Disobedient Pet Owners

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)
  1. TruthDebater profile image53
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

A puppy across the road at a neighbors house got ran over and killed last night. From what I hear, this isn't the first time they have had a dog ran over. Are there any laws or fines to disobedient owners that let their animals get ran over without keeping them leashed or inside?

I understand it is a cruel world and things happen, but why is this legal when things like dog fighting and others are illegal? I think this is animal cruelty the same or worse when an animal gets hit by a car and can suffer days or hours before death while the owner gets off without penalty.

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I agree there should be stricter rules on dog owners. However I'd like to relate our experience...

We have a malamute. That's like a husky. We had him inside a reasonably high fence. He escaped. We fenced off the higher backyard part. He escaped. We put him on a thick chain that weighed more than I'd like to carry and cost a shiny penny - he escaped carrying the chain. Currently we're using a length of high tensile wire and some thick chain. Our dog think he's Houdini...

So yes, sometimes it is the owners fault but take into consideration both sides!

TruthDebaterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I used to have outside dogs when I was a child, but now we have inside dogs. I am not sure I agree keeping dogs outside should be legal. I think dogs and cats are on a different level than animals like cows and other livestock animals. Usually with our dogs outside, we had little interaction with them. When inside, we are forced to appreciate them more. So should keeping or making them live outside or chained up be legal? Btw, our dog escaped a chain also when I was little and bit the landlord. She had to be put down.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Poor dog. Landlord probably deserved it...

I don't know how well a big malamute would go inside! Small dogs maybe but not a dog that big!

Thanks. You are right, my mom didn't like him, she said he deserved the bite lol. I don't think I have seen a malamute and i'm not sure it should be illegal to keep them outside, but many people keep great danes and other large dogs inside seemingly without too many problems.

1. Ivorwen profile image65
            Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stop and think about what you are saying!  Dogs are descendants of wolves.  Wolves live outdoors, all year around, in some of the harshest conditions!  Coyotes do likewise, and they are a fairly small animal.  I have seen coyotes out roaming the planes at night in -20F weather (plus wind), and they don't seem to be suffering.

Sure, they seek shelter, all creatures do.  A cave or abandoned badger hole.  A dog house offers at least as much protection.

I grew up on a farm, with a number of dogs over the years.  Most of them wouldn't come into a building unless food was being offered.  The favorite sleeping place of our dogs was in a haystack.

Thanks. There is a difference from domesticated dogs and dogs raised in the wild. Dogs raised in the wild have a greater chance in surviving the wild than do domesticated dogs. The weather is not always the only issue, like frogdropping wrote, some are left chained and barking the entire day. I can agree to some outside dogs that are away from busy roads, cars, and other houses.

I can see where you are coming from.  Having dogs in town (or a city) is a challenge.  After trying several options, we invested in a wireless collar system for our two dogs, as they couldn't jump it or chew thew it.  Inside is not an option for these dog's comfort.  They may enjoy curling up for a nap in the house, but they need the ability to run, and much more so than a walk provides.

I am actually amazed at how well domestic dogs can do in the wild, especially if they are running in a pack, but that creates a whole other problem.  hmm  Of course, I have never owned tiny dogs.

Thanks. Yes, I agree dogs should have some freedom while also using precautions to keep them safe. Do you believe pet owners should get off free without penalty that gets multiple dogs ran over?

While I am against animal abuse, I am also against excessive laws. 

Usually, towns and cities have leash laws.  If those are being broken, then there are already consequences in place for animals roaming at large, whether the animal is injured by the behavior or not.   Really, I think people who are not willing to take the steps to keep their animals safe of should choose not to own animals, however, people obviously have different ideas on what taking care of animal means.  Heck, people can't even agree on what that means for children.  Why should we expect everyone to think the same about animals?   Your neighbor needs to figure out a plan to keep the animals safe, before owning another one or choose not to own, IMO.

When we got our first dog, we trained her to stay home, within the boundaries of our yard.  We never had a problem (over a year) until a lady who walked by our house on her way to work decided to 'befriend' our dog, by offering jerky to the dog, when we were gone.  Of course, it was only a matter of time, before our dog was following this woman around town.  When our dog arrived at her place of work, she tied her up and called the dog catcher on us, claiming she didn't want to see the dog get ran over.  When we started talking to others about this, we found out that this woman was responsible for the demise of more than a dozen dogs, due to her 'befriending' of them. 

We were fined for our dog running loose, as were other pet owners, while the root of the trouble got a pat on the back for 'looking out for these animals.'  sad

3. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I walk our dog a lot. I never fail to feel disappointed at those that walk theirs and leave the mess behind. I see many instances of poor ownership. Just down the road there's a large German Shepherd that spends its life on a chain in a tiny yard. Another I know of that's left to bark - probably out of boredom. I could go on.

I was asked the other day if I mind walking ours, especially first thing on a morning when I'm half asleep. I hadn't thought about it. She gives me and my family so much, taking her out on walks is no big deal. But ... we are a cruel species, to each other, not just to animals.

We couldn't sort outselves out in a thousand years. We're too destructive. Of course not all of us are. But enough to make the good among us saddened from time to time.

Thanks. Very well said, I agree with everything. We are fast to take things for granted until we don't have them anymore or see someone elses animals in comparison. I guess all we can hope for is a larger awareness or more evolved humanity that places more value on life.

4. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think it's sad when owners don't walk their dogs. If they have their walks and social time walking through a park or neighborhood,generally they will be satisfied and won't try to escape. especially a big dog that needs to release energy.

I read somewhere that one reason dogs misbehave or try to escape is something in their brain. when a dog gets exercise, it helps to balance his brain and the dog is calmer. I have found that to be true with my own dog. It helps their overall behavior and feeling of contentment.

as far as penalties for the owners whose dog is run over? there are leash laws when a dog is off the owners property, but I'm not sure it would apply if a dog jumped over a fence or ran out of the house.

Thanks. I agree with your information on exercise. I am mainly writing about repeated offenses. If a person doesn't learn from past failures, I think there should be laws or penalties in place.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)