What was normal in the 17-1800's?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

When was poligamy banned or was it ever normal, what does the bible really say about poligamy?

what was the average life expectancy in the 1700's and normal age to give birth?

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I think in many places but Western polygamy is still a norm smile

3. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 15 years ago

Up until (really) the Industrial Revolution in the West, and the development of modern medicine, life expectancy for women was considerably lower than that of men because so many died of complications related to childbirth.  It was therefore common for men to have practiced serial monogamy with two or even three women, marrying younger women of childbearing age.  Of course there were many exceptions to this general circumstance, and if childbirth didn't get ya, there were many other diseases that claimed victims of both sexes.  But the clause "til death do us part" in the marriage ceremony used to mean something different than it does today. 

Girls were married when they became "of marrigiable age" -- when they reached puberty; the best years (physically speaking) for women to have children was in their teens (if you survived childhood, that is). Still is.

But take the example of Mary Shelley, who had two miscarriages by the time she was 19, and whose own mother died when Mary was six weeks old.  This was quite common, unfortunately.  I think Shelley was about 19 around 1820 or so?

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Was this also a practice of the Roman Catholic Church?  I am also curious, was it also "normal" for women to still bear children into their 40's?  And men in their 70's?

It's an odd question that doesn't make sense much if the life expectancy was so low then for women.

1. Teresa McGurk profile image60
        Teresa McGurkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Nah -- I think women could have kids til their late thirties -- but that was middle-aged.  Men, wouldn't ya just know it, could always pop out the stuff to make babies til any age at all.

Not sure what you mean by "practice of the RC Church"?

1. profile image0

I was wondering if polygamy use to be a practice of the RCC in the late 1700's and 1800's?

1. Teresa McGurk profile image60

No, definitely not.  And divorce was out.  smile

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67
            Lady Guinevereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes it was and here is the link to the long article about it:
            http://www.libchrist.com/bible/catholiccelibacy.html

1. profile image0

Thanks LG, I am gonna read it right now.  smile

2. Teresa McGurk profile image60

To be fair, concubines are not recognized within the bounds of matrimony, because -- well, because they weren't married.  Perhaps Sandra is wondering about polygamy as a recognized convention?  Because it certainly wasn't, although, of course, you are right in saying that many priests had mistresses.

1. profile image0

The link said that polygamy was banned in the 1000'ish due to monetary matters. 
                And that all preist who were married were told to get divorced. 

With that I see it used to be a practice of tradition until it got too expensive, so do you think it still happens and is not being recognized because the church will not give inheritence to children of preist. 

I smell conspiracy. lol  though I thought the article was a little exagerated, though I don't know for sure either, when it said that catholic men rank highest having HIV. 

So preist are making bastards?

1. Lady Guinevere profile image67
                  Lady Guinevereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Another thing to throw out there is the pedophile Catholic Preists---we have no idea of knowing if they got any of the girls pregnant.........just a thought......

Ah!  money.  how could we forget?

2. LondonGirl profile image81
      LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mary Shelley's mother, Mary Wollstonecraft, died of childbirth fever. She'd already had an illegitimate child, Fanny, before her marriage to Shelley's father. Shelley's father then re-married, a woman who already had children, and they had another child together.

The household then contained a huge mix of children of different parents - Mary Shelley, her step-siblings, her half-sister Fanny (not related to either adult by blood) and the new child.

4. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Thank GOD I didn't live back then.  I have already decided, I would probably have lived as a nun or a courtesan. Maybe I'd have joined a circus or a traveling theatre troop, ?

smile  Actually started writing a poem about Italian courtesans. It probably would have been the most appealing mode, as long as you had planned for the future.

Just for the freedom and education aspect alone.  Lord.

BTW, the main reason women died in childbirth or soon after was due to men's dirty hands.  Literally.  LOL.  Medical doctors would work on cadavers, etc., and then deliver babies.  Many women would die of "childbirth fever" simply because of sanitation.

1. profile image0

Mother Sorensen!  LOL, it has a ring to it.  smile

Reminds of an episode of That 70's Show where Kitty gives sex advise to Eric and she says, make sure he has clean hands. LOL  hahahhahahhaah.

"His clothes are dirty, but his hands are clean
      And you're the best thing that he's ever seen;
      Lay, lady, lay
      lay across my big brass bed. . ."

Julian of Norwich (not even her name -- that's where she lived); she wrote in the Middle Ages, and she became a nun because she was fed up having children -- she had one every year, then something just snapped and she couldn't take it anymore, joined the church, and lived as a nun for the rest of her life.  Can't say I blame her in the least.

1. Lifebydesign profile image62
        Lifebydesignposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What an interesting connection you made with this song Teresa. Clean hands though do translate anywhere, anytime so to speak. lol

Have you read "Revelations of Divine Love"? It's great, very interesting.

5. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Yeah.  You can forget that!  People were not meant to have litters, EVER (personal opinion).

Artemisia Gentileshi--and I probably just butchered the spelling of her name, as it has been a while--is said to have had 7 or 8 children.  She pursued her career as a great painter and supposedly her husband took care of all the kids.

Still!  As a nun, you couldn't have clothes or lovers, lol!  (Well, for all anyone knew.)  Therefore--courtesan or mistress would have been the preferred choice, really, smile, as long as you could read what you wanted!

1. profile image0

I know you love books, but have you seen The Other Boylen Girl?  Maybe you wouldn't want to be a mistress then. lol.  big_smile

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I prefer the model of A Dangerous Beauty (movie) and the poet/courtesan Veronica Franco.

Really a beautiful film if anyone is in the mood for that kind of thing...

It was a book before a film - I've read it, but not seen it.

You'll note that the mistress survived the relationship, but the wife didn't!

1. profile image0

what!!! In the movie the mistress (who ended up being the wife, bad girl!) ended getting her head chopped off.  The first Boylen girl mistress fell in love, had the baby boy and then got screwed by her sister the new queen that got her head chopped off. 

sad

6. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

Here is another link that has the history of the canon and the celebacy laws on it and it is from the catholic encylopedia----  http://criticaltheology.net/II_Chronolo … ibacy.html

7. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

What about The Dutchess, that movie made me cry like a baby.  Even if love existed between, The Dutchess had to give up her love child because even women who have mist-er-esess get a bad rap.

8. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

Yes, Mary (probably older, unlike the book) was a mistress only, Anne was a wife, and executed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)