Loss of precision through word rot, treading carefully among the mines

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Yesterday, while trying to show that a persons thinking was affected by preconception, I used the word "prejudice".

The person felt that he had been insulted and attacked.   Apparently he thinks that "prejudice" is a pejorative and implies all sorts of nastiness.   Obviously that comes from the word being to commonly juxtaposed with race and homosexuality.

It's frustrating.  We've already lost so many words:  "stupid", for example.  It should mean unthinking, being in a stupor, and is a perfect word to describe a momentary mental state.  Everyone of us is "stupid" at times, but we can't use that word now because it has become a pejorative only.

Someone said that they got banned for using the word "pathetic".  Of course the context can matter, but as stated, that is very sad.

I often find myself hesitating to use certain words even though they are precisely the right words to use.   I have to ask:  do we have to dumb down our own language to avoid offending those with poor vocabularies?

It seems we do, and THAT seems  "pathetic" to me.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I learnt even as a child that there are two languages you must speak - the one with people who understand what you say as you want to say it, and those who need everything said nicely and spelt out.

I'm saddened to say that I often forget how to speak the former because so many people seem to speak only the latter language. sad

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah.

But how low do we need to sink here?

HubPages is supposed to be a community of writers.  One would expect writers to exhibit acuity with words.   Yet it seems that expectation is dashed on the rocks of ignorance - danger, danger, Will Robinson:  "ignorant" is an insult!

It's worse than politically correct as irohner said.  It's more than that. Far too many words are verboten - not from political correctness, but from simple ignorance of their meaning.

I'm a bit disgusted.

1. profile image0
          DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

a bit disgusted, sure, but not banned.  smile

Not yet.  But I expect some accidental slip will cause that eventually.

2. leeberttea profile image56
          leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Censorship is a dirty business. It requires all sorts of personal and subjective judgements that inevitably lead to inconsistent administration of policy. Also in writing, the tone of a comment isn't always clear and what may be viewed as an insult is really nothing more than failed sarcasm.

Personally I think insults should be allowed here, it helps relieve stress and dissipates anger, and it can often be expressed in creative ways.

I wonder:  if HP had a censorship free area, would that become more popular than the regulated forums?

smile

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Agreed. It's not enough that we strive to be grammatically correct, we also have to make sure now that we're "politically correct," lest we wind up in the same place Jennifer Aniston found herself last week.

3. LaMamaLoli profile image61
    LaMamaLoliposted 13 years ago

I think you should always use the correct word and bug*er the consequences. I am fed up of people taking offense at words which they don't actually know the real meaning of. But then I am also fed up with "political correctness"...I might just go away and start a revolution...

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Careful, you could end up losing your job over it.

Well, I couldn't (I work for myself), but yes, someone else could.

4. LaMamaLoli profile image61
    LaMamaLoliposted 13 years ago

I think you should write a hub about it!

I don't think I could say enough to fill a hub, but maybe someone else can.

1. Disturbia profile image59
        Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well you would only have to spend 20 minutes talking to my 15 year old and a group of her friends and you would have enough material to fill a book.  These kids speak a language all their own.  Fortunately, I have Star to translate for me... LOL.

5. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I suppose I'm running a risk even mentioning this, because the person who took offense could  show up here and complain that I am implying that he is stupid.   Of course I am not, I am implying ignorance.   As Ron White so amusingly said "You can't fix stupid", but ignorance can be a transitory condition.

I invited him to report my transgression.  I would hope that HP staff understands that my use of "prejudice" was neither insulting nor an attack, but I have no idea how persnickety things have become here.

6. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

WOW, I'm sorry you were misunderstood Pcunix. This just so much reminds me of the David Howard incident where his use of the word "niggardly" was interpreted as a racial slur and the controversy forced his resignation. 

The meanings of words just change over time. Of course the word niggardly has nothing to do with race, it just sounds too much like the "N" word I guess.  But take the word gay for example, it used to mean happy, then homosexual, now kids use it to mean dumb or stupid. Or the word sick... which now means cool. Bad is good, cool is hot... it's just the way language devolves unfortunately. 

Don't see how much can be done about it except education, except that education seems to be devolving even faster than our language.

7. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Well if you sponsor all the dummies that you insult with such words and send them to Law School... they will find the TRUE meaning of the word.... and thank you, won't they?

Especially if they study Contract Law... 'Without Prejudice.'

I don't think you need to have any specific education.   Actually, all you need to do is read widely and omnivorously.

The more you see words in context, the more you understand.  Unfortunately, reading skill seems to be diminishing - skimming is the new skill for today's world.  That likely comes from all of us having far too little leisure time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)