Is Amazon really worth the trouble?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (39 posts)
  1. lovelypaper profile image59
    lovelypaperposted 13 years ago

I've been advertising Amazon since I started and just made $1.60. Is anyone really having much luck with this? I'm wondering if I should kill Amazon all together to make more room for Google Ads. What do you think?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have to write product specific articles. Just adding a capsule on the off chance will not do anything.

2. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just for the record it is fairly easy to make room for google without cutting back on Amazon adverts.

What kind of traffic are you seeing? Is it enough to be xpecting click throughs and conversions?

3. waynet profile image67
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For something to work you have to stick with it for awhile and persist or else what's the point in trying in the first place.

Amazon brings me over $500 a month, some months during the obvious seasonal times bring in more, my highest month being $965, although not all from hubpages, it still is worth doing, because you never know when someone is going to order a big ticket item, so the more webpages you have with the opportunity to show relevant offers, the better you will do!

The first year and a half with Amazon I didn't earn anything, but then I started to schedule and plan tasks that would form a goal end result and this has been useful thus far.

1. Joy56 profile image67
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well done you, so your persistent paid off, wow

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I receive very nice payments every month from Amazon. In fact, I make much more from them than I do from Google.

I have hubs geared towards Google and others geared towards Amazon because there is a marketing science behind it. Take a look at Nelle Hoxie's hubs--she's the resident Amazon/eBay expert.

1. salt profile image59
      saltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks, Ill look at that one, I am too scared to look at my amazon page incase I see no change in it and am disappointed, maybe I should think of it the other way, that is, that there is no change and be surprised if there is something good.

3. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Lovely, it is worth it to be in Amazon, especially during the holidays. You will find it very worthwhile to stick to it.

4. fresnavee profile image58
    fresnaveeposted 13 years ago

It is, but only if you follow the above posers' (repliers'?) advice. Make hubs about products and make A LOT of them. From what I have seen and read it is very much possible to make money from Amazon Affiliate commissions. The amount you make off each item tends to be low ($less than $3 is what I have read) so don't give up.

5. Eleanor's Words profile image94
    Eleanor's Wordsposted 13 years ago

I have some hubs geared towards Amazon, yet I was wondering if it was worth it because I understand that the majority of people have their computer security set so high that the cookies are disabled. That is even true for my own computer, as if I look at my own hubs I have a little thing at the bottom of the screen that tells me cookies have been disabled...what do people think?

1. kephrira profile image60
      kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think Amazon have a really short cookie life anyway. But you can make money from it. On hubpages I make almost as much from amazon as from google.

1. Eleanor's Words profile image94
        Eleanor's Wordsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, that's reassuring

6. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I'm not a prolific hubber, with only 33 or so hubs. But 12 of them are geared for Amazon sales, and 10 of them make me money every month. My commissions range from $1.00 to $10.00+ on each product. If you select the right compensation structure, the more items you sell in a month, the higher the commission percentage. 

I haven't had an issue from disabling of cookies,and I haven't had to write a million hubs to make a decent amount of money. (Although I really should, now that I think about it.) It really is about doing a bit of research to find out which items you can rank highly with in the search engines, writing the right type of text and selecting the right products.

Oh--and Flightkeeper is SO right about the holidays! smile

7. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I only have a few hubs that are geared towards an amazon sale, but have put amazon ads on all of them anyway.  I never realized that if I don't use a space for Amazon, it would be used for a google ad, or am I once more misunderstanding?

8. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

As everyone else is saying Amazon can be very good when the hubs are product orientated. Since I decided to focus on writing more of them, I've been making a good monthly income from amazon. Don't give up! Just learn more about how to make your amazon hubs better and also get more search engine traffic to them.

9. climberjames profile image57
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

Not had much luck with Amazon, guess I'm not a salesman . . .

10. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I make 5 figure off Amazon every year, a nice chunk of which is off Hubpages.

Earnign with Amazon is a definate possibility, just keep at it.

11. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

I’ve had zero luck with Amazon.

I suspect that previous poster, Mark Knowles, has it exactly right: ”You have to write product specific articles. Just adding a capsule on the off chance will not do anything.”

1. thisisoli profile image70

I don't write product specific very often, I find top ten articles work well, and mention several related products.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, thisisoli. That definitely sounds like it’s worth a shot. I will try it.

12. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

Don't forget affiliate products, some of my top hubs sell more affiliate products than anything.  I get a sweet clickbank check like clock work, loving the affiliate cash, just saying diverse your earnings potential. smile

1. Glenn Raymond profile image60
      Glenn Raymondposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I doubt it, google is not.  Because I live in Colorado I can't even be an Amazon affiliate.

2. climberjames profile image57
      climberjamesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

katiem2 - Hi, how do you manage to shift clickbank products? I gave CB about 2 months and never sold an item trying Twitter, blogging an YouTube. I Tried on HubPages and still no luck for example: http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Best-WordPr … r-Socrates

Thanks, James smile

1. katiem2 profile image60
        katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've written thousands of articles and have my own website, I blog a bit, do hubpages and many other sites all of which has been on the burner for a few years...  I didn't make money until after about six months and many articles.  Also I stick to a limited amount of products and have a different pen name and profile for each product.  smile

1. climberjames profile image57

Ahh perhaps I shouldn't have given up so quickly!

Thanks big_smile

13. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Oh I am bad at numbers - Oli - I just read your post and thought 'if Oli only makes a few thousand a year, this sucks, maybe I need to give up'...... then waited while the penny dropped and my head visualised the extra figure.

haha don't worry Grace, there is always hope!

14. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Wen I started here I tried adding amazon ads to any hub where I could make some logic of it. I had very meager traffic through to amazon (maybe 1 person a week, or less) and gave to focus more on google. When the holiday hit I found I had made my first sale and tried writing for amazon again. I cannot say I have all that many amazon geared hubs (maybe 20 decent ones hmm) and this month so far I have made 10 sales worth about the same in $'s. I can't image many people would experience enough of a loss in google earnings with amazon ads to make dropping the potential for sales with amazon worth it. My two pence from my experience smile

15. lovelypaper profile image59
    lovelypaperposted 13 years ago

Ok, I'm getting alot of encourement to keep going. I'm not really that into making alot of money but it's worth a try.

16. profile image56
    ellinorposted 13 years ago

So far I have posted 30 hubs,and i have not made a sale yet on amazone .But i do keep trying and maybe i will succed!

It's not about the number of hubs you write, it's abotu the traffic you receive.

1. lovelypaper profile image59
        lovelypaperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right, thisisoli. The content and quality is most important.

17. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

this is truly a helpful thread thanks

18. climberjames profile image57
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

Following my moaning yesterday about zero Clickbank earnings I just checked my account for the first time in ages and I made my first $35 sale and it was based on a Hub big_smile Faith restored . .

1. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

hooray for you, where's the picture of you climbing gone........  i will read the hub, i need to learn how you guys earn money.

hehe, research, dedication, patience, and a little luck tongue

1. climberjames profile image57

True mate! Gonna get some CB product research done this weekend big_smile

19. jondav profile image70
    jondavposted 13 years ago

This thread is really good - i was wondering if Amazon was worth it or not.

Thanks to everyone.

20. MM Del Rosario profile image85
    MM Del Rosarioposted 13 years ago

My just received my first AMAZON gift certificate of $34.40 !!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)