Vegetarian sandwiches

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (29 posts)
  1. sunflower1 profile image61
    sunflower1posted 14 years ago

Need some ideas for non-traditional meatless sandwiches.

1. Brandon E Newman profile image65
      Brandon E Newmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

1. Deli-sliced tofurkey, lettuce, and tomato, with dijon mustard.

2. Fresh mozzarella slices, tomato, and basil- caprese pannini.

3. Grilled eggplant cheeseburgers

4. Cashew butter, fried plantain, and raspberry jam, on toasted rye.

5. Jicama slaw. with agave syrup and lime juice between fried flour tortillas with cinnamon and sugar.

6. Grilled zucchini fajitas, with grilled onions, peppers, and guacamole.

I haven't tried any of these. just ideas.

2. sunflower1 profile image61
      sunflower1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You all have great ideas and have given me inspiration . I am gearing my sandwiches towards teenagers and need to give all your great ideas creative names that will hide the great taste contents.  BTW one of my favorites is American cheese on choice of bread with mayo, sliced cucumber and celery salt. Try it ummm!

3. marcel285 profile image66
      marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cream-cheese and tomato. cucumber and tomato. Red onion and cream- cheese. Sun-dried tomato, olives and cream-cheese. Curried carrot (shredded and simmered.)  Bean sprouts and pumpkin seeds.

2. Princessa profile image78
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

I love French goat's cheese (like a Valençay) sandwiches made using a freshly baked baguette.  You need a baguette because slice bread is too soft and it doesn't really help to delight on the texture of the cheese.

3. sunforged profile image77
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

marinated portobella, roasted reds, goat cheese, balsamic on a nice crusty bread.

eggplant parm w/ mushroom and fontinelli

mini veggie pizzas on flatbreads

peanutbutter and banana on whole wheat with honey (super energizing)

asparagus sauteed in garlic wrapped and cooked in croissant dough (pillsbury works) your choice of cheese melted inside

...just another tasty week at the sunforged household

1. Beth100 profile image70
      Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

mmmm, sounds sooooo goood....you might find me at your doorstep!  big_smile

2. torimari profile image67
      torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mmm, these are great ideas.

I also like taking whole wheat wraps, and slicing up all left over or soon to wither veggies so I use them. I take the sliced up veggies (tomato, mushroom, asparagus, salad, radishes...anything really), toss them in some italian dressing, maybe add some cheese and roll them up into a wrap.

Simple yet delicious and not wasteful.

Cooking a slice of eggplant in some light soy sauce will make it taste meaty if you crave a meat-flavor.

Any veggies on bread with red pepper hummus is a great substitute instead of mayo.
      ^_^

1. sunforged profile image77
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i really enjoy eggplant for just that reason, it takes to seasoning and one can really play with the texture..ill def try the soy sauce touch

as a general thing - a little extra scorch/crunch on the bread or veggies seems to appeal to meat eaters and reformed carnivores a bit more as a replacement - hence why almost everything i suggested was a baked sandwich

-and now I have to go eat! really

3. sunflower1 profile image61
      sunflower1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks sunforged sound good. Do you think I could make the vegi pizza on flat bread into a sandwich?

1. sunforged profile image77

sure, fold it in half !..or use two slices of flatbread and make it stuffed pizza style

plus the flatbread part is pretty general

try pita with feta, your choice of veggies

or tortillas with cheddar, peppers, onions, any traditional taco toppings..good sandwich to keep your protein up with some blackbeans added

or focaccia bread a little oil, diced tomato fresh basil, fresh mozz

all are sandwich style and have minimal prep, set your oven or toaster oven to preheat - while you prepare it..the longest cooking time  on this list would be sauteing onions

4. Princessa profile image78
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

peanutbutter, banana and honey?  I need to try that sunforged, I need something energizing!

1. Beth100 profile image70
      Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

We shake a bit of cinnamon on top...soo delish!

2. sunforged profile image77

it really is energizing..short term energy from the honey long term from the carbs, plus the protein thats needed for healthy veg lifestyle

its kind of ridiculous but occasionally ill make that sandwhich on french toast and def use cinnamon then

But keep in mind..a very similar sandwich was an integral part of the creation of "fat elvis"...his fave was peanutbutter and mashed banana sandwiched fried in bacon fat!...of course he would eat a dozen in a sitting...that might have had something to do with it

3. Rochelle Frank profile image93
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is my breakfast most days of the week-- on double fiber bread. Filling, healthful, protien-- with a cup of green tea.
      You can drizzle some honey on it, but that makes it a little messy.

5. Sufidreamer profile image81
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Feta cheese, tomato, and sliced Kalamata olives big_smile

6. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 14 years ago

Grated Cheddar with either sliced spring onion or a few slivers of raw red onion.

7. Sara Tonyn profile image60
    Sara Tonynposted 14 years ago

Nice and simple:

Slices of tomatoes, cucumbers and onion

Provolone cheese

Pepper rings (mild or hot)

Mayo (gotta have mayo!)

Oil & vinegar dressing (or whatever your fave is)

8. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

I like eggplant but can never seem to cook it at home.

9. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I take a crusty baguette and drizzle it with olive oil, then add basil, tomato and mozzarella and toast it, then arugula or some other lettuce, and drizzle with balsamic. Mmmm.

10. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Or I make Greek Salad pita pockets. Warm pita with salad tossed in a vinaigrette.
    Or I use a good thick sliced wheat bread and put a little veggie cream cheese, sliced cucumber, sliced tomato, and sprouts.

11. sarovai profile image78
    sarovaiposted 14 years ago

Back to veg. Thanks for influencing:)

12. WriteAngled profile image70
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I like slices of avocado with lettuce, tomato and onion.

Sliced smoked tofu is good.

A vegan friend used to spread bread with marmite and then with peanut butter when he wanted a replacement for cheese spread.

A crazy favourite of mine is fried onion between bread spread with tomato ketchup.

My mum liked a sandwich of lightly salted sliced radishes.

13. profile image53
    probafixposted 14 years ago

Nice and simple:

Slices of tomatoes, cucumbers and onion.

tomato sauce nd green sauce on bread slice.

I really like it.

1. sarovai profile image78
      sarovaiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice. I like that.smile

14. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

You can try spreading some hummus in between two slices of bread for a snack. 

You can also grill a portabello mushroom with cheese and put it in between two hamburger patties and you've got a veggy cheeseburger.

15. VeganWorldTrekker profile image61
    VeganWorldTrekkerposted 14 years ago

1. falafel in rollup
    2. faux sliced beef or faux chicken with avocado in wheat bun.

16. aliceone profile image59
    aliceoneposted 14 years ago

I fry planks of tofu in my cast iron skillet, add fresh minced garlic. I can't have bread any longer, so I use corn tortillas (also quick seared in the skillet) to make more of a wrap. Fresh slices of tomato or avocado, a little sea salt. Slice in some sweet onion if you like savory. Heaven!

Also fantastic- oregano flavored hummus with fresh sprouts in a seared tortilla.

17. M. T. Dremer profile image80
    M. T. Dremerposted 14 years ago

Depending on how strict of a vegetarian you are, eggs are a good option for protein. Also I've found that a lot of name brand vegetarian items like bacon, hamburger and chicken all taste very good (in some cases better than the meat alternative). A BLT with vegetarian bacon is amazing!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)