jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you think about desalination?

1. watergeek profile image97
    watergeekposted 5 years ago

What do you think about desalination?

Does making fresh water out of seawater have a chance to succeed? I've heard there are several problems with it like energy wastage, destruction of sea life, and the high cost of replacement filters. What do you think?

2. novascotiamiss profile image88
    novascotiamissposted 5 years ago

Desalination is definitely a life saver for sailors and people living on remote islands. However, I don't think this is the future for the common public. The running costs are very expensive and the long-term use of desalinated water may have adverse health effects as you are basically drinking a "dead" liquid without any goodness in it. Many of us are wasting good water on a daily basis by just letting their water taps run. This affects our water tables in the long-term. We should look after our water as it cannot effectively be replace by desalinated water.

3. CWanamaker profile image98
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

In concept desalination is a great idea however the technology hasn't proven itself as viable yet for a number of reasons.  I believe that we should focus finding more efficient ways to reuse our waste water instead. Moreover, atmospheric water generators have a much more promising future than does desalination.  Someday every home will have one.

4. watergeek profile image97
    watergeekposted 5 years ago

I agree with both of you. There are a couple of water suppliers in Southern California contracting with a company called Poseiden to install desalination plants. The others are watching to see if it works. Apparently Australia is using them, and so is the Middle East. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

working