jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (22 posts)

So excited to make fresh pasta tonight

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago via iphone

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5194366_f248.jpg
    I borrowed my dads kitchenaid pasta attachment to make fresh pasta tonight. Anyone have a good recipe or tips to help with my first time?

1. sassyk73 profile image78
      sassyk73posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I wish I did....I need to get one of those. My hubby loves pasta. Let me know how it turns out. There are many cooks on hubpages that will help you out smile

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image82
      Marina Lazarevicposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have an awesome pasta cookbook at home that I will bring for you on Monday! I've never made my own pasta but it is one of my favorite things to eat. Maybe you will find a recipe you like!

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image90
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

You are actually making the pasta itself????

Hey, that's awesome!  I hope that turns out well for you - but I'd be clueless myself.

I know for certain that I love making pasta dishes.  I'm finding that there are unlimited choices for nuance so far as pasta dishes are concerned.

The finer things in life, like food, something good to read, music, and conversation - that's where the good stuff is at!

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 6 years ago

I'm jealous. I'm too cheap to buy a fresh pasta maker, but I've always wanted one. Hope yours turns out wonderfully.

4. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 6 years ago

Paul you are just showing off, trying to make every one jealous.

Can I come over for dinner?

5. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 6 years ago

K9KeyStrokes has a terrific Hub with recipes, directions, and pictures.

6. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

I just talked with my brother.  He's made it a few times and says it's a little tricky.  I sure hope it turns out!  Looking for an easy recipe to use in the kitchenaid.  The cutter and roller attachments are pretty cool.  I'm wondering if I need something to hang the pasta on to let it dry, or is that optional?

7. eatlikenoone profile image71
    eatlikenooneposted 6 years ago

I am hope to get one of those attachments for my mixer someday when I have the money.

Hope it works out for you.

8. charlesspock profile image87
    charlesspockposted 6 years ago

Oh those kitchen aid pasta machines are fantastic, so much easier than the traditional hand crank. It was a very happy day when that arrived at the restaurant!

When I make pasta I hang it on one of those drying racks for clothes, the ones that unfold like an acordian. The spacing between the rods is perfect length for pasta. I hang it so the pasta just reaches the next rod below then just snip the top with scissors when it is dry, and put it on a tray or in a tub. 

You can cook it fresh, but if you hang it and dry it the pasta can be stored in the freezer (in a container / ziploc bag) for later. Fresh pasta also takes only about 2-3min to cook to done, have fun making pasta is so much fun!

9. Paul Edmondson profile image

It was awesome. I made an Alfredo sauce to go with it. A new hub is coming:)

10. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

nice! You sound like you're quite the chef. Yum, love fresh pasta!

Did you get your slow cooked BBQ for Fathers Day?

11. Paul Edmondson profile image

The fresh pasta was awesome.  I served it with an alfredo sauce.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

So, what do you do? Do you buy the pasta sheets in the supermarket and use the cutter to make the different pasta shapes? Is that what it does?
      Paul, no fair... you should have invited me over. I'm a great cook, you know? hmm

12. Paul Edmondson profile image

You make the dough in the mixer and then roll it and cut it with the kitchenaid attachments.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That adds two more steps to the process. Seems like it's easier to buy the pasta already done. Although I can't find the tagliatelle in the supermarket and I have to settle for whatever they have available. hmm Do you have to buy separate blades for each type of pasta?

13. Paul Edmondson profile image

It's definitely easier to buy in the store:). The cutting attachments include one for linguini and one for spaghetti.

1. charlesspock profile image87
      charlesspockposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Making pasta is soulful and joy filled cooking of the most ancient origins. Getting to experience the textures and transformation of the dough into a great tasting dish is perhaps the best part. Plus, it gets easier and faster each time you make it.

14. yogiwan profile image60
    yogiwanposted 6 years ago

Great idea Paul. Try using Semolina flour, it's still traditionally best, plus it allows your dough to be formed into a large variety of shapes, so gonna be more fun and enjoyable, goodluck!

15. Paul Edmondson profile image

I saw several recipes with Semolina flour, although I went with a recipe that used all purpose flour.  I had to improvise a bit, so I was pleased the noodles turned out!

1. eatlikenoone profile image71
      eatlikenooneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Glad it worked out. Try doing it with semolina sometime. I think it adds more flavor.

16. cardelean profile image89
    cardeleanposted 6 years ago

Yummy!  My sister makes homemade ravioli and she usually makes it for all of us during the holidays.  My mother in law makes homemade noodles for her chicken noodle soup.  Noodle making is on my list of things to learn how to do.

working