LATIN

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (46 posts)
  1. De Greek profile image76
    De Greekposted 13 years ago

Does anyone speak Latin, please?

1. CASE1WORKER profile image62
      CASE1WORKERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i did wo years but have a friend who did a bit more - what with you being greek thought you would ace it

2. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Speak it?

No.  I had 4 years of it and barely remember a thing.

3. KeithTax profile image72
      KeithTaxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is all Greek to me.

Cogito ergo sum

2. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

et tu greek?

3. De Greek profile image76

FOR A JOKE:

I am preparing a Coat of Arms (CoA) for my sons and my nephews, based on a family joke OF Extreme cowardice and crudeness, with occasional tiny bravery and refinement :-))
    So the CoA will show the Empirical Double Headed Eagle of the Bysantine Empire but with modifications:

One eagle head will be that of a mouse and the other head that of a lion (cowardice and bravery).

A shepherd's staff signifying ignorance and crudeness in one paw and a flower signifying culture in the other

I am trying to fit in a chicken for cowardice

I want to find a suitable motto for this CoA in Latin. If anyone can help with a translation from English to Lati, please help in preparing this joke.

If you w3ant you can also contribute to the idea of the motto :-))

1. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the chicken can be front and center facing forward (instead of to the side)

De Greekposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but I cannot find teh proper clip art for this. I agree taht it would have been good, but ... :-))

4. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Of Pugna vel Fuga , Nos sumo ut run amo Abyssus.

Of Fight or Flight, We choose to run like H*ll.

http://www.translation-guide.com/free_o … p;to=Latin

Ohma, this is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Excellent motto in the spirit of the joke!

Many, many thanks!

1. Ohma profile image60
        Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad You approve.

Ohma, ther is a problem though: The translator did not recognise teh words "OF"  and "RUN"

Any solutions, please?

1. katiem2 profile image60
            katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you Google a picture search for that?  bet you could find it that way.

5. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 13 years ago

Dead, vulgar language

6. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Inter Pugna quod Fuga nos ver amo abyssus

Between Fight and flight we sprint like h*ll

7. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

What does "amo" mean in this sense?  or is it supposed to read "veramo"?  Still doesn't quite make sense, because the verb doesn't agree with the pronoun "nos."  See if you can find another site to refine it further.

1. Ohma profile image60

I have looked for a better translator but I do not speak Latin perhaps you could help us out?

8. Aficionada profile image78

I'd like to, but I have a problem.  What's the time frame here?

I promised myself 5 min. to check things on HP before doing some other really important things IRL, and it's already been at least 35.  smile  My Latin skills are pretty rusty, so I'll have to take some time to refresh myself.

Amo means "I love."

I can come back in about an hour and work on this.  If you have time, in the meantime, just search "run," "rush," "sprint," and "hurry" through the translator and bring all of those words back and then I'll see what I can do.  Thanks!

9. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

run, " " vado " " ver " " volito "

run rush sprint hurry

10. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Maybe this one will make sense
    inter pugna quod fuga planto a velox verto

"Between fight and flight make a quick retreat"

Really good of you Ohma. Many thanks :-))

11. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Kewl!  cool  Great job Ohma!! smile

12. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 13 years ago

Veni, Vidi, Fugi?

Shalini, thank you. It is under consideratin as of now :-)

13. Aficionada profile image78

Shalini Kagal's is a great motto, simple and straightforward: I came, I saw, I fled; and it's a parody of Caesar's Veni, Vidi, Vici - I came, I saw, I conquered.

I love Ohma's idea:  "Between fight and flight, make a quick retreat."  The idea and the image are perfect; but it has enough colloquialisms and idiomatic language that it is difficult to translate, especially using a computerized translator.  The closest thing to what Ohma has suggested, that I can come up with, would probably be:

Pugnare vel fugere, velociter terga vertiamus.

= To fight or to flee? - we would swiftly turn and fly.

Maybe even better: 

Fugare vel fugere, velociter terga vertiamus.
    (To put to flight or to flee?...)

I confess, I'm not totally certain of the word order.  I hope others will contribute their knowledge.

Aficionada, many thanks

I shall try to have this verified :-))

14. De Greek profile image76

You guys are being a great help. Thank you all very much.

While searching for a final suitablemotto, the temporary one I have settled for is an abreviation of Ohma' suggestion and it is "leave in haste"- the diplomatic version of

RUN LIKE HELL! :-)))

15. De Greek profile image76

I wish I knew how to put the thing up for you guys to have a laugh, but I don't know how to do it

1. Ohma profile image60

Where is the pic? if it is on the web just give me a site address.

16. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

my mum learned latin at school, she once told me even though it was considered a dead language, it helped her so much, as lots of words are derived from latin words.  It sure helped her with crosswords, apparantly

17. Aficionada profile image78

Great!  Yes, I think it best for you to verify it.  I had a lot of Latin classes, but many decades ago.  I've only used it (i.e. translating - not vocab, which I use every single day) in the past two years to help my son in his Latin classes.

"Leave in haste" should work well to mean "run like hell."  I realized belatedly that the "amo" (I love/like) of an earlier version came from "like." That was why I mentioned the problem with idioms.

[Final note:  I've omitted the macrons, the signs for the long vowels, which might be used in an online translator; but they would most likely not be present on a coat of arms motto.

Shalini, do you know whether I'm right about that?]

18. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=118291112957&id=bd611effff4c51c5289495de8e602d67&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.clker.com%2fcliparts%2f6%2fe%2f4%2fe%2f1245696568353635238bloodsong_Chicken-RoundCartoon.svg.hi.png

this is the only one I found.  Bing.com images - searched for chicken clip art.

19. mysterylady 89 profile image60
    mysterylady 89posted 13 years ago

i am really impressed.  I studied three years of Latin in h.s. and still can recite the beginning of Caesar and the beginning of "The Aeneid" but cannot begin to do what you all are doing!

20. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

http://thm-a03.yimg.com/nimage/fb7c277fd8f354c2
    validus gallo flees amo ignavus befitting

I don't know if this is correct, but . . .

21. De Greek profile image76

Thank you everyone. THE FINAL IS NOT ONLINE. ISHALL PUT IT UP ON HUB TOMORROW FOR YOU TO SEE THE WORK YOU HAVE DONE !!!!! :-))
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

22. De Greek profile image76

OK you lot, I have posted the end result of our communal efforts as hub and you can see the Coat of Arms here: http://hubpages.com/hub/For-those-who-helped-with-Latin

Many thanks again for your help :-))

23. Aficionada profile image78

Latin Update:

Hi, again...  The coat of arms is indeed awesome.  It looks so "real," so authentic, and so fitting for what you have described! It is bound to be a source of great fun and (yes!) even pride for all of your family. smile

You might want to know, though, that the motto does not quite mean what you intend.  "Licentio" means leave in the sense of permission, as in the phrase "I give you leave."  You can see the relation in the English word license.  The kind of leave you mean would be better expressed as depart; that might be a better word to run through a translator.  I haven't found the word "festinatio," so I don't know its exact meaning.

Latin uses word endings to express different forms of a noun or verb, and a computerized translator will not give the correct ending, unless you know how to interpret what it sends back to you.  It may not really matter to you whether the endings or even the actual word are "correct" Latin; but since you had asked for input yesterday, I thought it only fair to let you know.

The image on the coat of arms is really stunning!  I think you may have a second (or third... or fourth...) career designing them for people! big_smile  You definitely have a great gift for doing so.

24. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 13 years ago

Aficionada - I do believe you're right!
    'Festinatio' would mean in a hurry.

25. De Greek profile image76

Aficionada, thank you very much for your input. I have had my suspicions about this and we really have to find someone who speaks the language to guide us I think  that it is a good joke, but ther was no talent needed to modify an exisitng image. Many thanks for your help

1. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, since it is no longer spoken as a living language, it's hard to find someone who "speaks" it. It is popularly called a dead language. Anyone who knows any Latin today has learned it from books and teachers.

I could give you several different options for "depart in haste," but I don't think any of them would have the same terrific impact as Shalini's "Veni, vidi, fugi."  I mentioned that motto at supper last night, and my husband just about choked from laughing so hard.  He has never had Latin classes, but he is familiar with Julius Caesar's quote "Veni, vidi, vici" (I came, I saw, I conquered).  And he, like a lot of other people might do, was able to recognize in "fugi" the same word as in "tempus fugit" (time flies).  So he caught the gist and the humor of it right away. (Translated it would be "I came, I saw, I fled.")

If you still want to hear other options, I could give you some, but I do not believe they would be as poetic or as pithy as "Veni, vidi, fugi."

26. De Greek profile image76

Shalini, thank you for taking the trouble to contribute :-))
    However, we need someone to put a proper phrase together. Thank you! :-))

27. De Greek profile image76

Aficionada, many thanks for your kindness in pursuing this.

I understand your point and my only reluctance is that the suggestion is rather obvious to many. I am a great fun of the hidden meaning or the phrase which can be interpreted by ourselves when someone asks what the meaning is, in an IMAGINATIVE way :-))) That would increase the fun.

If you can find any other suggestions for consideration I would be very much in your debt, without excluding Shalini's excellent suggestion.

Many thanks again

Sorry I didn't see this earlier - busy morning IRL. smile  If you still want some ideas, may I do some of this in a thinking-out-loud fashion?  There are numerous nuances that can enter the picture, so I may muddle the matter, rather than clarifying it.

First - in the other great suggestion (Leave/Depart in haste), would you be specific about the verb form you want?  I mean, is this a type of imperative, a command (instructions to the family - "Leave! Depart!")?  Or would you want it to lean more towards a statement of fact (indicative) such as "We leave/depart in haste" ("that's just who we are and what we do")?  Another possible type of verb form would be a verb used as a noun (such as an infinitive or gerund): to leave/to depart or leaving/departing.  The specific ending of the verb will depend on which of these forms (or any other form) you choose.

Then, when I looked up depart on the Latin-help site I prefer (www.archives.nd.edu), I found a whole bunch of possible words.  At the top of the list for me were discedere, deserere, and linquere.  Some of the related English words would be "desert" and "relinquish."  (Discedere is related to words such as "concede, accede, recede," etc.)

I discovered another great word to use for "in haste," but it is almost certainly too esoteric for most people.  I didn't know this meaning until I was grubbing around for possible words.  Anyway, the word is tumultuarius - you can see the relation to the words "tumult and tumultuous."  But what is so great about the Latin word (for this purpose) is that it was used to describe military troops that were gathered together hastily.  There are (at least) two different ways to use it, and the ending will depend on which way is chosen.

I sort of liked the "fugare vel fugere" idea, because of what you mentioned here - not being quite so obvious and being a lot of fun to explain.  The two words look so similar and have a similar sound, but their meanings are close to being opposites.  Fugare = to rout or put to flight (as soldiers might do) and fugere = to  flee, "fly," "depart in haste" (as some other soldiers might do).  Y'know - discretion is the better part of valor, and all that.

Let me know what you think of some of these words, and I'll see what I can put together for you.  One option (among multitudes) would be: 

Fugare vel fugere, tumultuariter deseramus

(= "To rout or to flee, may we desert tumultuously" - That's sort of literal; a more everyday way to say it would be: "Fight or flight? let's scatter!")

I am ashamd of myself. Ihad assumed that you had enough of me and that you would not spend so much time on this.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I asked the designer to use - veni, vidi, fugi 

I am eternally greatful for your kindness. I shall post the final version online, on my story

http://hubpages.com/hub/For-those-who-helped-with-Latin

PROJECT now ENDED :-))

I think that is a wonderful motto, and I am glad you chose it.  Please don't feel bad or misunderstand the enthusiasm I put into the project in any way.  I truly love this sort of work, and I have been grateful for the opportunity to do it.  If only a Hub about it would draw a lot of clicks and Amazon purchases, I wouldn't need to write any other kind of Hubs at all (lol) lol lol lol!

Congratulations on the successful end of a very attractive and appealing undertaking!

28. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I Always Wanted To Study Latin when I was at school..
    She was so beautiful and many failed to get their tongues around her!
    Carp Diem... I was told hmm
    So I Did...
    But her Father Founda ma Ladder and Broka ma Face lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)