A real example of Obama's hope and change

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (40 posts)
  1. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

I've been off hubpages for a week.  I've been meeting with my accountant trying to salvage what little I have left.  Remember Obama's promise that if you're happy with your current health insurance you won't have to change?  Well, due to the fact that some of his CHANGES kicked in July 1st, my employer is dropping our insurance provider due to a rate hike based on the requirement to cover everything under the sun.  We've been informed we now have to settle for less.  Remember when Obama promised that if you made less than $250,000 your taxes wouldn't go up a dime?  My accountant gave me the good news that due to Obama's CHANGE, mine are going up to the point that I'll have to sell part of my property or risk losing our home place that's been in the family since 1888.  A grand total of 32 tax hikes or exemption cuts.  Remember Obama's statement just last week that the economy was coming back and doing well?  I used to have 107 employees.  I now have 85 and, due to Obama's CHANGE, I'm losing 20 more by the end of the year.  These are people that I've worked with for the past 10 years.  I don't believe the world is coming to and end by 2012.  I do believe the United States won't last that long.  How's that hope and change working for you?

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Obama considers the United States to be an "experiment";  that's what I saw him say in a television interview.

America needs to tell him to get his hands off OUR Country before his "experimentation" totally destroys it.  We're not his lab rats.

1. Strophios profile image61
      Strophiosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill. The eyes of all people are upon us. So that if we shall deal falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken... we shall be made a story and a by-word throughout the world."

This trope is older than America itself, and the idea which it encapsulates is one of experimentation: We are striking off on our own with new ideas (experimenting). If we screw up, then we shall be a warning to others (like an experiment).

3. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Hope and change is not working for a lot of people. But I hope the change is hurting all the people who voted for him more because they're the ones who put Obama in that position.

4. rkhyclak profile image60
    rkhyclakposted 13 years ago

My brother has an autoimmune disease that requires a chemo-like drug to be put into remission. He last had to have the Rituxin 2 years ago. He needs it now as his disease has exacerbated, however, he has to wait 2-3 weeks for insurance to approve it, whereas 2 years ago it was immediate. Meanwhile, he's in severe pain, off work and in danger of losing his job, and incredibly sick. I'd like to see the fit Obama's dumb ass would throw were it one of his children or siblings that couldn't get treated due to HIS Hope and Change.

5. chigoiyke profile image59
    chigoiykeposted 13 years ago

Y'all should cut him some slack!!

6. rkhyclak profile image60
    rkhyclakposted 13 years ago

For what? What has he done in the last 18 months that has actually been of benefit for this country? Deteriorate international relations? Completely screw up health care? Increase the national debt into the trillions? Disrespect ally countries leaders? Disrespect our own troops? Increase unemployment to 9.5%? He's spending money (that doesn't exist) hand over fist and effectively selling us out to anyone who will listen to him, which, thank God, is becoming a smaller and smaller fan base. Sorry, I will cut him no slack. He doesn't deserve it. And don't give me the load of BS he inherited all of his problems from Bush, that excuse is getting sorrier and sorrier by the day.

That's the opposite of true. Which relations in particular are you referencing, because I'm pretty sure that, if anything, he's improved them with most nations. In fact, I'm pretty sure your implied statement is just objectively and totally wrong.

This one's kind of funny. Not because insurance companies have responded to the bill which might actually force them to provide care sometimes by jacking up rates and basically proving to all those watching that they are just as evil as we've said they are, but because if Obama had had what he'd originally wanted (single-payer) it wouldn't have happened.

Additionally, as terrible as your experience is (and you have my sincerest condolences), that is a story which was played out hundreds upon hundreds of times before the health care bill as well. In fact, it was often worse: insurers would not simply wait "to approve it," they'd cut care altogether, claiming some kind of underlying condition. Or, the patient just didn't have insurance at all.

Not certain, but I'm pretty sure it was already there on the back of everyone's favorite president: George W. Bush. Additionally, the increasing debt is a useful economic tool, because it's backing stimulus spending. If you like, I can give you a basic lesson in Keynesian economics and how they work.

I'd like citations for both of these, because I'm pretty sure he's done nothing but respect our troops and I can't immediately recall any instances of "disrespect[ing] ally countries [sic] leaders."

On the subject of the economy:

"The Congressional Budget Office said in May that as of the end of the first quarter of 2010 the Recovery Act has “[i]ncreased the number of people employed by between 1.2 million and 2.8 million,” raised inflation adjusted GDP “by between 1.7 percent and 4.2 percent,” and lowered the unemployment rate. So there have been positive trends in terms of the unemployment rate and GDP growth since Obama took office, and according to Boehner, the President “owns” that trend:" from: http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/01/boe … s-one-job/

and the accompanying graph is at: http://www.speaker.gov/blog/?p=2312

On the subject of the stimulus see above.

Would you like me to link you to the John Stewart segment demonstrating how, throughout Bush's presidency, republicans were reaching back and blaming things on Clinton, even though he handed to Bush an excellent economy and a surplus? Because I think you'd find it very informative.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please do not introduce facts and sound reasoning into the forums.  Wingnuts consider these to be personal attacks.

2. Jim Hunter profile image60
        Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A surplus?

A surplus of what?

1. tobey100 profile image60
          tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol  Surplus and Obama go together like ice cream and toilet paper.

2. Strophios profile image61

A surplus of money. See here: http://mediamatters.org/research/200509130001

1. Jim Hunter profile image60

There was not a surplus, there was debt, a surplus is money left over once debt is payed!

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
              Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It would be pointless to point out Econ 101 with the libs. They just don't get it.

Obviously.

See above for why this attack is totally incorrect, and should in fact be turned towards yourself.

I did but it's no use my getting it if you guys don't lol

That's not even remotely how that works. Surplus is a term used in opposition to deficit. Debt is a separate term. Their interaction is as follows: surplus and deficit refer to whether the spending for a given year is either surpassed by or surpasses revenues. If revenues are greater than spending, you have a surplus. This surplus can then be used to pay off some of the debt, the long term loans the government has. It's analogous to a homeowner with a mortgage: the mortgage is debt. If he has money from his paycheck left over at the end of the month, that's a surplus. If he had to borrow to make it through the month, that's a deficit, which is then added to the debt.

Why don't you put that logic into practice with your creditors, in the real world if you have 20 dollars and owe 30 you are in the red!

Spin it however you like.

You still don't understand how this works. At all. Your willful ignorance is in fact astounding.

The word surplus has a meaning, when I use it I use that meaning. When you replied, you used an entirely different meaning. I then explained the meaning to you. This is your reply. Your grasp of the English language is... less than impressive.

To explain once more: In the real world if you owe 30 dollars, which you are paying off at 5 dollars per month, and you make 20 dollars per month after all other expenses then you are running a surplus. You can use this surplus to pay off more of the debt, of you could spend it on other things, since you only owe 5 dollars per month. If you had to borrow money to make it through the month, you ran a deficit.

That's the way surplus, deficit, and debt work. That is what the words mean. Please start using English like the rest of us.

I got to the insult and quit reading, have a nice day.

7. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

lol Ron M. wink so true tongue blame always got to go somewhere hmm

8. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

Real Americans are waking up to the lies.

What exactly do you mean by "Real Americans"? Keep in mind that making a one to one identification with conservatives is cheating. (And really dumb)

2. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The lies of the Tea Party?

Why yes, I think some are.

9. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

I slipped into poverty during the Bush years.
    Every time I tried to warn people, they would say "Stop whining."

So,to all you repubs who always told me to shut up:

"Shut up and stop whining!!!"

You are only experiencing now what many of us have been going through since 2000....it was put into place back then you know. You are reaping the pain now, since you had the luxury of more money to avoid it then. It was meant to happen long ago.

And the beauty is, they can now say it's all Obamas fault, and have the excuse to KILL gvt.

You think you have an Oligarchy now???

Wait til you cry to have corporate America back...then you will see real depravation.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Are you sure you aren't Sab Oh?

I asked you yesterday what you meant by that, no I'm not sab oh. Would that be a bad thing?

Nope, not a bad thing in my book.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
          Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yours is a fine, fine book indeed. Domo.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
          Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You own a book?

1. Sab Oh profile image56
            Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Another personal insult? I thought we talked about this.

No worries. Got it taken care of.

11. Studio E profile image58
    Studio Eposted 13 years ago

How come the price of gas is going down while gobs of oil is filling the gulf and the price of gas real high before the gulf gobs.

Things that make you go hummmmmmmm.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)