It amazes me

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 13 years ago

That people who have never tried alternative remedies are the first ones to criticize them. I think a lot of people are addicted to the "take a pill" philosophy, and think that modern medicine can do no wrong. All I have to do is look at the side effects of most medicines to know I don't want that stuff in my body.

I've been using herbals and holistic medicine for many years, and am much healthier now than I have ever been. I used to be constantly running to the doctor, getting antibiotics, then antifungals because the antibiotics killed all the good bacteria in my body.

I just wish people would try one herbal remedy and see if it helped them before they started their slash and burn campaign against it.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that seems to be the status quo. it works like that with politics, religion, any aspect of life where there are different schools of thought. people don't want to step out of their zone of familiarity or what they believe to be right.

I've used herbal teas, remedies for years and yet there are some that can be dangerous with certain conditions. a lot of our sicknesses don't require pills, they require lifestyle changes and keeping ourselves grounded. 

a cup of green tea a day seems to make a difference for me. smile

2. Karen N profile image70
      Karen Nposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They both have their place.  But I usually try the natural medicine first, and if that doesn't take care of it then I move on to the modern stuff.

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I hardly ever take any medicine at all, whether synthetic or natural.

In the past 24 months there has been one occassion, stretched out over about 5 days, when I took painkillers and aspirin to help me get through a week at work whilst ill. They were the only things in the cupboard and had been there for several years.

I often wonder whether these people who have a constant supply of painkillers or paracetemol are actually prone to 'headaches' or are simply blissfully unaware of a slight addiction.

To be honest, I would never have considered alternative remedies for feeling like crap. My priority is to grab what I can find, otherwise I would need a stockpile of natural cures for conditions and illnesses which I may never experience. So convenience undoubtedly plays a huge part.

1. profile image52
      gkrooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yikes!  Natural Herbal Remedies and plants and barks and roots are not something that you stockpile like painkillers or sedatives so you can use them when you have a pain or can't sleep!  Well, Natural Herbal Teas are really a good defense, but Herbs cure conditions, they do not cover.

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

The pharma companies have done a good job at protecting their investment, not to mention, probably have a good chunk invested in the FDA.

There is not a doubt that there are plenty of natural remedies for people to take, but many continue to run off to their doctor who just prescribes another pill for them to take on their so-called good advice.

I worked in a sports nutrition store for a couple of years and was surprised at the number of things carried by them, that would handle problems pills presently do.

Not to mention, not many people are firm believers that things like antibiotics are bad. Which antibiotics actually reduce a person's immune system, making them subjected to catching a number of other things, while supposedly healing them.

1. profile image52

There is a cure for that condition.

4. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Quite so.  Those pharmaceuticals should only be used for emergency situations.  The so-called 'side-effects' are actually the main effects.  The fact that it somehow may have the intended remedial effect is co-incidental.  Meanwhile, your natural chemical balance has been disturbed, and your immune system is compromised.

Continued reliance on any drug is bound to make you worse in the end, not better.  Of course, this is just what big Pharma wants..they line their pockets while 'managing' your malady.  The last thing they'd want is to find a 'cure' for anything...no profit in that, is there?

Just stick to the natural stuff, and you'll be way better off in the long run.  I haven't been sick in years.

Ok...there's my rant for the day boys and girls.  You may want to check out my 2 hubs on this topic. smile

Cheers.

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a couple of serious problem when I was told to accept my limitations and live a limited life. That was the last I visited a doctor for prescription drugs.
      I refused to accept their verdict  ( they said I would be crippled for life)  I shifted to alternate medicines not only am I in perfect health but I can do what I want.  I am not limited by their verdict. I have changed my life style and more importantly my food habits.
      Thumbs up for alternate medicines

1. timorous profile image81
        timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's my girl..way to go sofs.  Everyone needs to stand up and take control of their own health and their own life.  Don't be bamboozled into any kind of drug regime, until you've ruled out the alternatives.

Chances are if you've gotten yourself into such a state, you can get yourself out.  It just takes longer.  However, your body is amazingly skilled and resiliant at rectifying imbalances if you give it half a chance.

Man-made chemicals have no business being in your body at all.  That's what those 'side-effects' are..your body rejecting foreign substances.

2. profile image0
        Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My friend was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and almost died from the medication. She was told she had 10 years at best. 22 years later, she is still using natural medicine to fight the disease, and while she has good days and bad days, she is still here and still functioning pretty normally.

I look at her and say "Why would anyone want to take prescription drugs?"

2. profile image52

Will do Timorous.

5. alternate poet profile image68
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I teach at a Chinese Medical School.  They say that western medicines work faster but sometimes do more long term damage than they cure.  I have taken Chinese medicines and they have worked just fine so far, they seem to be better at curing skin disorders as I note from a friend next door.

If anyone has any questions they want answered about Chinese medicines ASK ME  -  and I will use them as the basis of the next class discussion.  I teach around 180 pretty girls doing nursing majors, I am sure they can enlighten us!

1. timorous profile image81
      timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well gosh darn it...why don't you write us a hub about it? smile

2. profile image0

Yeah, write some Chinese medicine hubs! I'll read 'em!

1. alternate poet profile image68
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know very little except what 'she' does to me occasionally if she thinks I am ill or getting ill or may be going to get ill !   Teaching English there doesn't inform me unfortunately - BUT I can ask loads of questions and get specific answers.

6. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Seems to me there is a time and place for everything, including 'eastern' type remedies and modern western style medicines. Say I have a cold or the flu, a nice echenisa (sp?) tea with lemon and maybe some golden seal gives my body a bit of a boost to fight the little buggars off in the first instance, plus a day or 2 of rest = cure. I come down with some strange exotic cancer I may well want to take the heavy duty pills, and I certainly want them to work which is why I don't take them for small ailments. Use a fly swatter for the flies and use the rifle for dangerous predators smile

7. theherbivorehippi profile image64
    theherbivorehippiposted 13 years ago

I totally agree!  Like..no one will try anything and they think you're crazy...even though there all of these recalls for so many drugs all of the time.  My family even laughs at me because I drink Apple Cider Vinegar everyday and use it for just about anything and I give my dogs all herbal alternatives for heartworm prevention, etc.  But everyone would rather take some synthetic garbage rather than choosing something natural.  It makes no sense.  My mom and both of my aunts have various health issues and I have recommended so many things to all of them and they just refuse...well then, just keep taking your drugs and complaining! 

P.S....yes..you should write a hub on it!

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Apple cider vinegar will knock out any food poisoning. I use it every time my tummy starts to feel like I ate something tainted and it always puts the breaks on the cramping and such. I LOVE cider vinegar and am not surprised to hear that it contributes to your good health. I kinda associate the taste with feeling better after eating bad mayo or prawns or even beans (you know if they are not cooked right they are right dangerous)

1. profile image0

I use garlic a lot when I'm not sure about something...you know, it tastes a little off, but not bad enough not to eat it? I take four garlic capsules when I eat it, and I never get sick.

8. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

all things which are not natural are bad for the body unless it is for much serious illness, then one needs medical care.

I think that herbal meds are the best,,

1. profile image0

I have found that if you can't knock out an infection in 10 days with garlic and ACV, you need to go to the doctor. Otherwise, save your money.

I've even cured a sore that had MRSA with baking soda, ichthammol and peroxide.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's ACV?

1. profile image0

Apple Cider Vinegar...a great blood cleanser.

9. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

What do you recommend for the common cold? I'm a teacher and I'm constantly getting sick. I already take vitamines, vitaminD, and Omega3.

1. profile image0

Chicken broth with tons and tons of garlic and onion in it. Drink nothing but this broth all day as soon as you start feeling bad, as hot as you can stand it.  Make at least a gallon of it, and drink it all day and just before you go to bed. No special measurements, just put a lot of garlic and onion in it. I use a whole head of garlic and about 2 large onions. White onions are best. My friend gave me this recipe, and I did not believe how well it worked. If you can't get fresh garlic, use either the chopped garlic in jars or take 12 garlic capsules a day, and drink the chicken broth with onions.

Then get the Zicam swabs and swab your nose with them as directed. I swear, this stuff WORKS! The FDA and big pharm tried to get it taken off the market, it works so well. They did succeed in getting the extra strength variety removed.  Last time I had flu, I took this and only missed one day of work, the first day when I had to drink the garlic/onion soup all day...it does give you really bad breath. LOL

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh Good! I'm going to try it! My students in 4th and 5th grade pass gas all the time. It's something funny to them but I have to deal with it. The bad breath is going to my payback!!! LOL

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to start tomorrow. I have been with a sore throat all day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)