Spicy, tasty Shrimp biryani or prawn biryani
Recently i came through many hubs which have some great recipes for chicken biryani, i too am planning to write a hub on that but right now i am busy with other things but yes its on the list! I was so inspired after reading these recipes that even i wanted to write a recipe on biryani. There are times when you want to cook just one dish which is delicious,spicy and very tasty at the same time and what can be more spicier than Shrimp biryani! It actually takes less time to cook than the other biryani (chicken and lamb). This time i clicked some pictures of it while cooking. However i could not put the garnished , " decorated " picture of it because as soon as i took it off the gas, a very hungry husband jumped on it.
- Shrimp or Prawn- cleaned, deviened- 1/2 pound
- Chili- 2-3 cut into small pieces
- Onion- 2 meduim sliced
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1tsp
- Clove- 5
- Cinnamon- 1
- Bay leaf- 1
- Cardamon- 2 nos
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- as required
- coconut water/ milk- 2tsp (optional)
- Oil- 5- 6tsp
- Turmeric- 1tsp
- Red chili powder- 1tsp
- Pepper powder- 1tsp
- Garam masala- 2tsp (available at any Indian grocery store)
- Ginger garlic paste- 1tsp
- Tomato- 1 sliced
- Coriander- for garnishing
- water- 2 cups
- yogurt- 1tsp
- Soak rice in a bowl half an hour before cooking.
- You can even marinate prawn with turmeric, red chili powder and salt (this time i did not marinate the prawn and still they turned out to be tasty).
Prawn/ shrimp are very healthy. They are good at curing heart and eye problem and not to forget the nutritional values too! They contain omega 3 fatty acids which help prevent heart diseases, circulatory diseases. They also contain B12, iodine, phosphorous, zinc, calcium, sodium and magnesium.
- Heat oil in pan (you can also use ghee)
- Once the oil is heated, add mustard seeds, bay leaf, cumin seeds. cloves, cinnamon and cardamon.
- Once the seeds start sputtering, add onion and chili
- Fry till golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Mix well
- Fry for 2 minutes
- Add tomatoes
- Add turmeric, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder
- Mix well, let it cook for 2 minutes
- Add yogurt
- Add 1/4 cup water in the spices, let the water dry
- Add shrimps, mix well.let it fry for 5-10 minutes
- Add water if necessary, you can also add coconut water or coconut milk also(optional)
- Put rice in the pan, mix well
- Pour water, add salt if necessary
- Close the lid of the pan and cook till the rice is done.
- Garnish with cilantro/ coriander
- Serve hot.
- You can have it with lassi or juice
Here are some links to help you make spicy biryani
- Mushroom Masala
Spicy mushroom recipe. Cooked in a few minutes.
- different types of tasty and healthy rice recipes
Learn how to cook rice in different ways,easy and tasty recipes not to forget the nutritional value.
- Coconut Chutney
Easy coconut chutney which is simple, quick and healthy. To be used a side dish.
- Spicy and tasty Fish curry
Fish is one of the most favorite dish in the eastern India especially the West Bengal area. Not to mention it is also one of the favorite dish of my husband too and of those dishes which I do not enjoy cooking or eating much. However fish is...
- Hot yogurt soup
I think that every yogurt lover should definitely try this recipe. In this spicy and sweet dish, yogurt is tempered with spices. Yogurt is usually consumed cold or in liquids. This dish however is very different from the usual yogurt recipes.This...
- Home made chicken hot and sour soup without corn sta...
I have never prepared home made soup. I always used to think that they will not be as tasty as the ones served in the restaurant. However this misconception was broken when I had hot and sour chicken soup yesterday at a friend's home. It was very...
- Illish maach bengali style ( milk fish recipe)
Easy illish maach in mustard gravy