I was talking about. It was bothersome.

It's obviously a person choice on whether to reply or not.. I just like to do it. I think it has helped get more readers and helped to get to know others here who want to get to know me.  I guess I should have just answered the OP question and left the extra out. Sorry!

10. tussin profile image58
    tussinposted 11 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize some people took this issue so seriously and considered it a personal insult when an author doesn't reply.  Ever hear of this thing called real life? Some times it interferes with a writer's ability to reply to every single comment.  Don't flatter yourself that it has anything to do with you personally. 

There are people here with 500+ hubs that are wildly popular and they might get more than 50 comments a day.  You expect them to set aside time each day just to stroke the egos of some very insecure hubbers who expect a personal reply to every "Great Hub!" comment they make?  Geez Louise. Get some perspective.

Comment because you like the article, not because you want acknowledgment. Some people really need to get over their damn selves.

1. profile image0

I agree

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. And I don't expect others to reply when I comment unless I ask a specific question.

3. Joseph041167 profile image61
      Joseph041167posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ Tussin again-- thanks, this is very insightful, and correct, thank you.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86

++++++1

11. Joseph041167 profile image61
    Joseph041167posted 11 years ago

No, it is not rude. You can even disable comments if you like. You can chose which ones to post and not. I have not went down that road yet. I have been fairly good about posting and recommenting, even in some cases where they were unintentionally exasperating me. There was one situation where I failed to give a timely response, and the guy noticed and asked. I absolutely did not mean anything by it, I just did not have time, I use library equipment, and never have enough time to do everything. It should not be rude not to reply. Also, there are going to be areas where it is best to stay out and leave it alone. If you have strong opinions and feelings on some controversial issues then leave it alone. If it is going to get you into a shouting match, then leave it alone. You can always just post a simple thank you I suppose. And there are gray areas. You want to be professional. You may want to encourage dialogue and openess to sevaral differant positions. Or, you may not. Or, you could just offer a simple thank you note. If you just leave it alone for whatever reason, this should be absolutely okay, I think.

12. moronkee profile image71
    moronkeeposted 11 years ago

It's always appropiate to reply to comments.I discovred that when I do, I get some nice people who offer to help solve my problem.

13. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Lesley....It never occurred to me to question what effect, replying to comments has on our stats.  If anything, I can't imagine it would be anything negative.  Regardless, I really have to say that I think this is a personal decision made by each individual hubber.   
    Let me just say that I certainly TRY to acknowledge comments, often, because I want to interact with my readers and express appreciation, as well.   There are times too, when I will respond out of simple courtesy.   Invariably a few people are missed, unintentionally.
    It's a common concern for every writer, to make the very best use of our time.  Yes, reading, commenting and further, replying to comments, is a bit time consuming.  It can and probably does, take away from writing time.  This, of course, leads to how each hubber reaches their individual decision.
    My main focus is not revenue, in particular.  Therefore, it's probably fair to assume I am not as frugal with my time, as another hubber, whose goal and intention is the "income."  And so it goes, different strokes for different folks.  I'm sure it is very rarely, a matter of rudeness.

1. Jamie Brock profile image90

Exactly.....I couldn't agree more! Can I delete my answer and put yours in, LOL! I seem to have ruffled a few feathers. Seriously, I've just started loving the community here and have been enjoying getting to know people and a lot of that is by commenting and replying to comments.

1. profile image0

that's whats awful about forums, you write with blood never to be erased. lol.

1. Jamie Brock profile image90

Absolutely :0/   Most the time its good.. but there are those rare times I would just like to go and delete it.

2. profile image0

I agree with Jamie and would love to echo what you have said.  I do love the community here and would hate to ruffle feathers as she says, i just need some more time.. have to get the hubby to cook me thinks, ha ha

14. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

To be honest, I used to think not replying to comments was rude. That was long before I had over 1,000 hubs to take care of. I used to reply to every comment and read a hub written by each commenter so that I could reciprocate. There's just no way I can do that now. I do feel bad about it sometimes, though.

1. profile image0

Exactly.  You're hubs are so popular - how could you keep up.  Although saying that you have always replied to me.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the kind words!

15. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

This is one of those questions that gets raised now and then and it's surprising how contentious it is.

I wrote a Hub on HubPages Etiquette which goes into this in more detail - you'll find it in the slider section of my profile.  Basically what I say is - it's a personal choice and depends enormously on how you use HubPages.

What Hubbers needs to remember is that it's all very well to say "you must respond to all comments" when you have only a few Hubs and no other internet presence. But if you're making a living online and HubPages is only a small part of your portfolio, there just isn't enough time in the day to post polite but meaningless responses to comments.

My take on it is this:  I don't ask for followers and I don't invite comments.  I provide a comments box so that if YOU feel strongly enough to comment, you have the opportunity to get it off your chest.  You're not doing me any favours by commenting, you're doing it for your own sake - so why should I thank you?   If you make a meaningful comment, I'll enter a debate with you, but I will never post just to say thank you.

Some people interpret that as rude.  That's their problem, not mine. If you look at the number of followers I have, it doesn't seem to have done me any harm.

1. tussin profile image58
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A much more polite rendition of my take on it wink

2. quicksand profile image82

You have a unique view and you are right. People comment for their own sake and not for the sake of the writer. Some want to be noticed and (preferably) followed!

However, the community issue also comes into play and so responding to a comment would be a good idea as long as such comments are not stereotyped like "great hub," which clearly issues a "me too" signal.

smile

16. expertscolumn profile image65
    expertscolumnposted 11 years ago

As a matter of being a gentleman and on the order of politeness, one should reply.

Even a gentle "toohoo" would be a enough to cause a fanfare within the reader's mind.

Thank you and have a great day

17. theodoresumrall profile image58
    theodoresumrallposted 11 years ago

Yes. I personally feel that one should definitely consider replying  to the comment not only for increasing stats but also for being a good writer.

18. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 11 years ago

I only make a remark if the topic interests me or the writer is a "personal HubPages friend." Whenever I make a comment on a hub written by somebody I am not acquainted with, I expect some kind of a response. If I don't get that expected response, I don't make any more comments on that writer's articles. That's because ... I am human ... like most people!   smile smile smile

19. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

Do I expect a reply to my comment? Depends on what I said. If I said "great hub", then no, I probably won't even notice you didn't comment, unless it is the first time I ever commented on any of your hubs. Once the relationship is established, I will not mind if you miss one or two replies.  Although even if I said "great hub" on five of your hubs and you didn't respond to any one of them, I would begin to take it personally.  If I bared my heart and soul and you didn't respond, it would feel like a thud and I probably won't be visiting that Hubber very often.  Then I would continue to follow them only if their hubs are the type of things I would pick up and read in a newspaper, magazine, etc.

What do I do?  I respond to each and every one of my comments that come from Hubbers.  If I miss one, it is by accident.  I try to respond to each person directly by name, but if I get a whole bunch of comments at a time, then I think it is okay to respond to the group as a whole.  I also go and read and comment on a hub by the commenter if I have time. Sometimes I can't find the time, and have to skip that step, but I think if they took the time to comment on my hub, I want to get to know them better and support them.

20. ajwrites57 profile image85
    ajwrites57posted 11 years ago

Good question Lesleysherwood! I think if someone took the time to comment, on my Hub, I should answer them.  Sure it takes me time, but it is well spent in keeping a sense of community in Hubpages.

21. seanorjohn profile image70
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

No comment.

Only joking. I always reply but I only have 16 hubs. It must be tricky for those with hundreds.

1. profile image0

ha ha ha

22. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

I make a sincere effort to reply to every comment.  I agree with those who have said it is simply the polite thing to do, given that the person took the time to read your article, and the additional time to leave a comment. 
    (That said, it is a lesson I learned after having been here for a while--some of the comments on my first efforts at writing Hubs did not get replies, and for that, I apologize.)

Currently, the only two categories of comments to which I will not respond are those in which the comment is irrelevant to the topic, and contains only a link to an external website, or if the "comment" is brief in the extreme and generic, such as "great article," followed by a link.  Those, I flag as spam, then delete.
    The others are those with criticism phrased in such a way as to be confrontational and rude.  For those, I simply hit the 'deny' button.  I do not regard the comments section as the proper forum for a nasty argument.

I will say this--and I do understand how easy it is to become overwhelmed by trying to respond to multiple comments, such as from a HOTD.  However, even a blanket, "Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments." is acceptable in those cases...at least the comments have been acknowledged, and anyone going back to read a response is not left wondering if the writer even read the comments.
    (I'm saying I understand when people do this; I do make a concerted effort to post individual replies to each comment, even if there are a lot of them.)

The thing I find the most rude of all, however, even worse than giving no reply at all, are those who pick and choose whom to answer, and respond to them by name, ignoring all the other comments.  That is like a slap in the face.  I generally will not leave further comments on such a person's hubs.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image92
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"The thing I find the most rude of all, however, even worse than giving no reply at all, are those who pick and choose whom to answer, and respond to them by name, ignoring all the other comments.  That is like a slap in the face.  I generally will not leave further comments on such a person's hubs."

I can understand that some people are busy, and may only want to respond to comments that asked a question or said something they consider response-worthy.  While I can understand the reasoning, I agree with DzMsLizzy, that it feels like a slap in the face when your own comment isn't considered response-worthy. I try to give other Hubbers a benefit of the doubt, but if my comments continue to get ignored like this, I will feel I have been put in my place as unworthy to that Hubber.

The Whole Point is though - You are not someone to be 'put in your place!' irrespective of who that particular person is, or considers they are, in relation to you and your ability to show respect by making a comment!  It is arrogant, intentional, rude, of no class and entirely an act of 'one-up-man-ship' that pays absolutely no respect whatsoever for the reader concerned! 

It is a culturally sensitive issue, which as such, shows how little respect some appear to have towards the fact that it is a multicultural place in which people (by invitation) from all over the world communicate... Many here do not have either the skills or the confidence to communicate effectively, or understand those from other countries, especially our mannerisms, sense of humor, local environments etc. 
        Being ignored is RUDE to most people from British Commonwealth countries for example...just as making an excuse for rudeness, simply endorses the rudeness!  Especially to those over the age 25! As a multicultural site, it should not be a US hubbers vs the rest venue... Factually though, we all don't think the same, as a result of where we come from etc... maybe that's more reason to be and certainly an opportunity to be, considerate!!

It should always be remembered that each good 'foreign' writer gives HubPages and it's US writers an exposure far higher than would be gained if those 'foreign' writers had not promoted the site actively in their own respective countries!  FACT: That's a very relevant point, when 1000s of other hubs and accounts are linked to we 'foreigners' often to our complete disadvantage! sad

It COSTS NOTHING to polite!! IMO.. If you need to excuse yourself to avoid that fact from relating to you, so you can merely endorse your attitude... then you are not only rude, but also not worthy of your readership! sad    One should always ask: 'What does that mean to a real writer?'  smile

Well that "slap in the face" really hurts! The cheeks swell too!   smile smile smile

23. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

I always reply to comments no matter how many I get. I simply consider it basic good manners, and after all, that person didn't have to comment on my articles at all, so the fact they did means that although I didn't have to respond, I feel that I should in order to return the compliment.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, and kind of wish we had "like" or thumbs-up buttons in here...like in the Q&A section...

1. quicksand profile image82

I used to think that those who achieve stardom here automatically get the license to slap the lesser mortals and this kinda thing is the accepted norm. However having read some of the posts here I am much relieved.
        smile --- smile

24. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

In answer to your original question in relation to traffic,  I doubt very much if comments play that big of a part.  I generally respond to comments, but not each one individually.  I thank every reader at the top of my comment section.  I don't consider it rude if the author doesn't respond to my comment, but I do think it's up to each hubber how they choose to handle comments.  I think it's silly to judge someone whether they choose to respond to comments. 

The hubs that have literally hundreds of comments most generally will not get a comment from me.  What's the point?  I don't want to scroll down through all of those comments.  I simply vote up and click on useful, etc.

Wasn't there an issue about this a year or so ago, maybe Panda related?  Having too many comments, especially when half of them simply say thanks for reading.. I vaguely remember something being discussed about it and some hubbers limited how many comments would show up.

1. profile image0

Ah... Now unless I haven't read this forum and have missed a point, you have hit the nail on the head for me and now I feel I asked the question badly.  The 'good hub' comments have surely got to effect stats.  Comments that contribute to the hub are surely the best.

25. profile image0
    tattuwurnposted 11 years ago

Not really... but to me I make every effort to reply comments as somewhat of a way of "giving back" to the other hubbers because they've really taken time to read and say their opinions in my hubs.

26. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Couldn't help but see this and totally agree.... it is, in my view the pinnacle of rudeness:

"The thing I find the most rude of all, however, even worse than giving no reply at all, are those who pick and choose whom to answer, and respond to them by name, ignoring all the other comments.  That is like a slap in the face.  I generally will not leave further comments on such a person's hubs."

I had never noticed this until I left a comment on a hub written by Paul E - he completely ignored it and replied to others... that to me is a reflection of respect (both ways) and arrogance!  Since then I have noticed that several others who should understand people better.. have also adopted this testimony of their inferior communication skills (shall we say).  If you don't comment generally - fine.. If you do - fine... but actively picking and choosing shows immaturity... it's got Nothing to do with being to busy... that's merely an excuse for the rudeness!

I Always Reply... and Always leave positive words on hubs I read... Irrespective of their quality, if the hub is an attempt to present a subject positively and as such, appeal to the reader!  Many of those I have noticed pick and chose who they reply to... aren't too flash as writers either... in many cases they are merely writing hollow opinions without any consideration or understanding what their readers 'enjoy' - I doubt they care what readers feel... just as they are totally thoughtless in what it means to view their work from a reader's perspective! 

The irony in this situation is: That most of the 'rude' ones, actually gauge their 'importance' on the real comments along with the social back patting remarks that are left on their pages! roll

A classic... (and a sad one) is currently on the feed - A hubber whose poem had been read and well commented on most genuinely, 2 months ago by Dusty - (50 Caliber) - probably one of the last he made before he died... and certainly one worthy of reply..... Only replied to him yesterday.. with absolutely no idea that it would not be read by him!  That to me, shows how detached some are to others and as such, also shows how much they genuinely care!  I'm sure when she finds out what happened to Dusty, she will realize that we shouldn't take other people, and those who cared enough about us, to take their time to read our writing and positively comment, for granted!  sad

1. profile image0

o that's so sad sad sad... I know what you mean though, it makes you feel that its a gang of mates and you're not included... school comes to mind

1. theraggededge profile image97
        theraggededgeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"A classic... (and a sad one) is currently on the feed - A hubber whose poem had been read and well commented on most genuinely, 2 months ago by Dusty - (50 Caliber) - probably one of the last he made before he died... and certainly one worthy of reply..... Only replied to him yesterday.. with absolutely no idea that it would not be read by him!  That to me, shows how detached some are to others and as such, also shows how much they genuinely care!"

But... you have no idea of this hubber's circumstances. What if they made a few hubs then hadn't been back to HP in a while. Just because you are here every day doesn't mean that everyone is. What if this hubber has been ill? Or otherwise hampered by events we know nothing about.

I've had an HP account for a couple of years but have only been active in the last few months. I have no idea who Dusty was. Why would I? Your comment in singling out this hubber is judgmental. In fact the whole thread has become judgmental and unnecessarily so. If someone likes one of my hubs and leaves a comment, then I really appreciate it. If they do so because they want reciprocation, then I'd rather they didn't bother in the first place.

Having said that, I always respond with a 'thank you', but I only visit their hubs if I have the time. I won't skim and leave a fatuous comment purely because I feel I should.

I think you may have completely Missed The Point! roll

Read what was written In Context... don't simply take it Out Of Context to Attack what I wrote, in context, thank you very much! 
          How dare you intimate that I am saying something that I am Not...
          If you have 5cents to add to a $10 comment.. great.. but kindly do so in context!  sad
          There was Nothing meant as Judgmental in what was said in the paragraph you are embellishing!  Clearly you have not considered the Whole picture... Have You???? smile

HERE is the balance of the post... which you Intentionally and Rudely Chose to Leave Out....

"I'm sure when she finds out what happened to Dusty, she will realize that we shouldn't take other people, and those who cared enough about us, to take their time to read our writing and positively comment, for granted!"  sad

Why would an intelligent person intentionally Remove such an important statement.... UNLESS it was their intention to Mislead or try to humiliate the poster?  sad
          Kindly be factual if you are attempting to 'mock' my posts... I welcome anything factual and constructive! smile

roll

Because the rest of your post is there for all to see. I quoted the part that I wanted to address. That's how it works - it's nothing to do with being rude or trying to humiliate you.

I still don't see why you singled this person out - that's being specific rather than making a general point. If that hubber reads your post she will probably be very humiliated and distressed that you consider that she took a now-deceased person for granted just because she only now got around to approving a post. How would you feel if someone pointed at you in that way?

So the rest of your statement does nothing to reassure the hubber and doesn't offset your uninformed opinion of her actions.

As I stated You Missed The Point!  Though in fairness, I believe that you did that intentionally, to allow your self righteous reprimand to carry some weight!  Factually, your excuse for not posting the entire comment... is exactly what I stated it was and a perfect example of rudeness from someone, who by their own authority takes it upon themselves to cry victim for someone else!

Why are you concerned about what I said... it was valid, honest, direct and not in any way disrespectful??  smile  Read it again... In Context... and then you may like to cease acting in a troll like manner in an attempt to vilify me! 

I actually take offense to your disrespectful reference to Dusty, the Gentleman Hubber who passed away... At no time did my post have anything to do with YOU and whether or not you knew Dusty is equally irrelevant...  You chose to degrade the meaning of my post... on something (once again) that had nothing to do with You!  So, as I said.... if you are going to refer to anything about me... you make sure that you get your Facts straight and stop relying on embellished fantasies to attack others with!

I don't believe I need your help in deciding whether or not I got it right in what I said... the mere fact that you have chosen to approach what you consider to be an issue (which doesn't directly affect you) in the manner you have, in my opinion is just another example of the very point that you chose to avoid!  Have nice winter up there, you're quite welcome to join us BBQing at the beach today, but please leave the dish selection to me!!   cool

As you have taken your hysterics to a whole new level, and are unable to see that by singling out this unfortunate hubber you could cause distress, there is no point continuing the discussion. I just hope you did not leave a comment on her hub informing her that she obviously had taken Dusty for granted.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

My feelings exactly.  If people are reading my Hubs or commenting on my Hubs to do me a favour, then I'd rather they didn't.  If they're reading and commenting to increase my traffic, and they're hoping I'll do the same for them, then I'd rather they didn't. 

I write my Hubs to be helpful to people.  I provide a comments box for people who feel the need to have their say.  In other words, in both cases I'm providing a service TO the reader - so theoretically, they should be thanking me rather than vice versa (although obviously I wouldn't expect that!).   

As I said in my etiquette Hub, I have no problem with Hubbers who want to acknowledge every comment. There is a wide spectrum of Hubbers, we're from many different cultures and we all use HubPages in our own way - let's not be judgmental and certainly let's not call anyone rude just because they have a different view.

I recall having a lively debate with Habee over this very topic some time ago.  At the time, she was a fairly new Hubber and a champion of the "acknowledge every comment" brigade.  Now, as her online commitment grows, she realizes how unrealistic that is for some people.

27. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 11 years ago

Receiving comments and responding to comments can and will increase your traffic.  A well worded comment and/or a response to a comment should include some of the keywords... In other words if a person comments about your hub on stereos for under 100.00, it helps that they include such words as stereos and "under 100.00."   Google sees comments and replies as part of the article text when they cruise through and take a gander.  The more related your comments and replies are, the more of a boost you and your readership will give to your hubs.

Edit: This response may seem off track, however the OP did also ask the question about comments/replies and increased traffic.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure what Google sees, but you have brought up a point that was discussed over a year ago in regard to what looks like keyword stuffing.  I know a few ex hubbers who used to repeat their keywords in each of their comment responses, and it was very much 'keyword stuffing', to the point that the article lost authenticity.  Comments need to be genuine on both ends, from the reader and the author.  As far as helping with traffic increase, the votes and accolades may have an influence with search engine traffic.

Yeah, that's another interesting point.   smile

28. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I think it is over-sensitive to take insult from people responding only to comments that seem to require a response.

29. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 11 years ago

I dunno, man, HubPages isn't a social networking site. I'm not using the service to chat about my articles. 90% of the time my only goal is to get some cash outta anything I write.

I'll reply if I think about it, but i often don't even check and certainly have long since decided I won't get into a back and forth regarding critiques of the writing.

1. Len Cannon profile image89
      Len Cannonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)