Can dogs see "things" we cannot?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    American Tigerposted 13 years ago

I just got a little freaked-out. For the record, I'm a straight-laced, Conservative, Right Wing gun-nut, and a retired bodyguard. Little beyond my daughter's driving scares me. I don't do drugs and I haven't been drinking.

My roommate's year old female pit-bull, who is quite possibly the sweetest dog alive, just got simultaneously scared and angry, at something I could NOT see. She alternated between teeth-bared quiet growling, and ears-back submissive whimpering, while looking into a spot I could see clearly.

I was on the far side of a 4ft cinder block barrier we'd built from the house to the neighbor's fence, to keep her in the back yard. She was in the back yard, looking at a spot on the ground 4 feet away from the barrier, and wouldn't get closer than 8 feet from that spot. She would look at me, then look at the spot. Barren open ground.

Somebody tell me she was looking at a snake or something, burrowing below the surface. Any other possibility makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

She could have seen an Astral Projection of George W. Bush! roll Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up! roll

1. profile image0
        American Tigerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah. I live in Nevada. Harry Reid, though...

And thanks for lightening my mood, Klara. ;-)

2. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this
  2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I can't believe you posted this! My little doxie has been acting very strange lately on our walks when we get to a certain spot. I've told most of my friends that she's seeing doggie ghosts, because there's absolutely nothing there, but the hair on her back goes up and she goes wild!

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol. there is a full moon! a super harvest moon.

3. caninecrtitics profile image61
    caninecrtiticsposted 13 years ago

my dog will do the same thing in my house that is known to have ghost spotting in it.  He'll just sit their and watch something like it's a person walking right by.

4. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Actually, it is very simple. Dog's smell is thousand times better than ours. They can smell their enemy(another dog, cat, smth.)that may be yesterday visited that spot, but smell is still there and they behave as if somebody or smth. is still there, but for them it IS there indeed!

I think so. the dog probably smells something. their sense of scent is very powerful. I've read that they can even detect some cancers. I don't know if it's true, but I remember reading that a few years ago. my dog barks at seemingly nothing visible, but I know something is there.
      I think they do sense energy vibrations as everything gives off some kind of energy. I still find it amazing to see which people dogs decide to bark at. my dog doesn't bark very often at people, but a certain man who used to always walk by our house; he couldn't stand him! his shackles would raise and he could sense when that guy was going to walk by. he would run the entire length of the fence barking at him.
      we haven't noticed him for quite a while.

1. profile image0
        BenjaminBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is true they use dogs specially trained to sniff out cancer, I believe I saw a show on the History Channel about it or one of those learning type channels.

I just did a search and look what I found on page 1?  a hub! smile
          it also has a link to the research in case anyone is interested.   

http://hubpages.com/hub/Dogs_Detect_Cancer_in_Humans

5. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Unsure about the metaphysical but I can attest to the physical. Boo just saw something I didn't. The chance to eat 12 cupcakes, cooling on a rack hmm

6. andromida profile image57
    andromidaposted 13 years ago

Dogs see everything,many says dog even can see inter dimensional beings. Who are those many? aaawww.smile

7. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I agree it probably has something to do with their sense of smell or with some object that is very small which the dog can see better than you can.... its eyes being closer to the ground and all.  But this does also remind me of one incident I have written about.  It's entertaining, to say the least, to think about other "ghostly" possibilities.  big_smile

More to the point:  My daughter also has a pit-bull, like your roommate does, and when I was visiting her we went to a park.  Someone about 50 yards away got out of their car with their dogs, and my daughter's dog acted exactly the way you described, growling and whimpering, scared and angry.  We could see from a distance that one of the dogs in question was a pit bull too.  I later read that this is the way they usually act around each other, since they were originally bred specifically for fighting one another.  It's in their genes.  I am betting your dog smelled another pit bull's markings (as Home Girl indicated).

I hope you will get a Hub or two out of this incident!

8. profile image0
    BenjaminBposted 13 years ago

Very possible she was seeing the ground move from a burrowing creature such as a mole or even smelling it but confused because she could not see it.Also though animals have the 6th sense often which is an innate built in sight to sense things we can't such as bad storms coming in and paranormal phenomenon.

9. mrfluffy profile image61
    mrfluffyposted 13 years ago

It's hard to tell what could have been there a few hours before; I don't think it was ghosts.
    On one of the walks that I take my dog, theres one particular spot where she goes absolutely ballistic I thought it was the fairies or a drunken leprechaun winding her up, because there was absolutely nothing about. Until I found out that a fox regularly crosses the path and leaves his mark.

10. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

probably just a mole underground, or some other underground creature.

11. caninecrtitics profile image61
    caninecrtiticsposted 13 years ago

Yea their is a schnauzer that smells cancer on people and I think has been 95% accurate

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)