Walmart is run by Money Grubbing SCUM!

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (60 posts)
  1. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

This is appealing. Walmart KNEW the jewelry they were selling is TOXIC.  And it's target audience KIDS!  Selling toxic jewlry to kids. And trying to make a profit when they know full well it's dangerous to kids. Refusing to pull the product AFTER they knew the dangers.

That's a company run by money grubbing scum!

If not for the AP Exposing Walmart they would still be doing it!

I guess it's okay with Walmart Management to poison children.  Nice!

--------------------- STORY ------------------------------

LOS ANGELES – Wal-Mart said Wednesday it is pulling an entire line of Miley Cyrus-brand necklaces and bracelets from its shelves after tests performed for The Associated Press found the jewelry contained high levels of the toxic metal cadmium.

In a statement issued three hours after AP's initial report of its findings, Wal-Mart said it would remove the jewelry, made exclusively for the world's largest retailer, while it investigates. The company issued the statement along with Cyrus and Max Azria, the designer who developed the jewelry for the 17-year-old "Hannah Montana" star.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. had learned of cadmium in the Miley Cyrus jewelry, as well as in an unrelated line of bracelet charms, back in February, based on an earlier round of testing conducted at AP's request, but had continued selling the items. It said as recently as last month that it would be too difficult to test products already on its shelves.

1. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can't expect much more from a bottom line capitalist company.

Don't get me wrong, I support capitalism but with some modicum of responsibility.

Just as many huge companies have done they weigh the lawsuits against the profit and choose the lesser of the two costs to them. 

This is one case that the litigious tendency of our society is a good thing if you get a hungry lawyer.  Maybe if it costs more than they have factored in, they will think twice about doing it again.

This may not be just an American phenomena as Toyota is having more allegations from years back popping up to bite them in the a@#.

2. profile image0
      Car Donationsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I can't say this surprises me. I must admit I do shop there. They do have some good deals. But you have to watch out for some stuff. The cheap stuff is no good. You get what you pay for 90% of the time. If it is too good to be true, it probably is. Either it was made cheaply or there was some other shortcut made to cut costs. Here is a good example of a shortcut.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

This is terrible!

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

This is terrible!

4. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

Are we surprised?

What of the toxic chemicals they know workers in Asia are being exposed to?

What is happening to them?

What of the at least 40% undocumented labor force that works in largely Walmart distribution warehouses in places like the Inland Empire in California?

I can go on from there...

When you business model is built on, and sustained only by, constant expansion/growth, there are huge costs to reap if you ever have to slow down or pay the true price of production....that requires real pay and benefits..and health standards.

Walmart is, in my mind, a criminal organization, and needs to be severely regulated.

Good post Mike.

5. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I guess the next question to ask is....Who else is doing it too?  I mean, with all the newly assortment of diseases, apparently many in society are now suffering from.....what's really going on?

How many businesses are endangering people? Including misdiagnosis from doctors about diseases?

It's ridiculous the garbage business gets away with, and does so with just a slap on the hand, or a piddly fine. It's sad. hmm

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

cags, just start googling, you will be amazed at what you find.
      food industry, toys, cheap garments all made with toxic chemicals and there is very little regulation.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is regulations on everything that comes into the F**king country, and our taxes pay these F**king people to do their damn job correctly.

I cannot help that they are spineless, lack integrity and have no real work ethic(no doing a good job). I do not need to google what other companies are doing it, the question was rhetorical.

The point was one is doing it, then there is more than that one doing it, because when one sees that another is getting away with it, then they emulate the same position, so responsibility cannot be labeled to specifically one source and the Government is too stupid/idiotic to stop them.

I'm currently writing a hub about "American" made products and what happened to all of those products??? I mean, most people know, the products are now coming from outside the country.

But, NOT everything is, but most does. It's F**king ridiculous and people wonder why the pricing structures on the products/goods or services are out of whack. Again, It's sad. hmm

1. profile image0
          china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The economic situation is at the root of it - the US model requires domination of the markets to work and maintain the extra profit margins. When that domination stops so does the profit - you live in a hierarchical capitalist society which means that the guy at the bottom pays.

And, if you had a clue about what you are talking about then there would be something worth discussing with you. However, your outside perspective is just like that of others, meaningless.

6. mikelong profile image61

Walmart is the biggest of the big...the policies they enact, from tracking technologies for products to safety in the workplace and on the storeshelf, will be the model that others will follow.

And they profit the most.

7. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

This is only one of many issues with WalMart.

(I think you meant appalling, not appealing...)

One more reason to stop importing garbage. You get what you pay for, I believe is the correct phrase.

8. pylos26 profile image70
    pylos26posted 13 years ago

I suppose its breezy to chat about such things and complain about the danger to the children…but at the same time I recently saw on the news a new container ship being launched by the Chinese government that seem like it might not be able to turn around in the Caribbean Sea, because of its vastness…the sole reason for its existence is to haul more and more Chinese rubbish to Wal-Mart.

Try to find any kind of seafood at Wal-mart that is not a “product of China”. It looks nice and tasty, but remember, the Chinese have a tradition of feeding and growing their food products with food (fertilizer) they have previously eaten.

9. leeberttea profile image56
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

Where is the FTC on this? What happened to all the government agencies that are supposed to protect us? Time and time again they have failed. Nothing should be allowed into this country from China unless it's inspected 100%, and Chinese imports should be taxed to pay for it all. They've poisoned our toys, our milk, and our pet food, and we keep doing business with them. Could someone explain to me why?

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

it's all about money....Walmart contributes to the US GDP....can't remember the % - so there is a lot of money tied up and expected and projected for within that economy.  And those Chinese ties - gosh...just takes away from products made in North America....and some of the smaller businesses haven't survived because of the competition (their purchasing power).

I won't even step into a Walmart - people don't understand that yes they have some 'sales' but that is just a marketing technique to make you think everything is cheaper but it's not.  So people go there in droves and buy crap from China and expect all of their purchases are a deal - some of the purchases are - but WallyMart (as I call it) is big biz and they are making lots of money.

Yea - wouldn't eat any seafood from Asia either because of the way its raised.

I feel the same way about Cosco too.  You have to be a member to buy 'stuff' you don't really need.  I don't believe in having to be a member of anything in order to make a purchase from a vendor.  Another marketing technique as far as I'm concerned - don't feel I need to part of the 'club'.

my 2 cents this a.m.

The funny thing about Walmart and the other big box stores is the cost it is to our economy.

In their zeal to drive down costs the underlying result is the driving of smaller business' out of business.  The quest for cheaper products has resulted in foreign manufacturers taking more jobs from American manufacturing jobs and retail sales growth is squashed in the whole process.

Many say the American worker is moving towards more high tech jobs and service oriented industries.  This move is not as fast as one would expect.  Retraining the older worker is slow at best and waiting for them to die off so the more educated college graduate can fill in the jobs created by this move away from manufacturing.

All of this compputes towards a race to the bottom and how little the worker can be paid while the corporate levels are gaining profits at alarming rates.

We are doing it to ourselves and it is like the experiment with the rat who chooses cocaine over food,  The rat chooses the drug because it is quicker and feels good.

11. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Nice to see the normal blabbering about all things bad coming from China.

Almost everything the world uses comes out of China, good and bad - it is up to the importing company to specify what it wants, and then that is what is sent. You should take up your economically moronic issues with Wal-Mart, an American company the last I heard.

This is similar to the nonsense of the west giving up all the dirty industries by exporting them to developing countries and then complaining about 'their' pollution.

Of course the things that are made should be subject to checks on what is in them - here in China it is done rigorously all the time.

There is an old saying "If you really want to piss somebody off,  give them what they want".  This is because people don't think too far ahead and the consequences of their desires.

I would not blame China for the products they provide to American manufacturers as they are merely providing the product as specified.  Samples almost always are being approved before production and the American company does little inspection of that product is where much of it goes wrong.

I am in opposition of the way Walmart and others of their kind run to China to undercut American labor and the way the government allows the process to erode the Americans opportunity to provide for themselves with a decent wage to support themselves.  This may not be good news for China but the lowering of our standard of living is happening at an alarming rate.

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

China is as much an opportunist as America. If it weren't it wouldn't be interested in doing business with companies like Walmart.

China is not bad. Corrupt companies and corrupt people in China are the problem, which is the very same as in America. They are the same mentality and opportunist looking to grow rich as any company like Goldman Sachs or Walmart. All the same mentality. So even though politics might be different, people think similarly throughout the world.

So no one is really picking on China, because it's a problem that exists throughout the world. Until we get the idea that polluting *anywhere*, making people sick to cut costs for *any* reason, these problems will continue not just in America or China, but everywhere.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

don't mean to insult you China Man.  The point is - Walmart having too much power within the US economy and purchasing most products from outside of NA - whether it is China or some other country - the only reason for whoever it purchases from is because of 'cheaply' made products - cheap in price and in some instances quality.  And Walmart's current ties with China are taking away jobs here, heavily competing with NA busineses etc - that's the primary issue. 

And...I still wouldn't buy seafood from another country - when we have plenty in NA.  And...I understand imported seafood from Asia is not up to the standards we have here.  If you have info that is contrary, I'm listening.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62

Well, plenty here used to be...
        With the Gulf disaster we might not have the same plentifulness as before...

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

i get that...i think that we have to slow down and if certain food items are not available in the same quantities then we must be considerate of that and go without and if we must have it - pay a premium for it - locally.     we will survive without eating shrimp or salmon for example...and allow fish stocks to naturally revive over time.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62

Yup. And I agree.

1. Greek One profile image63
              Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

can I have you share of the shrimp then?

yes u can GreekOne, but it'll cost you!

how much for your fishy goods??

u can have my share at no charge......but i want you to start a thread about how TO is not the centre of the universe and why.....can u handle that request

2. Daniel Carter profile image62

Yes. For a limited time only.

In no time I intend on being my selfish sort again.
                wink

2. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"don't mean to insult you China Man"

China Man is not a Chinese man, so I don't think you need to worry about insulting him.

3. profile image0

No offense taken, I am not insulted through discussion, and anyone who likes to read my profile can see that I am English guy living in China.

I do not know about the seafood except that Chinese eat loads of it themselves - it is probably the most popular restaurant food dish.

The jobs issue is complex. If you can't compete that is an issue with your country's economic model, financial institutions and government spending. From what I see the 'on top' profit is obscenely high, the banks are stealing you blind and the actions of your previous governments in world wide trouble-making have cost you - financially - in defending against the inevitable backlash. The so called free-trade regulations that cause suffering and misery in most of the developed world are back-firing on you; put in place through your dominance of world markets, to ensure you keep that position, they are now causing you to stagnate and they have also prevented the normal uprising of small business ventures that are new life to economies.

4. Sab Oh profile image55

"Of course the things that are made should be subject to checks on what is in them - here in China it is done rigorously all the time."

It is obviously NOT done rigorously - or at all - all the time there in China.

it IS done rigorously!

here is a toy tester examining a new product to see if it is safe...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2071/2092410579_1e81f3e0b1.jpg

1. Sab Oh profile image55

That is a demonstration of the ancient art of xiuxi!

2. profile image0

Well obviously it is - because I see it and there are many reports in the paper of companies being shut down. Just recently the contamination in Chinese milk came to light through testing which may not have been rigorous or soon enough, but the sentence for the people responsible was rigorous enough when they shot them!  Maybe that is what you should do with the Wal mart bosses.

Obviously it is NOT, that's why poison got into the milk in the first place, not to mention toxic chemicals that have been found in a whole host of products and foods exported to Japan, the US, Korea, and the rest of the world.

Are you staring at the Queen of Diamonds ALL the time or what?

12. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

There is a huge backlash against Walmart these days. But most of it comes from middle class Americans. Most won't enter the store for obvious documented reasons. However, there is a huge number of people who really don't think about the toxic items they sell, and the horrible things Walmart does to people and employees simply because it hasn't happened to them--yet.

I think in time, this backlash will tsunami against Walmart. Unless they are willing to bring more consideration to humane treatment of employees, and respect people's rights and health and well-being, it's only a matter of time before a lot of very sickened people file suit against it, bringing it down.

As for China's very poor reputation about safety and quality, they are in bed with Walmart and other companies around the world. It's a matter of time.

You can't keep making your consumers sick, you can't keep raping the customers and employees continually and expect your business to survive. You kill off your customers, and you have no one as a consumer.

This is pretty much what government and the banking system have done to America. Raped and pillaged us, kicked us to the curb while they live off our spoils, and soon then will have no consumers, no customer base, and they will fall. And the fall will be terrible.

That is very much what the Tea Party in America is all about.

13. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

All that being true, they do have a great sale on jeans going on right now..

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XANfY5AvqYQ/STh5cH6-8jI/AAAAAAAAAw8/niHylUHTo8Q/s400/PZI+Classic+Jeans.jpg

14. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

those cute Disney clothes... with plastic (PVC) vinyl prints on the front contain toxic chemicals, the cute pajamas your kids want to sleep in contain dangerous chemicals. read labels. they know it contains toxic chemicals. but there is so little regulation they can get away with it.

15. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

80% of US seafood is imported and that beautiful looking salmon in your favorite grocery store most likely came from a salmon farm in the north atlantic. ask where it comes from when you buy it. the percentage is alarmingly low at how much of this is inspected by FDA at border inspections.

I would also challenge the descriptive, of 'vigorously' testing, that's been proven not to be true.

1. profile image0

Things around the world are supplied to a specification, this will contain those elements that cannot be included - no supplier will include a banned or even an 'iffy' substance because of the risk that it will be rejected after shipping. If the Walmart stuff was toxic then they did not specify properly.

Seafood here is huge busines, almost beyond imagination - most big fish farms etc have complex auto-feeders and appear to be well managed, and in response to the poster somewhere above, no they do not dump in the water as fish food.  Family ponds in the villages are a different matter, but then they eat their own fish.

Foodstuffs are the most rigorously tested products - I was briefly involved with someone who wanted to export the Chinese noodle fast food thingy's (like giant meal size pot noodles but better) - the specification requirements and the factory inspection regime made it almost impossible to get an import licence from anywhere, including the US.

Chinese farmed seafood has been found to contain all manner of heavy metals, fertilizers, and toxic chemicals. A few years back several Japanese people died after eating eel imported from China. Soon after the same happened with Chinese-made frozen dumplings. No matter how much of a brainwashed apologist you are, there is no denying the long record of contaminated food, toxic toys, and other hazards that have come out of China in recent years. I'm sure they will improve over time (of necessity) but making excuses will not help.

It's no different than the ecoli or salmonella found in American foods that our own inspectors find after people die or get sick.  What about the hormones and antibiotics found in our own beef and chicken farms?  Have you forgotten about the fertilizers that are used on crops in the Chesapeake Bay that have been killing the grasses that support the blue crab.

Remember Sab Oh when you point a finger at somebody there are three more pointing back at you.

Walmart is the problem and the people who support it are shortsighted about it when you think about jobs in America to get back on point.

lefty relativism solves nothing and creates more problems just to serve a transparent and superficial political bias

lollollollol

16. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

well...i offered my share...it still stands; when u weaken and post the TRUTH, it's yours....i'll put it in the freezer just in case you get hungry later.

you so need a central ontario spanking, lady!

oooohhhhh..........i'm hopping on the next plane  'outtahere'!  nooooo.....get yourself together.....really have to go now...enjoyed the laugh as always, but I will keep the seafood on ice just in case...surprise me????

17. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

WalMart is bad. Goldman Sachs is worse!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/19/busin … t.html?dbk

1. profile image0

Hi Ralph - how are you keeping ?

2. Cagsil profile image69

Do you or Do you not know HOW TO STAY ON TOPIC?

Almost every time you post, you like to distract people with other topics. That does not help the conversation, but hinders it.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Read the article. You might learn something useful. But I doubt it. My comment agreed with the topic that a major American corporation, WalMart is bad, but that Goldman Sachs our premier investment bank is worse. Perhaps you should apply to Hubpages for a job as a moderator. You and Sab Oh are quite a pair.

I do not need to read the article. hmm DUH!

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
            Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You've made it abundantly clear that facts bore you.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
              rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

facts do help. but some here feel they have nothing to learn. it's tiresome.

placing blame and getting angry doesn't solve problems. having facts and getting involved does.

18. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

So the answer is, stop buying imported goods.
    It's a shame a person has to look so hard to find American made products. I'm not saying there aren't enough of them (although that is true), but why aren't they labelled more clearly?

I did a hub last Christmas about fake Christmas trees. The majority of the imported ones are toxic - they sprinkle lead dust right down on top of the toys underneath. Merry poisonous Christmas.

American made trees do not have lead in them. My point was to show folks where they could be found.
    It was unbelievably difficult to track down sellers of these trees. I had to scour!
    What's up with that!

19. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

Mike I dont think I have seen you so angry about any thing before -  you make a great point - however - its not the first time big business has made such criminal decisions smile

20. mikelong profile image61

At least we know Walmart takes care of its older employees....right? 

That's good for some politicians who will be out of a job this fall....

http://iwanticewater.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/mccain-walmart-greeter-1-1.jpg

If he can remember where his houses are he may be able to get on at a Walmart close to home.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)