how long you keep the cooked food in fridge?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (45 posts)
  1. sarovai profile image74
    sarovaiposted 13 years ago

Some people they keep the cooked food in the fridge for nearly 3days. I do not like such food , and I insist them not to keep cooked food in fridge. How do you see? Is it the right way? or how days you are keeping the cooked food in fridge?

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see that you have had alot of response to this but nobody has asked you about your fridge and that is the most importance part of the equation.... hmm

Is it plugged into a power source (other than a hamsterwheel)?
      Are it's seals good enough to keep BlowFlies out of it?
      Does your fridge maintain a temperature below minus four degrees?
      Do vermin (rats or mice) nest under your fridge?
      Do you store Live Chickens in your fridge?
      Is it Really YOUR Fridge?
      Do you use the Icebox for ANYTHING other than frozen pizzas?
      Do you have an over abundance of old Fridge Magnets attached to your fridge? hmm

The BumbleTown Health Department reccommend that cooked food can be given to others only after the feathers have been removed and all cooked animals (including Oysters) have had their hooves removed.

Good Luck with your bacterial concerns and I hope your ducks do not float in your fridge tupperware bowls. yikes smile

sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Checked throughly good running condition with fruits , icecreams and vegetables and eggs. hmm  no cool smile

2. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

I guess it depends on what it is. Normally if it is leftover meal from that night I only like to eat it until the next day.

It is good.

3. Csjun89 profile image60
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

It really depends on the kind of food

Cooked food can last longer though, as the heat kills the germs and bacteria, of course it wouldn't taste as good

4. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Whenever we have leftovers -bbq, s'ketti, chili, stew, roasts, etc- I generally serve it two days later. I don't know what the officially right answer is. We just do it that way to break things up. Like if I feed my kids pasta one night, I figure it's better to skip a day before feeding them it again. I like to rotate meats or fish and veggies, rices and pastas and potatos. It's my effort at balanced nutrition.

Properly sealed or covered, I've never felt badly holding things over for two days. I don't know how long is okay though. Two days is all I ever do. I'm a creature of habit. big_smile

Some foods maybe not such a great idea to even save for two days, like egg dishes, dairy based sauces, that kind of stuff.

I mainly worried about the taste? how about you?

5. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

I like your avatar, btw.

6. Corin profile image59
    Corinposted 13 years ago

It depends on the kind of food: if it is foods like stew or curry, I can keep it up to 2 days.
    Usually I don't like having leftover, so if it isn't eaten the next day, I would  throw it away.

7. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Some chick just wrote a book on this.  They had her on NPR a few weeks back.  If I had to refine the entire conversation down to a nutshell, she was basically saying 3 things: 

1. Americans are such germiphobic pansies and have no clue how spoiled and candyass they are.

2. Americans are such morons, they buy into dates that condemn food prematurely because the manufactureres know people will dump it and go buy new ones once the magic number expires.

3. Use your nose; you evolved a sense of smell for the specific purpose of keeping you safe (unless you are religious, in which case you evolved nothing and smell is just sort of a random thing that makes no sense.)

1. Ivorwen profile image64
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

She obviously does not know this American!  big_smile

Everything goes through the smell test, because heaven only knows how long it has been there.  Having said that, most stuff in my fridge is stuff that could live on in a cool counter for several days, without going bad.  (I live in a very dry climate.  Even when it is raining, things will dehydrate in my cupboards.)

Meat is usually used in a week or less.  Vegetables also have a fairly short shelf life, but prefer not to collect them until I am ready to use them.  Anything else had better last until I am done with it!

I have lived without refrigeration before, and it is not a huge deal.  However, during that time, I found that food lasted much longer if it was cooked well.  You can always turn something into a stew or stir fry with sauces, if it gets too dry.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YEP!

The crock pot is your left over friend!  My wife turns so much crap that I wouldn't touch anymore into kick ass stews and soups.

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I'd go with that Shades!
    In my fridge, I keep the remains of previous meals a few days - I prefer to see it eaten by the third day, but if it isn't, well if it smells OK it gets eaten anyway.
    If cheese has gone mouldy, I just scrape it off. Hey cheese is too expensive to throw away - and anyway, if it is good enough for penicillin...
    I throw away turned milk and cream, just because it looks and smells awful.
    And sometimes the lettuce turns to mush in my fridge because I forgot to eat it in time.
    But my mother is something else! Everytime I go home I check her fridge. She has been known to keep foodstuffs in there 2 years!! She'll say to me "It's perfectly all right", and usually it smells OK but the mould has grown out of the container so much you can't even see what was originally there!

As such , there will be big difference ready cook food to cooked preserved food in fridge. Mainly it starts with taste.So, I avoid keeping food in fridge unless otherwise it is unavoidable.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You sound like me smile I don't worry about mold on cheese because cheese sometimes sits underground for 3 years before it's even sold.

I try to eat my leftovers within 5 days.

3. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My mother was just the same. May be it's Old timers habits (save everything). She would eat completely rotten stuff and never got sick.
      In my experience if you cook something with lots of vinegar like borsch(russian beets soup), with sourcrout (fermented cabbage) or jalapeno peppers - it will stay for a very long time even without a refrigeration, and it will be fine. Sourcrout dishes even taste better with time. I always find it amazing! Regular cooked stuff - a week is enough with good refrigeration. My cats don't like old cutlets from the fridge though! Bastards!

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the older generation who lived through food rationing during or after the war learned to not waste any foods. A lot of what my parents taught me has rubbed off - I hate food waste too.

I'd be calling the cats those names too LOL. You'd think they'd be grateful to get something better than proprietary cat food! Fussy gits!

9. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

If it does not smell or look like it has evolved into a higher lifeform then normally it is safe.... Don't be such a worry about food, a bit of mould will not kill you (most of the time). Exposure to a few bugs can help your immune system!!

What did you eat last time you ate out? How long had that been in the fridge or sat on the floor at the back of the burger joint where it fell??

Cheese is mouldy milk, with various types of mould in it, some meat is hung for weeks and weeks before you get it and so on...

Your nose is there for a reason, what did your grandparents do before they invented the best before and sell by date??

good question. Hope they might have been using some sort of preservative techniques or they ate raw form.

10. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I'll have to go with Shadesbreath on this one too...though leftovers rarely stay in the fridge for more than 3-4 days before they're gone, if it's still good we keep it. My husband and I both hate waste and both have known what it's like not to have food, so if at all possible we never waste anything edible. Dinner leftovers usually end up being good lunches or another dinner 2-3 days later. As for flavor, as long as it's covered so the food doesn't take on odors or flavors from the rest of the fridge it's just fine, and tomato-based foods tend to taste even better on the second or third day...when in doubt, microwave it, there's not a lot of germies that can live through the microwave.

Very nice to hear from you that 3-4 days food items taste better.

11. Betty Reid profile image59
    Betty Reidposted 13 years ago

I'm embarressed to tell you how long I keep food in the fridge.  I will say I got food poisoning yesterday, probably from food in my own refrigerator.  After reading this thread, I'm wondering why I didn't get sick sooner.

12. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

If it's something that freezes well, freeze it instead of putting it in the fridge.  You can always reheat it 2-3 days later, but it won't go bad for a long time this way.  Obviously, somethings don't freeze well.

13. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I got one of the Foodsaver machines and since there are only 2 of us here to eat my cooking I often have leftovers that I freeze - with this vacuum/seal machine it makes it easy and they keep a long, long time. no freezer burn or ice crystals.  But unfortunately sometimes food in my fridge doesn't make it to the freezer and goes bad before we eat it.  I'm trying to be less wasteful though, so I am using almost everything I cook - or else it gets frozen and used later.  Like today I made barbecue ribs and we ate half and I froze half for another day.

14. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

I let cooked food cool down a bit before I put it in the fridge, just so there's less condensation.  I also cover it or put it in sealed container.  It's usually good for 3 days or so..depending on the food. 

You need to know what to look for and smell.  Don't assume anything.  If it's starting to grow anything that looks even a little bit blue and white, it's too late..you got mold.  It usually smells a bit too.  Same goes for fruits and veggies.  If they start to get slimy when stored in the fridge, it goes out.

You could take a chance, but why bother..it's no fun puking later on yikes

15. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

If there are any leftovers, then 3 days and only if I was the cook.  If it's someone else who's cooked, then 2 or I might not even keep it.  Ok, I sound nasty on this one, but if you knew some of the people who cook to "help" out, you probably wouldn't even eat it.  Put it this way...the dog won't even sniff their cooking.  lol

16. sarovai profile image74
    sarovaiposted 13 years ago
  17. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 13 years ago

I usually try to eat cooked food that it's put in the frig after 1-2 days max, sometimes 3 depending on what it is. If I get something like pizza delivered to my house, I try to eat it within a day or two.

18. Dense profile image59
    Denseposted 13 years ago

5 days max for me. I keep food in sealed Tupperwares even for 1 hour. If I need longer than 5 days, then I'll just put it into the freezer. smile

1. Ign Andy profile image56
      Ign Andyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do too, in sealed Tupperware 5 days max, usually in 2 days all leftover already eaten.

2. Dense profile image59
      Denseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad to know I am not the only one, though I must admit that I had once tried 7-day old food, the kind that wasn't meant to be kept that long, if you know what I mean. smile

19. ShoppingIncognito profile image61
    ShoppingIncognitoposted 13 years ago

sorry, I don't like left overs

20. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

When it comes to turkey or chicken some people like to freeze portions to take down for later to make sandwiches, soups and salads.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I usually turn left over meat into another dish then freeze it as a cooked dish, like curry. It's more economical to make a whole batch at once, set aside enough for eating that day, and freeze the rest in meal-sized portions for future use.

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like my cat's I don't like old meal. But I like to save money, so I try to make a diferent dish from leftovers. Let's see: Mashpotatoes->Sheppard Pie->Perogies.  Fried chicken->Chicken Nuggets->Stir-fry->Egg-rolls. And so on. Recipies are endless. Not the budget.

21. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

after reading this thread yesterday, I cleaned out my fridge last night... and found two containers with mold growing and threw out a carton of yogurt, a package of unopened mushrooms... it's sad..
    then I say to myself, why do I save leftovers?? food poisoning is very prevalent now with these super bacterias. my oldest son was sick for almost a week after eating raw oysters from a restaurant.

freeze it or cook less and eat it within one day. the temp should be between 35 and 40 degrees F. freezer set at 0 F especially if you have a lot of food.

22. LeanMan profile image80

I have been known to keep food in there for a few months, but at this point it normally tries to escape all by itself...

23. nanospeck profile image59
    nanospeckposted 13 years ago

My Uncle says eating food after 3 hours of cooking is useless to body. Hez an Ayurvedic Doctor!

24. LeanMan profile image80

you're meant to cook it?????????????

25. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Actually, cooking most fresh foods (veggies) destroys the enzymes that enable you to digest the food.  Your stomach has to work a bit harder to produce more of its' own enzymes.  Many people swear by eating everything raw for this reason.  To each his own...

The best way is to cook veggies is steaming, just long enough to heat through, to minimize the enzyme loss.

The digestion of raw veggies or cooked one depends on hereditary. If you try to change the habit from cooked to raw veggies , you need to start from small quantities. but it takes time to get used. And there is also side effects.

1. timorous profile image81
        timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Quite so, sarovai.  Some people are also allergic to certain raw foods, but not allergic to the same food when it's cooked.

By digging your profile , my assumption come true. You know quite lot about naturopathy.

1. timorous profile image81
            timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot, sarovai.  You might like to read the hubs too and visit my website [shameless plug] smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)