Blocking fake followers

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    TransScribblerposted 13 years ago

I am being followed by someone with no hubs, who claims to have over 100 followers. As I always do with a new follower, I went to this persons profile and all their hubtivity is following other hubbers. Their off hub url is a spam ad. How do I remove them from my followers list and block them?

1. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think you should not worry about it
      1. if they are spammer they will be penalized by the HP team
      2. anyone may like your hub and follow you even before publishing his/her first hub.

1. profile image0
        TransScribblerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks saleheen.fl12.blogspot.com is the one following me.
        I don't care if people follow without posting. It's when they take advantage of others that I have an issue. More so after what Nell Rose went through last week.
        I have flagged their profile, so it's just a case of wait and see, now.
        TS.

2. 50 Caliber profile image60
      50 Caliberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I came here as a reader, and followed many and read. I'm a couple of months shy of 2 years with only 10 hubs, but I do enjoy reading and interacting with the writers. I have made 750 comments and I don't know how many up ratings with out comment.
      If they are mistreating you, flag them. Sooner or later the "spam" police will catch them, so enjoy the "good" here, 50

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

The only thing you can really do is flag their profile.

It's kind of silly to spam follow, since it doesn't actually achieve anything but I guess spam followers aren't that smart to begin with!

3. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

i don't know if you could block or not but if they are spammer just flag their profile.
    fl12.blogspot.com and MakeMoneyGoal are two of them.

1. bayoulady profile image67
      bayouladyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know. I am new so I could be wrong.  But fl12blogspot.com is a spam, I think. "She" has NO hubs and yet in 8 days she has way over two hundred followers. She is following hundreds of hubbers already, and apparently some just return the favor without checking her out. When she "followed me" I checked her out. She  has no hubs amd makes no comments and has in 8 days that many folowers.. Maybe because she she spent hours and following hubbers. Of course it may not be.........

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Isn't there also the chance "she" may have a bunch of alter egos and be following herself in exchange for following herself?   lol

1. profile image0
          DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats exactly what I always wonder. smile

I don't think there is any need to block a follower, having a follower (real or fake) will not harm you any. If you find a questionable profile, simply flag it.

4. Peter Hoggan profile image67
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

Anyone can follow you, if you have a problem with any of them just don't follow back. The 100 followers this person has gained obviously are of the 'follow me and I will follow you' brigade. It’s nothing to be concerned about.

5. Joe Badtoe profile image61
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

I'm a schizophrenic with abandonment issues is it ok for me to follow myself and see what I get up to before reporting me?

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whatever makes you happy - or, as the case may be, less miserable.

2. profile image0

or before you abondon yourself. Thats never fun.

1. Joe Badtoe profile image61
        Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did abandon myself once but then I met myself on a one way trip around the world as I was headng back.

It's not easy having a split personality sometimes I don't know which way to turn.

1. profile image0

but no matter wich you you choose, you will find yourself.  smile

I found myself looking for someone else

1. profile image0

lol well...at least you werent alone.

It got a bit crowded so I threw myself out

1. profile image0

dude.
                  you are conflicted.

I told you I wasn't myself.

2. Daniel Carter profile image61
          Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I posted this on my cubicle at work one day.

"I have gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please keep me here until I return.
          Thanks."

My supervisor was confused for over a week.

RE: Spammer/followers: Report them. I reported the two mentioned. There's no other way to block them that I know of.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)