Is depression an adequate excuse for going on a killing spree?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (31 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

Terrible news from Whitehaven in the UK where a taxi driver (Derrick Bird) started a killing spree at 10.30 GMT which has resulted in the death of 12 people and twenty five people injured.  As always people are searching for reasons to explain this awful tragedy.  Of course at this stage no one knows the reason, and unless the man left a note, email, letter etc - no one ever will, they can only speculate.  One of the possible explanations already being mentioned is that he was alledgedly very depressed about an issue with the tax office, and was worried about being prosecuted. I guess this would have been worrying and possibly frightening, but does that ever justify taking such terrible action against people you don't know.  The ramifications of these actions is so awful and personal I just struggle with the idea, that someone is depressed and that somehow makes it understandable.  Not to me it doesn't.  However, strong the feelings I can never see a justification for killing people and depriving friends and families of someone they loved  Perhaps I just don't understand human nature, but in my view depression is not an excuse. This is a terrible day for the friends and families of the people who were murdered and all the professionals and members of the public who helped the victims.  I also think of Derrick Bird's family.  This is a tragedy for them too.

1. Ben Evans profile image63
      Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like this person is more angry than depressed.  None the less no matter what the state he was in it is not excuse.  Because a person that is in a crazed mental state must have so much disregard for other peoples lives to take them.

I think it is heinous and I really hate it when these awful people are painted as victims.

2. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

no its not, however if you plead insanity you'll likely get a  lighter sentence!

3. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

H@ll No!!  But it is an adequate excuse for getting help. smile

4. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

There is no adequate excuse for what he has done..

5. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

He is dead...

And if you all had the right to bear arms, I don't believe as many innocent people would be dead now.

I watched a thing on current tv about vigilantes in england... you guys are out of control with crime and your govt don't care...

And I hear more brits complain about America and guns.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Such things happen a lot more rarely in the UK than in the US.

2. Mrvoodoo profile image59
      Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A-huh, I'm sure things would be much better if we gave all our nutters access to firearms.

3. Polly C profile image89
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a real tragedy, obviously carried out by someone who was not of sound mind. And of course depression is no excuse.

England, however, is not a vigilante country - there are small pockets with growing problems such as gun crime in parts of South London for example - but not in Cumbria, as far as I know.

I would not want to own a gun, and as Mrvoodoo says, allowing guns to be legal just means that more people of unstable mind will be able to carry out such awful crimes.

4. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What are you talking about? Britain has a low crime rate, the only crime that has actually boomed in recent years is Bicycle theft.

5. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

FYI Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels was not a documentary.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image59

LOL, Classic.

6. liber profile image58
      liberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For the most part vigilantes fight invisible crimes they've made up in their own minds about the new world order or the coming apocalypse.

6. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I didn't know there was 12 confirmed dead till you posted this. At the time it said on the news there was up to 10 dead, then later they said 5, now 12?
    They said earlier they thought his own mother was among the victims, and of course he turned the gun on himself at the end too.
    The whole thing is tragic!
    First person he killed was a fellow taxi driver who he had been a friend but they had fallen out the day before apparently.

7. jondav profile image69
    jondavposted 13 years ago

I don't think there can be any possible justification for this.

8. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

Or perhaps better access to mental health care.  (I think the people of Cumbria might beg to differ with you Mrvoodoo.)

Today they might, because wounds are fresh. 

But tomorrow they won't.

As UW said these things are rare here.  And that's not because we have less people who'd like to shoot somebody else when angry.  But because the average person wouldn't have any idea where to get a gun from even if they wanted one.  So we get drunk and hit each other instead.

9. ceciliabeltran profile image65
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

it's not an excuse but he's not in his right mind...thats for sure. so its twice the tragedy.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I know it's certainly nothing to laugh about but I heard about this from a cab driver today...that made me feel comfortable...

11. mrpopo profile image72
    mrpopoposted 13 years ago

I don't think excuse is the proper word here. It makes it sound like the guy had a choice.

There's obviously a reason why this happened. Probably depression, stress and a combination of all those things. He couldn't overcome it and tried to deal with it in a very poor way, but I don't think you can blame him for experiencing these evils and not dealing with them properly.

His mistake was severe - but we all make them, for many reasons that are often beyond our control.

12. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Ah, but can a killing spree cause you depression?  That's the tricky part i say.

13. liber profile image58
    liberposted 13 years ago

That's tragic.

I don't think it's an excuse, but we can have a bit more empathy for him.  It's like serial killers, something like 80% of them are abused as children, it doesn't make what they've done okay, but it gives a sense of "can I really say I wouldn't have done the same in their situation?"  Which makes them a bit less monstrous.

I don't think a persons situation or past gives an excuse for current immoral behavior.  They still have a choice it's just a bit more difficult than the rest of us.

1. mrpopo profile image72
      mrpopoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do any of us even have a choice in our actions?

wink

1. profile image0
        Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes I think 9 time out of 10 we do.  Even when we feel compelled to do something by someone else, we still make a choice.

14. brianzen profile image59
    brianzenposted 13 years ago

Guns aren't the problem, People need ways to re-direct hostility and blame correctly. No one causes anyone else to do anything, so the excuse is irrelevant. Everyone in the tragedy needed something that sadly was not available. And if the victims here aren't the living who must now cope with it... then feelings aren't an issue and the meaning of sadness is lost.

No, in this case guns WERE the problem.  Because this man used them to kill twelve people whilst driving around in a moving vehicle. 

If he hadn't of had guns these people would most likely not be dead.

1. brianzen profile image59
        brianzenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He might have had more difficulty, but he could have used his car, or a homemade bomb, or even maybe a jet. Weapons are just a means to the end.

I guess that's true.  But it would seem that making things more difficult for him in this instance would have been a good thing.

15. brianzen profile image59
    brianzenposted 13 years ago

That is why we have straight jackets, stun guns, antipsychotics, etc. He probably slipped by a lot of peoples notice on his way to this horror.

1. profile image0
      Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you're absolutely right.  All sorts of stories are beginning to come out, some of which are being reported as having been verified.  They seem to show that he had times when he ovbiously reacted quite badly to other people's teasing or bullying.  The problem is he did what we all do which is behave differently with different people and then no one joins up all the dots.  I feel for all the families of the people who died, but even more so for his sons and mother.  What a horrible legacy to try and lie with

16. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

just got back from a meeting tonite and the first thing spoken about was this killing spree.  I don't know much about guns, but if several people died and many others injured - what kind of gun would that be - not a handgun? - figured a handgun would allow for I don't know, up to 10 bullets?  just curious - thinking about how he would be able to disguise or hide a large weapon to kill/hurt so many people or maybe it just takes small weapons now?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)