Possible HP Hack?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

Have a look at this hub and tell me what you think. http://hubpages.com/hub/pink-comforter

The amazon capsules have extra html in them that shouldn't be there.

I also saw one of my friends here had posted a very strange comment on a hub which I though was not like her at all. It just said "data recovery services" on a hub that was nothing to do with that. I'm 99.9% certain she didn't post it.

I have emailed the team, but wondered how widespread this was.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just experimented a bit - with those amazon items etc. Strange maybe it's a random hack?

Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When you added the same items did they come up with the same bits of extra html then?

I've checked a few of my amazon hubs and they look fine.

Nope they didn't.

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Looks more like Amazon hack to me smile

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah, I know what it is. When you add a specific amazon product, you can add a description. I bet this poor spammer tried to add poker links into description - but links are not live. No hack, just a regular spam attempt that failed smile

big_smile I just tried it and I believe you are right. big_smile

2. Susana S profile image92

I'm not sure - it might be, but I don't think a spammer would have posted a forum thread saying what's up with my amazon capsules. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/52737

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Umm, providing that thread was not a smart ass attempt to figure out how to make links live - I would suspect guy got some kind of trojan/malware on his own computer. Still likely nothing to do with HP or Amazon websites smile

Well that seems to solve the puzzle smile Glad we got to the bottom of it! Cheers lol

1. Pearldiver profile image68
              Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does it Really Solve the Puzzle?? hmm

Is That REALLY You Susana? yikes

Lol Pearl smile It's me alright! I thought at first it was a hack of the site, but after doing some digging around on google it looks far more like a virus someone has on their PC, rather than anything site wide.

There are plenty of people complaining that when they type into an online venue, these strings of html (a href link code) come out automatically or are added to the bottom of their text. So puzzle solved! Not so good for the person that has it on their PC though hmm

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
            pauldeedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, that appears to be what happened.

I spoke to the person today by phone and it does seem to be a piece of malware localised on her PC which somehow automatically creates all this spam crap. I'm sure she sent an email to you guys today to explain what's happening and I sent one to Maddie for good measure.

3. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

i added amazon ..it look perfectly fine to me...

4. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

Hmmm, I just found this on google which suggests it's some kind of malware or virus.

http://www.seasonsecurity.com/a/random- … 24191.html

5. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Ya mean some one has pasted in the Amazon descriptions their own hacked spam code and now I GOTTA COPY AND PASTE MYSELF????????

Whats the world coming to when a user has to copy and then paste someone else's spam, geebus, that means making an effortand moving my mouse around and clicking on more screens. I was disgusted at spam behavior in the past, now I am doubly disgusted!!! lol lollol

If you copy and paste yourself, what are you going to call your clone? big_smile

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You picked up I forgot the comma, so if I did have an actual clone, Id call him mini me.......

Oh that is SO evil. big_smile

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll315/ninjasnake99/BabyORly.gif

Hahaha that used to be an avatar of a guy on a forum I frequented years ago!

may I present..........................Mini Me BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

big_smile darn should have put that in the post above lol

2. adrienne2 profile image66
              adrienne2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@Kangaroo_Jase Now thats the cutest video I have ever seen. LOL U rock Jase.

ahhhhhh Ty Adrienne, appreciate the comment, I roll on occasion too lol

2. agvulpes profile image85
        agvulpesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He would be Wallaby_Jase !

hmmmmm,

Being a young one, would think he or she would be more a........ joey Jase lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)