Question about multiple links to sites in my hub

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I'm working on a hub that accesses certain government websites and other organizations.  Each has a home page, and then branching pages with more specific information (Duh, I know, bear with me)...

So, say I list the home page as a link.  But then, on a subordinate page there are several quotes along the way that I want to link directly to that portion of the page (you know how the links can actually take you to specific text? - wish i knew how to do that lol)...

SO, my quesiton is:   If I have like three or four (or more) links that are going to different portions of a page, does the Google spiders or whatever happens to hub ranks on Google see that as me being "overly promotional" and think I'm "selling" that site? 

I'd like to hit several quotes on several pages on a few different sites, but don't want to get dinged on a technicality (my hub is all informational, not selling anything - which is why I don't make money lol, )

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You will definitely get caught in the HubPages "overly promotional" filter.  It's automated, they don't know whether you're being commercial or not.

I would publish it then email the HP team to explain.  Or vice versa.

Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Will they do something to Un-spammify it in the hubrating or something?

Bottom line, though, seems to be not to put more than 2 links.  I wonder if the site is a .gov if that will help.  Any idea on that?

Thanks for the responses.  I guess I'll just hold out and hope some HP person of suitable expertise happens to stumble across this.

1. profile image0
          Norah Caseyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Shadesbreath,

Hopefully I can help. You are not allowed more than two links to a promotional domain. In other words, you can have as many links as you need from a .gov or other non-promotional entity's site. Just don't go too crazy. At a certain point, the links become distracting and reduce the quality of the hub (I'd say no more than 15, depending on the length).

This is certainly a tricky rule. Honestly, I didn't even realize we could have more than 2 links to a non-promotional domain when I wrote my first two hubs. I went scouring the internet for alternative URLs to avoid getting a stern email from the moderation bot. smile

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Google spiders won't care, but HP stuff might. Clear this with them before publishing. smile

3. rb77 profile image69
    rb77posted 13 years ago

You lose link juice with Google after the 3rd link to the same url. My understanding with HP is more than two links to the same url is flagged as OP.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Source please?

1. sunforged profile image72
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

seomoz agrees - after 2 links to a domain any subsequent links are supposedly of little seo value

not that i have tested this - but it seems to be an accepted theory

doesnt mean the prior links are of less value just that the additional links dont give extra value

*shrugs*

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, linking more than once to the same url does not make any sense to me whatsoever SEO-wise, but re-read the post - rb77 talks about losing link juice from the page links originate from - as I understood them... smile

4. Shadesbreath profile image77

So, if my links looked like this (these are fake links, so don't bother lol):

www.dogbarf.com/index/blabblah123

and

www.dogbarf.com/index/abcdefg

and

www.dogbarf.com/FAQ/etc,blah

Is the "dogbarf.com" killing me? Or do the "/index" pages or an "/FAQ" page become a "different" URL?

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

dogbarf.com, in the eyes of hubpages. By their rules you can't have more than two links to the same domain in the same hub. There are exceptions though, but only staff can give you an authoritative answer if your particular domain is an exception or can be considered as such. smile

6. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

sure..I guess you could say that the first 2 links have 100% link juice - anything later has 0% - that could be translated as "losing link juice"

but if it was intended as meaning ------ adding a third link makes the original 2 links be worth less than 100% (say "draining link juice') then I would have to disagree

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

LOL I guess we have to wait for a clarification from RB smile

1. sunforged profile image72
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

eh, it looks like we agree smile

8. Csjun89 profile image59
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

Perhaps the best way is to wait for Hubpage people to come take a look and give an authoritative answer!

9. rb77 profile image69
    rb77posted 13 years ago

Lets see, one source I refer to for link juice discussions is the KWA http://thekeywordacademy.com/link-juice-explained/

I can say, from experience, that in my earlier days of article writing I did put the same url in the resource box. I did observe, on some of these early mistakes, that only one backlink was captured.

For the question at hand, "If I have like three or four (or more) links that are going to different portions of a page, does the Google spiders or whatever happens to hub ranks on Google see that as me being "overly promotional". The question is, how are you going to point to different parts of the same url? Anyway, as far a HP I have linked out to a main page and two different inner pages on the same site and had an immediate warning before I even published the hub.

I'm not sure if HP adds a No-Follow attribute to outbound links. But, your linking out to a trusted edu site so Google should not have a problem with that. If your concerned about this hub ranking in the serps then we care what Google thinks.

Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, my thought was...  on this one .gov site, for example, there's a really long FAQ section.  I wanted to pull a few of the answers in.  So, I was going to do in-text links to the URLs for each question because they have them set up like that, with url's that travel directly to that spot on the page.

But, that will be three links all on one domain AND on one page.

So, yeah, that was the plan.  I'll just do something different tho.  I can see it's probably not a good idea.

10. rb77 profile image69
    rb77posted 13 years ago

Just a thought, you might want to make two hubs(part 1& part 2)if you think the links are important enough to warrant that and the reader would benefit too.

11. Shadesbreath profile image77

Well, I figured a way around it, so, I made it work.

BUT, my next question is:

If I have an RSS that comes from a link in my hub, do the articles that they post count as "links" from the same domain?  Or is RSS somehow different evne tho that's where the feeds take me?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)