Who is right - Analytics or HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I haven't paid a lot of attention to Analytics on HubPages because I'm just too new here - not enough page views and not enough elapsed time.  I do use Analytics extensively at my much older and much higher traffic main site.

My attention was attracted to a burst of activity in the last week at one particular hub.  I say "burst", but really it's just a micro burst - a few hundred views out of the blue, which is something I ordinarily wouldn't even bother looking at - too small to mean anything.

But I did look into this and was surprised to find a big discrepancy between what Analytics tells me and what HP "stats" say.  Analytics says that most of those views (78%) were direct entrances and that most of that was by way of Google.  HP stats says the opposite - 80% from Hubpages and the rest indiscernable.

It seems odd to me that there should be such a variance.  At my main site, I have distrusted Google at times and have gone to raw logs to resolve the discrepancy, but of course that's not an option here (too bad that it is not, by the way - it would be simple enough for HP to provide raw logs on request).

Has anyone else ever noticed conflicting stats?

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure there is a variance.
      HP is a "random" page view of around 60% of 100%. Which translates to 60% [ which is actually 60%  x .75, as Google takes a cut of the impression]. What I have noticed at times, a page view does not qualify on Google because it was an HP view aka Indiscernible. Also noted is when you view/edit mode a page it shows on HP as a page view until the system flushes (once an hour or once a day @ 6am PST).

An "Indiscernible Source" just means the javascript HP is using does not or can not define/store the data, as the script is not written to do so. Ergo, the variable.

Oddly, HP will crow high numbers on my "daily" views (which is a continuous clock of 24 hours v. a stop-at-midnight 24 hour cycle (like Google).

The "random function" for "60/40" share is where the issue appears to begin and end. In between is the clock and data variables...

EDIT:
      Also something to remember: in your stats under views, if it reads HubPages as the source of the view, 99% of the time, it is a "logged in member". This will show as a page view but not necessarily a Google page impression. I have 75 articles-in-channel on Google which show a massive gap between HP numbers and Google numbers.

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I forgot about the 60/40, but I am not sure that can explain what I see here.  I  did take the rolling clock into account.

I need to think about the 60/40 - it could be responsible. I need to work on a larger data set over longer time.

1. profile image0
          Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

60/40 LESS logged in views by HubPages members...
          So if you have 50 HP views and 10 Google search views, 10 x .60 = 6 would be your actual impression, even though HP is showing 60 views in total.

Even though the Ads show up, when your logged in, the analytics is not necessarily passing the data as a 'clean' view to google even though HP is recording a HubView.

I found Kontera somewhat helpful with tracking impressions, but the trouble is they do not show the source/page url, unless there is a click. In which case they record the url and keywords. Plus, it is also random, as Vibrant intelliTXT appears in place of Kontera.

EDIT:
          Give you an example. Today my article on Red Bull (which is my highest viewed article ever) is showing 10 views. 5 of those views are from Google engines; 5 from HP. In my AdSense account it shows 3 views ( 5 x .60 = 3 ).

Well, again, that doesn't explain what is happening here.  This isn't a different number of views, this is an inversion of entrance sources.

Also, if you look at page source for a hubbers page, they have something like:

gaq.push(
            ['t1._setAccount', 'UA-69824-6'],
            ['t1._trackPageview'],
            ['t2._setAccount', 'UA-286186-1'],
            ['t2._trackPageview']

which means that both their Analytics account and the hubber gets the page view tracked, which makes perfect sense.

2. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

like you pcunix i have a analytics account but have been informed that not enough lapsed time has occured yet- but i have noticed on some of my hubs it says the traffic has come from an undescernable(??) source- but when i have checked analytics it has told me from where the traffic has come from. Why can't Hp's.

Keep in mind that Analytics gets its info from Javascript on the page. HP is probably analyzing web logs.

Discrepancies I understand, but polar opposites I do not.

3. idreesfarooq profile image60
    idreesfarooqposted 13 years ago

I have both account at analytic and hubpages. I always find a great difference between Analytics page views and hubpages page views. I am still trying to figure out what is the actual reason. Still not get one, perhaps one of top hubber here will answer this.

4. Benjimester profile image87
    Benjimesterposted 13 years ago

Yeah, I've noticed a growing discrepancy too.  It's pretty small, but always there.  Google usually reports slightly less overall traffic than HP does, which is a bit disturbing because, like you all said, those phantom view that HP says are from an "Undiscernable Source" are kind of strange.  It gets me to wondering whether they really exist or not?

On the other side of the coin, it's important to note that Google Analytics and HP Analytics report views at different intervals.  Google displays its findings at the end of the 24 hour period, whereas HP is continually updating round the clock.  So you should probably be seeing some level of discrepancy because of that I would think.

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I have no idea if this will help or not but here goes:

Did you:

Put a new link to another hub a well trafficked hub?
    Put a new RSS feed in?
    Have that hub for some reason rank higher in the RSS feed?

I'm just asking because I've seen views that follow a link (for instance they visit hub A from google, and are redirected from there to hub B.)
    When the person reaches hub B, that view is counted as a hubpages view, even though originally they came from google. I'm not sure if analytics would do the same.

That could be.  It may be that Google and HP track sources differently.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)