Ebay

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Brie Hoffman profile image60
    Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

Is it possible to have ebay as a link these days?  I'm confused, some have it some don't and I seem to recall that they no longer allow hubbers to have ebay on their site.  Does someone out there know the answer?

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

eBay has stopped accepting members of HP in their program.  Existing accounts are being allowed to remain, but no new ones.  Too bad, I think I could have done something there.  I'm jealous.

Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hate that!  Boycott Ebay!!!!

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but only if you have your own website and get accepted based on that.  Once in their program, you can then link in your account here.

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People who have eBay links on their Hubs fall into two categories:

1.  People who had a eBay account before eBay's policies changed.

2.  People who have their own website and applied for an eBay account using that.  Once you've got an eBay account, you can use it on as many sites as you like.

As others have said, eBay used to only pay on sales, like Amazon.  In those days, it was happy for any Tom Dick or Harry to display their ads, because it cost them nothing if nobody bought anything.

When eBay changed their model to a Pay Per Click (more like Adsense) they realized they had thousands of affiliates on free sites like HubPages, Blogger and the like, who were sending lots of traffic, but the traffic wasn't buying.  Mainly because on free sites, there is always a large contingent of clueless newbies.

Now, they could have gone through all their affiliates and only culled the ones that weren't performing, but I'm assuming there were just too many for that.  So they took the easy option and decided that only "serious" affiliates - people who were willing to make the commitment to pay for a domain name and hosting - would be accepted.

Luckily for us, HubPages stepped in and negotiated with eBay to let existing Hubbers keep their accounts - which says something about HubPages' good reputation.

2. climberjames profile image56
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

This is pretty strange, why would they not want HP users?

1. Len Cannon profile image88
      Len Cannonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Obviously because they believe Hubpages is more trouble than it is worth.

1. climberjames profile image56
        climberjamesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmm :S

2. wbfree profile image60
        wbfreeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I recently read an article that eBay is on a steady decline. It may be a long shot but perhaps they will change their tune and start allowing some of us to join their affiliate program again. While they are declining, sites like Craig's List is on a steady rise.

Again, this could be wishful thinking because eBay has been treating their sellers like crap for a long, long time. Maybe they prefer to continually die off until it's over.

1. relache profile image73

What's causing eBay to decline isn't a lack of affiliates.  It's too many sellers dumping tons of super-cheap, bulk goods on the site, combined with a decline in shoppers.

2. Brie Hoffman profile image60

It doesn't make sense to me either, a customer is a customer.

Clearly you've never worked in sales and/or manufacturing.  Not all customers are quality customers who make it worth your costs and efforts to do business with them.  eBay was getting too many people who were joining their affiliate program who then weren't producing web sites/pages that brought in converting sales.  Having all the sales people in the world isn't useful if those people aren't making sales.

It's like why Google stipulates that applicants from certain countries or world regions must have an established and significant web presence for six months before applying for AdSense.  There are certain places that send them a lot of poor quality applications.

I have never worked in sales but how can it 'cost' ebay to allow HP users to apply, surely 1 sale in 10,000 clicks is better than no sales at all by preventing HP users from signing up?

Not contesting what you were saying just curious smile

1. profile image0
            Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ebay came very close to not allowing any Hubbers to use ebay last year.

2. Len Cannon profile image88
            Len Cannonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually with the ebay PPC system they would probably lose money depending on how those sales are spread apart.

Ahh I didn't realise it was PPC

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
            Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is rather complicated. Basically - ebay moved away from a commission based model in order to avoid the inevitable sales taxes which the Government Inc is trying to squeeze from affiliates, and now offers a pay per click model which does not do well if the customers are poorly targeted. I was not terribly impressed with this in the first instance having targeted high value items that resulted in occasional, but substantial commissions - but I adjusted.

Take our OP for example - despite having been given clear instructions on how to make money here, she has decided to eschew  that in favor of writing "personal experience" type hubs which she would probably have liked to add random ebay capsules to in the hope that a lucky click will result in some income.

Most of these clicks would be "curiosity clicks" which would result in a cost to ebay, but probably no income. Personally - it suits me that my income is being protected from people like that and ebay did not eventually ban hubpages completely - which we can thank the staff here for.

The other thing ti consider is that these affiliate programs are almost completely opaque and very much a one way street.

They can do without you. wink

Well Mr. Knowles:  I just read a few of your hubs and I'm not impressed either.  There must be more to it than excellent content, as you have proven.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

Brie, Mark Knowles writes very well crafted Hubs.  What do you think isn't good about them?

If it's because they're factual and product-oriented rather than literary, then you're misunderstanding the purpose of HubPages. Well-written, informative product-oriented or hobby-oriented Hubs will always make far more money than literary, opinion-based or topical pieces.

To anyone one wondering why they aren't making money on this site, the above sentence is something you need to meditate upon.

Marisa:  I noticed one particular hub about jobs for teens.  I had written one recently so I was curious to see if it was better than mine.  I was not impressed, it included time worn ideas about lawn care (I think babysitting) etc.  I thought it was overly promotional, there must have been a half a dozen ads for lawnmowers.  And really I never would have said anything (as I don't make it a habit to critic other people's hubs) if he hadn't been so critical of mine.  I didn't look at some of the more technical hubs, I'm sure that they are good but they aren't something I have an interest in. 

Mark simply does not like that I am a Christian and write hubs based on my Christian worldview.  I'm sure he would prefer that I folded up shop.

And yes, I understand that "product-oriented" hubs do well.  I just don't think I would be very good at that sort of hub as I am not a salesperson.  I enjoy writing not selling.  If someone can combine those two things that's great and when I can I do but it is not my first love.

Thanks for the explanation. The one you refer to is one of those "product oriented" Hubs and the text is purely a vehicle to sell lawnmowers.  "Overly promotional" only refers to text links - you could have 50 links to lawnmowers and still be OK. 

Some Hubbers look down on that kind of Hub but the fact is, it's probably making a lot more than any of yours, or any of mine.  That style of Hub is a legitimate use of HubPages.

It would be worth your while to look at Relache's Hubs.  She pays her rent with them, and they're not sales pitches.  She writes informative articles about things she's interested in - but the important difference between her and you, is that she considers what aspects of those interests will interest other people, and prompt them to click on ads or buy something.

Remember, if you were a journalist, you would have to write on topics set by your editor.  Being a writer isn't about being able to write well on things that please you, it's about being able to write well on things that please your audience.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Umm - OK - I understand you feel as though you have been attacked, and - as a genuine Christian - will attack right back instead of turning the other cheek. I don't really care what you think of my writing. I make reasonable money from it and - on the whole - I am writing for money.

But - I have explained here why you will not be acceptable to ebay. Random "curiosity clicks" are of no value to ebay and I am glad that my income is being protected.

Sorry - I am sure that is uncomfortable to hear - but - that is the way it is. I have also explained to you how to make money here and - I promise you that if you take my advice - you will make money here.

I thought that was your goal?

Well, I don't walk on water Mark, but I know Someone who does and that is all that qualifies me to be a Christian, not someone's idea of what a Christian should or should not be!

I am grateful for your advice regarding ebay and how you promote your hubs, however, I was not and am not grateful for the unwarranted criticism.  And, yes making money is my goal but it is not my primary goal.  Ideally, I would like to make money while writing about things that matter (at least to me and my fans).  So I would like to have my cake and eat it too if that is possible.  And, that is why I posted the question.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Ah - well - now you know you cannot have your cake and eat it too. sad  Too bad. Welcome to the club.

I am well aware that you think you do not need to actually do anything to qualify as a christian. Just say the magic words - it was all done for you - right?

What a shame. sad

Awww OK, I get it then.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

If you'd learn more about affiliate marketing, you'd learn that most affiliate programs (which is what Amazon and Ebay are) require you to have your own site. Many affiliate programs expressly forbid you from placing affiliate links on sites that you do not own - which also include sites like blogger and wordpress.

Ebay only wants people in its program that know how to send high quality traffic that's williing to spend money. Even if they accept you, if you don't send enough of the right type of traffic, you may well get booted out.

Buy your own domain, get some hosting, and set up a site that designed to make money, that's what I did to get accepted into ebay.

4. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I've been pretty impressed with the way ebay determines the quality of the traffic. When I look at my clicks and see how many purchases were made, their value, and my ACRUs and CRUs - the EPC seems pretty fair - and consistent.

5. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

Gee, I think in another thread the OP started, I made it quite clear that most of the new hubbers are not being accepted as Ebay affiliates.

6. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

eBay being on a decline isn't too surprising considering how many businesses are struggling in a still tough economy. 

And I am sorry, but can someone tell me what OP stands for?

original poster

7. lakeerieartists profile image62

Well said, Marisa.

8. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

Not sure how a question about Ebay and affiliation launches into attacks on hubs and then defense of hubs and outlining what kind of hubs are on here and which are 'better' in someone's humble opinion.

Wasn't the purpose of this forum about EBAY?  Call me blond but how did you all get off on these tangents?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So why not bring it back on topic by talking about Ebay?

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

Akirchner, Brie has made several posts about being discouraged and seeking other ways to improve her Hubs' earnings. 

Mark and others have tried to point out to her that it isn't about adding more advertising, it's about writing Hubs that will cause readers to click on ads.  She seems to be having some trouble understanding that message and the fact that she's asking how to add eBay is an indication of that.

As you know, Mark isn't renowned for his patience and it sounds as though it has run out in this case.  I can't blame Brie for being snippy back at him, I would too - but it concerns me a bit that she does so by casting aspersions on his Hubs.  Because if she's aspiring to earn $1000 a month, as she's stated she is, then Mark's Hubs are an excellent example of what she should be writing.

If she hadn't clearly stated her frustrations at not being able to earn significant amounts on HubPages, I wouldn't be offering her advice on what to write.

1. Jashryn profile image61
        Jashrynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Regardless, this is an excellent discussion for those who are new to HubPages and busy trying to figure out how it works. It is great to read and learn from those more experienced. I am still drafting a first Hub, chose to do something beyond my reach to see if I could actually learn to do it. Many thanks.

I made a comment about Mark's hubs AFTER he made a comment about mine!!!!  He is very rude and I would be very happy if he never commented on anything I write again.  AFTER he made the disparaging comment about my hubs I went onto his site and noted one particular hub that was (IMHO) very mediocre.  It so happened that I had written on the very topic recently as well.  I never make disparaging comments against someone unless I am attacked, then I will defend myself.  I never make disparaging comments period, I'm too busy taking care of my own business.

His was the only comment that was disparaging.  You said he has little patience?  I never invited him to respond here.  He has responded in derogatory ways before (while I have  NEVER commented on any of his hubs, forums or posts).

Having said that, I did put ONE post on about being discouraged and ONE post on about Ebay.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Sorry? Rude? This is exactly what I said:

How is explaining why your approach is what caused ebay to ban new hubpage members from opening an account being rude?

I made absolutely no comment on the quality of your hubs or writing except to point out that it does not work with ebay (or amazon) because it does not generate buyers - and I know this from personal experience. You need to write targeted content if you are planning on making income from your hubs.

I think you owe me an apology, Ms. Hoffman.

And you are quite right about the lawnmower stuff. If you want to make adsense clicks you need to attract targeted traffic and then bore your reader to death. lol. That does not make it poor quality, but thanks for the critique. I will take it in context. You want some of my "better quality" writing - this is my current favorite - espresso machines. wink

Thanks Marisa. big_smile

9. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I emailed a seller on Ebay.co.uk tonight to see if he'd be willing to send a couple of stevia plants to Spain. I want one now seeing that it was heavily mentioned on another thread. Anyway, ebay.es don't have any sellers, Ebay.com won't send live plants to Europe and the ebay.co.uk guy replied that it would take a week to arrive and that the plants would die in transit. <sigh>
    Stevia isn't available in the shops here, and apparently the seeds (according to wikipedia) have a really low germination rate, so I'd be better off trying to get a rooted cutting.
    Slightly off-topic but still on ebay. Anyone know how I can get a plant?

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Um I remember my mum buying it when I was a kid and it came in powder form. She bought it from a health food shop I believe. It was similar to sugar but finer and sickly sweet (just a grain on the finger and you were making faces!)

Good luck finding it...

10. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I am not sure about ebay beaing on the decline, they dipped with the recession, but I am sure I saw them post above expected earnings in the last financial report, thanks to people looking for deals.

11. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

And you can still sign up to EPN, but you will need your own domain.

I have to say that when I sold some things on Ebay I was not impressed.  The amount of money you can make compared with the work and the postage didn't make it a worthwhile venture for me.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe that like being an ebay affiliate on hubpages, being able to make money selling on ebay involves lots of items. Of course you won't make money selling half a dozen items. It's when you have your own assembly line of sorts, know where to source good items and are turning it into an art... that you make money.

I've only recently hit 100 hubs and here's my honest opinion:

- You can make money writing what you love. I have less than 10% of my hubs written as "sales hubs" - and those ones are pretty bad IMO. smile
        (What you love doesn't refer to creative writing, I'm referring to informational hubs - I write about cooking, babies, computer games and books mainly.)
        - It will take a lot longer to make money writing what you love - but it is possible. But in the end it's a lot slower.
        - I keep telling myself I'll write selling hubs and get serious but but but... I have so much to say. smile
        -I've only made just over $40 off HP so far. But I can see the light. smile

So don't give up. Keep writing. Just don't expect to get the same amount of money that say a person with the same number of "promotional" hubs has.

And do listen to people like Marisa, Mark, Darkside, Relache, Nelle Hoxie. I admit it I'm too lazy to absorb 10% of the information they know - their brains are amazing!

Thanks, I have maybe 133 hubs and I've made almost $800 so far but that isn't even 100 a month...this month for example, I've only made 60 so far.  So, I guess I'm doing ok but I would like to see it grow into ..maybe 200 or 300 a month.  However, I'm like you I just can't bring myself to write for purely commercial reasons.

As you know, WryLilt, I take a similar approach.  Brie probably wouldn't be happy with my earnings either - I only make around $200 a month from my Hubs.  But then I never promote, so as a return on time invested that's pretty good.   And without my apprenticeship on HP, I wouldn't have my websites so I sort of count my website income as coming from HP too, if you see what I mean!

2. thisisoli profile image69
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

EPN is not selling your own products on eBay, it's selling other peoples products on ebay and geting paid for it.

12. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

There are a lot of power sellers on ebay and plenty of buyers too! I can see ebay growing during the recession because people are looking for things that are a bargain price. The online auction marketplace is alive and well.

So like has been already mentioned if someone wants to make money with Ebay they will have to learn how to get the right quality traffic of buyers to a self-hosted niche website, with a niche domain name, because the more specialized your website is to fit the products you want to sell at either Amazon or Ebay the better payout you will receive.

The fact that Hubpages was able to keep a contract with Ebay is just wonderful and another reason why this community rocks!

13. lakeerieartists profile image62

Frankly I have been listening to this conversation from the background, and if you are not happy about the amount of money you are making, then you need to write hubs that are focused on making money, however if you will not take the advice of people who are making money here consistently, then really you shouldn't complain about not making enough money. 

There is nothing wrong with writing "non-commercial" hubs, but they don't make money.  So if you want to make money then you need to write "commercial" hubs.  Ebay has every right to determine who is bringing money into the site vs who is costing them money.  The fact that we can make money from Ebay without paying them anything is a priviledge not a right.  I am very happy with my Ebay affiliate account and thrilled that Hubpages has a positive relationship with EPN that I can earn from.

1. Springboard profile image83
      Springboardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Being that HubPages is set up to present each individual hub as a separate web page, it stands to reason there is plenty of room for both promotional hubs if your aim is to make money, and creative writing if your aim is to do that.

Yes. You CAN make money writing the other stuff. If it is truly good and meritous it MIGHT bring in at least a few readers who also might happen to click.

That said, I'm inclined to believe that if the desire IS the money, then the effort should be on what generates the most. It's clear that certain hubs generate more. I'll agree that my poorest performing hubs are probably well written, but not doing any real "directing of traffic" if you will to any ads that might have shown up on the page.

Once you reach a level where your making enough money "hacking" out hubs that do exactly that, make money, then you can have more time to focus your efforts and energies on doing the things you love.

Sort of like working for a living if you think about it. You work and you earn and you save until one day you reach a point where you can afford to work less and have more fun.

1. Research Analyst profile image72
        Research Analystposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point!

Thanks, this is exactly what the rest of us have been trying to tell Brie, both here and on another thread.

14. Hub Love profile image40
    Hub Loveposted 13 years ago

This sucks, with the way hubpages is growing, ebay's missing out on a lot of help!

1. David 470 profile image82
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah i agree, but I can see why they no longer accept hubpages. To bad...

I wonder why they don't do what amazon does, you only get paid when someone buys something.

That's the way it used to be.  I'm sure they wouldn't have changed their model without a lot of thought.  I'm told it had something to do with tax.

15. SteveoMc profile image72
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

The OP said: 

Is it possible to have ebay as a link these days?  I'm confused, some have it some don't and I seem to recall that they no longer allow hubbers to have ebay on their site.  Does someone out there know the answer?

End of confusion:  They no longer accept HP, it must be tied to another website.

The rest of the thread, although there were some ruffled feathers, has been pretty healthy for those of us that have to be hit on the head with a hammer to realize what we need to do next.

I thank the OP, Mark, Marissa, Relache, et al. for the lively discussion that has made a difference to me.  I say, "keep it coming."

Thanks Steve

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)