Reading Like A Writer

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. nataliemarie71 profile image60
    nataliemarie71posted 13 years ago

For anyone interested in learning to write or those who would like to learn more, I have posted a description of a book by Francine Prose called "Reading Like A Writer.  It was a great book!

1. gradyp profile image60
      gradypposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I started reading this a year or two ago.  I really need to pick it back up and go through it again.  I found it very interesting to read and as I read fiction, I find myself breaking things down somewhat, though probably not as much as I should.  I do find myself figuring things out in the movies I watch and the TV series I watch minutes, sometimes even episodes, before they happen.  And a lot of that has to do with me thinking as a writer and how I would do it.

2. Jael Turner profile image59
    Jael Turnerposted 13 years ago

I am currently writing a Western on "The Legend of Sven Svenson, the Swedish Cowboy" detailing my thinking. It's more of writing down the movie in your head. I will have to look your book. Thanks, Jael.

nataliemarie71posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good luck writing your story.  By all means pick up the book by Francine Prose.  There is a lot of valuable information in it!

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I think the key is to read all the great literature you can get your hands on. You will pick up on the rules of grammar naturally and your writing can only improve.

That is exactly the way that Francine Prose teaches a lot of her classes!  As a matter of fact at the end of the book there are 3 pages of great literature that she thinks all prospective writers should read.

1. profile image49
        allisonaaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

actually, it's next on the list...as soon as i finish "how to read literature read like a professor" by thomas c. foster. as one who loved doing research papers, it organizes all that thinking you did and gets ya where ya need to go a bit quicker in the future.

It is a really good book!  I'm now reading " Write Your Heart Out" by Rebecca McClanahan, which has proved to be real imformative as well!  Enjoy!

2. KFlippin profile image61
      KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely, most respected writing programs have a list of 100 or more required reading classics that span the ages through today.  But, it is a good idea to read some fiction studiously paying attention to style and structure, hard to do, because you get lost in good fiction and forget to pay attention.

You are right! I read so much that I tend to forget to sit down and write my thoughts! Thanks for responding!

3. profile image49
      allisonaaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

taking to uninvited writer's point--i completely agree about reading great literature or any other kind of literature, for that matter, but i'm not so sure about the picking up on grammatical issues "naturally" comment-- in part because lots of great or even good literature breaks or bends those issues almost beyond recognition sometimes and without a working knowledge of those rules and issues, you don't recognize the exceptions and, as a writer, i think it's harder to tell your story as effectively as you would want. granted, it's a technical point, but, particularly if you are trying to publish, using every tool in the box to tell your story can only put you a leg up on all the rest.

Thank you for your advice!

4. ACSutliff profile image73
      ACSutliffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It can be hard to read like a writer! I know I can easily get lost in a story and forget to pay attention to how a writer keeps me so interested. But I still believe that at least half of what I know and have learned about writing has come from reading books (The other half would be from how-to books).

I'm interested in this book that you mention, especially because I believe in reading to learn how to write. I'll check it out.

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I am not a reader. I am a writer! wink

I understand, but see I'm just starting out and I am reading all I can to learn how to write well!

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL It was a joke. smile

Gotcha! Lol!

5. nlowman profile image59
    nlowmanposted 13 years ago

Jumping off of Uninvited Writer's point, diagramming sentences is a helpful skill. It's amazing how much you learn about the language you've spoken your entire life! Solid sentence structure can really elevate your writing.

Believe it or not, I love diagramming sentences! Thanks!

2. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

are you serious?  Diagramming sentences means picking out the adverbs, adjectives and such, right?  I hate it!  I don't know anything other than a noun, a verb, and a conjunction. hmm 

'Conjunction junction, what's your function'   big_smile  TV taught me a lot....big_smile lol
      (seriously, though, that's the only reason I know what a conjunction is....)

6. Royalmark profile image60
    Royalmarkposted 13 years ago

Thanks, Natalie, but, can I get the book online?

I got mine at the library, but if you go to my hub Write Whats In Your Heart and Soul I have links to half.com and Amazon.  I'm sure one will have it! Half.com has everything. I use them all the time! And you are very welcome!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)