What do you think about this setup

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

AMD Quad 1.8Ghz, (phenom x4 9100e)
    6GB DDR2 800Mhz
    500GB HDD

ECS Black edition motherboard (brand new been installed for a week)(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications … CatId=2838)

Windows 7 X64

Big tempest NZXT case (with 4 good 120mm fans)

650 Watt PSU (kingwin modular)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3544/3769348901_2a9b3001a4_o.jpg

So last couple of days been trying to rustle up a decent replacement PC from my local classifieds - seems like im going with this set up - after some custom work and delivery I requested, under $300 for the box.

Would you do it?

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 13 years agoin reply to this

This configuration seems a bit disproportional in CPU vs. Memory...I think the memory utilization will out page the CPU causing some performance degradation...If the board supports dual CPU you may want to consider adding another

2. sunforged profile image71

cmon -no gaming types or hardware geeks out there?

i want a seal of approval - as an ebay seller i would  scoop it up just for resale value, but what do yall think about performance potential

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The choke would seem to be CPU speed. Or did I misunderstand the CPU speed as being only 1.8?
      6 gig of DDR2 ram is enough for most jobs, win7X 64 is all good and 500 gig will hold for a long time.

3. sunforged profile image71

Im not sure myself - although, I will actually probably replace the 500 for a 1tb - they are only $75 bucks on sale right now.. I have 700 something gigs now of various hdd's - when you got lots of room you end up using it.

but its quad core? doesnt that make a difference?

my 6 year old p4 is a 2.66 ? im curious about that myself

I would spend the extra for the big HDD. That seems like a bargain.
      Not sure on the quad core either.
      If that means 1.8 X4 it would be very very fast! smile

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oooohhh...I LOVE the big HDD!

4. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I love it when you guys talk techie. smile

Dirty talk in code! lol

5. sunforged profile image71

from what IO understand it not as great as 4 x better - it just can run multiple threads - some applications have the ability to take advantage of this natively and newer OS use the extra threads to help handle normal operations which clears up more power for your applications.

Apparently this particular AMD is highly overclockable - but that is outside my skillset ( I COULD learn) ~3 ghz

It is easy enough to overclock, but I reckon they get too hot when pushed too far like this. Handling multiple threads will take a lot of load off, so maybe it will run fast. Do they offer a faster native clock speed CPU?
      More info here.
      http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd … ,1935.html
      It seems to top out at 2.3.

6. Ign Andy profile image58
    Ign Andyposted 13 years ago

My 2 cents:
    Minus:
    for gaming: no GPU. on board GPU usually only allow low setting.
    I agree with Earnest for higher HDD, should 1 TB at least.
    I think the processor more be enough even for high demanding task/games thoug Quad Core means nothing if you don't do simultaneous job.

All and all good build for casual games and daily use.

7. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

This is great!
    I like to stream video from the Web to a 65 inch plasma TV but I get slight Digital pixelation with an Nvidia 9200 graphics card.I'm shopping for an upgrade.
    Can anyone tell me what specks to look for to get the best video quality in the replacement card?Any other advice would be much appreciated as I'm a bit of a computer dummy!

8. anujagarwal profile image57
    anujagarwalposted 13 years ago

For gaming and better graphics, you definitely need a good graphics card. You can go for some nVidia Quadro or ATI HD series card. Make sure it includes at least 256MB internal memory, the more the better. Power supply of 650 Watts will support most high-end graphics cards.

9. sunforged profile image71

Will be taking advice on GC soon -

Did end up purchasing - $250 w/ all mentioned plus new lightscribe/dvdrw and delivery to my door.

[img[http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n4vM_gQ4C4c/S_k3q9RdR-I/AAAAAAAAK3I/UsCIiuoKFb0/s320/DSC09209.JPG[/img]

Win7 doesnt recognize my old PS2 keyboard that I love - drivers are not win7 so I figured out how to install and configurre Synergy - and Im happy!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n4vM_gQ4C4c/S_k3q9RdR-I/AAAAAAAAK3I/UsCIiuoKFb0/s320/DSC09209.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_n4vM_gQ4C4c/S_k3rDUnXXI/AAAAAAAAK3Q/kdD1Lx3-XTs/s320/DSC09202.JPG

Still got a lot of detail work to do..but its the best workspace Ive ever had at home.

1. livewithrichard profile image70
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Looks good.  I had a case similar to that one and got tired of the light which caused more heat and constant fan use. I ended up going back to a solid case.

10. SiddSingh profile image60
    SiddSinghposted 13 years ago

Your workplace looks great - in a sort of geeky way!

What's with the light ropes - is that the only ambient light you use?

11. sunforged profile image71

well the leds are in the fans , so I guess I will have to deal!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)