New non-adsense ads - help - they are too noisy

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

I'm sure I'm not alone in this. When I open a page I do not want it to start talking to me or playing music unless I press play. I really hate those adverts that are like a TV advert and appear on the page, and start playing without being clicked. Especially if I have multiple tabs / windows open and I have to hunt around trying to find the thing.

Now I have got some of these delightful ads on my hubs, right down at the bottom. So the poor reader can't concentrate on my lovely hub because some numpty is shouting at them about laundry detergent, and they can't shut the ad up because they can't see it buried at the bottom of the page.

So enough moaning. I know not very much about controlling the adverts that come up from Google. I suspect this has something to do with Google now placing ads from other networks, not just Adsense.

Anyone else experienced similar. Should I just stop accepting ads other than adsense ads to see if that works, or is there a way to block noisy adverts?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ads with autoplaying sounce would be a deal killer for me.  Hopefully this is not going to be a perminant thing.

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did not hear that (but I browse with the sound off usually). If you are right and this is some ads playing sound without a user consent, I am joining the petition to remove those ads ASAP.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree! 

We often get newbies requesting the feature to auto-play music or video clips in their Hubs.  Everyone usually howls it down, so I'm pretty sure it's not popular with Hubbers. 

I know HP is trialling other advertising right now but surely they could exclude these particular ads somehow?

1. profile image0
          shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It seems that with Maddie's comment below, that Hubpages are unaware of such ads being used and has asked for us to report the advertiser to them.  Just a heads up here!  Hope it helps smile

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Using an ad blocker with your browser should take care of it on your side.

1. timorous profile image82
      timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but everyone else who didn't, would still have to put up with it.  Advertisers need to be more considerate, and realize that such intrusions are a turn-off rather than a come-on.

Come on HP staff...just say no to noisy ads.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I fully agree.

3. Spacey Gracey profile image39

I want to take care of it for all the people who view my hubs - I don't like putting blocks/filters on because I like to see a bit of what the readers are getting.

These ads are really awful. If I think about how I use the internet:
    Browsing while watching the TV
    Working while bloke watches TV
    While listening to music
    In an office
    At all times I do not want noisy adverts - and I am guessing that a lot of the people who go to my hubs currently screening these TV style ads will just close the page or hit the back button in a desperate panic to get it to SHUT UP.

So - does anyone have any experience of blocking this type of ads from appearing on their hubs? If I switch back to just Adsense will they go away or do Adsense use these hideous ads too?

4. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

HubPages has 40 percent of the page impressions; it would be my guess that they can run whatever they want.

Of course they can.  But  running auto-playing ads will loose then readers and writers.  Hence the plea to reconsider.

1. profile image0

Once again, I fully agree.

5. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Well I'm confused now. I first tried out 20 of my hubs and it had noisy ads on 4 of them- they all appeared right at the bottom of the page so there was no way I clicked on them to play them by accident.

But I just tried another 20 hubs and no sign of them. So I went back to the ones that were there before and no sign again.

I wonder whether it was a fluke, or maybe because I clicked on the mute button on an ad (yes I know I'm not supposed to click on my own ads but needed to see if it was a real mute button that would shut it up) - is Google that clever that it now knows I don't like this type of ads and won't send me anymore.

If anyone finds these ads pop up their hubs maybe they could post here and let me know so I know I'm not a freak.

Thanks.

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Ads get changed constantly smile

7. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Spacey Gracey

Thank you for posting this I was trying to work out how I had activated the ad without clicking on it as I had just left a comment.

Reading your post is reassuring if these ads just auto-play.

I do not like them they make me want to leave the page as quickly as possible. Are they the ads that are mentioned as a new feature at the top of the page on your adsense account?

8. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

What we want is totally irrelevant. What the people who visit our hubs want is important. The only way to determine that is by testing, and it sounds like the HP team is doing just that. Heck, if it turns out that these ads do wonders for my CTR, I'm all for them! smile

9. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

There should not be serving any ads with auto-play audio, even in our own share of impressions.  If any of you can identify to us what ad or advertiser is doing this, please let us know and we will take care of it.

Great the hear that it is a glitch.

10. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

You should run an adware scanner...

unless any other hub users have seen these ads?

11. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I've been getting them too. There are two adverts, both video boxes right at the bottom of the page. One features a girl singing on a youtube video. Its in English and she is a schoolgirl singing to her boyfriend in class.
    The other is an ad in Spanish for...a cleaning material, available the world over...its name...? Can't remember, but its an expensive cleaning spray.

12. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 13 years ago

I have been getting them as well. And yes they are soooooo very annoying. Next time I come across one I will make a note and come back and post it. . .

13. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Izzy and WaveGirl  thanks for joining in - I was starting to feel like a freak.

I've had a couple of auto play ads come up on Bukisa today but nothing on HP so maybe yesterday was just a hiccup.

14. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I have yet to see this sort of ad on HP but I gotta say I HATE them! I too often have tv or the radio playing and will hit the back button to escape any site that thinks auto playing something is clever. I actually sent a complaint about this sort of thing on myspace as it made the site unusable for me.

15. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Maddie - are you still watching this thread. I just had an ad for Optrex Actimist Eye spray come up on my hub about iPad skins - it definitely auto-played and had sound. When I pressed refresh it was gone.

16. Spacey Gracey profile image39

and just had an 'interactive ad' auto play for Harpic toilet cleaner on my iPad case hub. It is like a TV advert with music and a voice over.

17. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

It’s not just that they are noisy the ads appearing on my some of my hubs are completely irrelevant. What has Vanish Stain Remover got to do with Google Advanced Operators? I earn very little from HubPages but I suspect the big earners will take a hit if this is running on their top hubs.

18. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I was wondering where these were coming from! I thought I had a virus!

1. profile image0

I was thinking about you when hearing about this, glad it has been resolved.

19. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Peter - mine too are completely irrelevant. Up until this week I had been very pleased with the relevancy of the ads appearing on my hubs. This week its been a bit rubbish.

Are we able to opt out of the non-Adsense ads that have just started, or since we share impressions with HP, is that a decision for HP masters? Does anyone know?

20. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

And five minutes ago I had a chirpy annoying bloke extolling the virtues of Harpic bleach on a hub about marriage. 

Make the adverts-with-sound go away, *please*.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You mean you don't want to know more about the virtues of Harpic? hmm

21. Spacey Gracey profile image39

I especially hate the Harpic ad- but the Lenor fabric softner comes in at a pretty close 2nd.

22. Maddie Ruud profile image73

Let me restate:

We do not want ads with auto-playing audio on HubPages.  We hate them as much as you do.  Please continue to report the advertisers who use such ads on this thread.

So far, the list of offenders I've gathered from this thread is:

Optrex Actimist Eye spray
    Harpic bleach
    Lenor fabric softener

Are there any others?

Thanks so much to Spacey Gracey for bringing this up.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
      Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Vanish Stain Remover

23. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Cillit Bang - that was the  name I was searching for earlier, but its in Spanish

24. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Harpic toilet cleaner (the max variety in the black bottle) I have seen three times.

And no problem Maddie. Ignore the email I just sent you - you have answered my question just now.

25. Maddie Ruud profile image73

Can anybody tell what ad network they're being served by?  I haven't been able to find any auto-play audio ads surfing the site myself.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
      Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps a list of urls playing the ads will help-

<snipped>

scroll to the bottom of the page and hit refresh a few times.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
        Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I'm sure they're distributed evenly across the site.  It's not page-specific.  But I did go to that hub and refresh it about 50 times, and nothing.

26. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I'm against this too.  Already had to spend a load of time cutting out adverts for things like Evony which are unrelated to content, really don't want to have to spend more time weeding out the sound playing adverts.

Add my name to the list against this.  I know these adverts can be effective, but they annoy the hell out of me.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Oli, read the whole thread.  HP is 100% against it as well.  This is a mistake we are trying to fix, but we need people's help identifying what ad network they're coming from, as I can't seem to find any of these ads myself.

1. profile image0

Would it help if someone who can see them took a screenshot and sent it to you?

2. 2uesday profile image66
      2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I do not know what the network was but they were both of a similar style. The  couple I have had on my pages were -one for a dishwasher tablet and the other was for an air-freshner.

They are close to the comments box and the 'link to this button' and I thought I had clicked an ad by mistake the first time it happend.

3. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years ago

a right click and copy of the url would probably be even better (in addition to a screenshot)

i havent been able to find one either

4. Peter Hoggan profile image68
      Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

They seem to have stopped being displayed for the time being!

5. timorous profile image82
      timorousposted 13 years ago

Every advertiser/merchant or ad network that wishes to place an ad on a particular website or websites, needs to prepare an 'insertion order', a contract between the ad network (or the original advertiser/merchant), and the website owner [that means YOU - HP!], to display a particular ad.

In other words, Hubpages would have agreed to show these ads.  They don't just 'magically' appear.

Come clean HP. yikes

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)