I just screwed up...

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Em Writes profile image70
    Em Writesposted 15 years ago

... and mis-clicked right onto an Adsense ad on one of my own hubs. Are bad things going to happen? Will the sky fall? Will big guys in sunglasses show up at my house with ball bats? Worse, will they banish me to the land of the adless and take away my hard-earned $13.20?

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No accidents happen , don't worry you will not be banished smile

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think they only break one thumb for mistakes such as that. It isn't like you need both of them anyway. tongue

Em Writesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Crap, you mean I'm going to need to learn to twiddle just one thumb?

Thanks for the reassurances. big_smile

1. profile image0
          SirDentposted 15 years agoin reply to this

'fraid so. lol

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

what?? and heres me waiting for a big fat check after 3 hubs..lol..( writers sure need a good sense of humor huh)....lol..)
      seriously Im afraid to think of what Ive clicked and who I linked what too, I just hope they bring me back a cheeseburger...this baby food from the $1 store aint cuttin the mustard........lol
      all the best to ya ,im off to read your hubs....

Ahhh... a true starving artist! wink

4. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This is a true dilemma-- 
      I know you are not supposed to click on your own ads-- BUT if you write about something you are interested in, ads tend to show up that are within your realm of interest.  I've been tempted to click on some of mine, but know I shouldn't.
      Fighting temptation is easier when you remember the guys in sunglasses... at night.

I've caught myself a couple of times getting interested in an ad and nearly clicking... this particular flub, however, was a straight misfire. I had a smaller window open and was aiming to copy and paste something, but clicked right off the edge of it onto an ad in the window behind it. Perhaps more hubbing and less Shiraz would be a good idea. smile

5. BDazzler profile image78
      BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You made $13.20???  I'm jealous!!!  I do admit, though, that sometimes I click through on a lot of my favorite hubbers adsense ads, even if I'm not interested in the ads.  Well ... not a lot ... but some of them.

Yeah, I had a particularly active day somewhere around week 3 where I earned a whopping $7 and change. The rest has come in a verrrrry slow trickle. Glad it wasn't my primary reason for getting into all of this!

Oopsie! Careful with this! I've read (granted, I don't know if it's true), that Adsense has sent the big guys after account owners for this. Very generous of you, though! smile

1. ajcor profile image59
          ajcorposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Seriously $7 is very good for 1 day - is it not? more shiraz is needed I think.

1. BDazzler profile image78
            BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It really depends. It is better than $0 and not as good as $10, you know what I mean?  Honestly it's very good for an article site. I just had some good Shiraz last night.  shiraz is one of the wines that if it's good,  I like it a lot, and if it's not I cant stand it.  It was Fat B*st*rd - yeah, that really was the name of it.  I think 2005. Anyway. It was good.

6. compu-smart profile image90
      compu-smartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

cool

If in doubt and are worried, i would email Google and tell them the time and place the accidental click occurred to be on the safe side!

smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

I'm Not sure -- I think Shiraz promotes hubbing.

Shiraz promotes many things... most of them fun, hubbing included. big_smile

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91

Feel free to click mine. I think I had over $11. last time I checked.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image91

Seriously, Em-- that's a good point.  (Please click mine discretely.)

5. profile image0
    SarahPalinposted 15 years ago

Don't you worry about a little old click. One click does not make you a criminal. I read the terms of use. It takes more than one click to send you to prison.

6. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

Im sorry but I wouldnt believe anything Sarah Palin says - keep a lookout for those men in dark sunglasses

1. agvulpes profile image85
      agvulpesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

btw who is that holding Sarah Palin? cool

1. ajcor profile image59
        ajcorposted 15 years agoin reply to this

good one lol

2. Em Writes profile image70

Oh, I will... I always thought there was something very fishy about her. big_smile

I thought about that, but it doesn't appear that the click actually registered, so I think I'm safe. Or, at least, I hope I am. smile

7. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

If it didnt register than it was prob in the 40% served for Hub, so you didnt break any rules and helped out your sponsor.

(not that im stickler for rules) I think they may red flag a sudden change in traffic like 50 clicks in one hour from a source that averages 2 a day, and then notice a IP connection - even google isnt powerful enough to notice and discern the issue of a single click. I hope.

I thought this was a tongue in cheek post - but now I think you were serious?

I was serious in that I did click, but not so serious about being worried. smile

8. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

Even if you dont email them, I would not worry about it! Google is very fair and very smart and knows all wink

9. margaretjd profile image59
    margaretjdposted 15 years ago

In case Google is watching, so I'll concur that they are "very fair". That said, I've accidentally clicked on my ads a couple times, even on my own site, and have experienced no repercussions.

What I'm wondering is, does SarahPalin know people at Google, and does she know how I voted?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)