Bullying by peanuts

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39389689/ns … and_asthma
    How about abuse by allergy?
    When a Wenatchee, Wash., high school student smeared peanut butter on the forehead of a fellow student with a serious peanut allergy two years ago, it was so shocking that the offender faced an assault charge and four days in jail.
    Some bullies are taking their abuse to a new height!
    They find out that a kid is allergic to peanuts and make them eat them.

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

what we allow, we teach....adults need to step up and correct this behavior in thier own kids. they refuse to. Why?

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Social issues with regards to "bullying" is out of control. The definition or premise is skewed by many, so much to an extreme that it has become absurd in many ways.

Violence and Abuse Issues- Did the child know the other child was hyper sensitive to peanut butter before applying to the child's head?

If not, then there is no abuse or violence. Just stupidity in motion.

If the child did know and still proceeded then the parents and the child should be held accountable, up to a point. hmm

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My first reaction to the original post was that the kid who smeared peanut butter on another was psychotic.  But I agree with you Cagsil on the points of intent and motivation.
      Not with holding the parents accountable, but with taking the motivation and/or foreknowledge or the lack thereof into account.   Motivation and intent have always been aspects taken into account in criminal trials, etc.   
      Which is why the current fad of evaluating crimes under the category of "hate crimes" is overkill and a vengeful way of handling acts of bullying and other crimes.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Brenda,

I will hold a parent responsible for what an 8 year old does or what an 11 year old does. Putting these children in jail isn't an option and to label their future, with a juvenile record isn't going to help either.

There has to be a cut-off, on when conscious accountability is known to exist. When does a child become fully aware of their actions? It's very subjective.

However, someone has to be held responsible for teaching children also. What you are suggesting is that parents are not or nor have anything to do with their child's actions? It's directly related to their ability and responsibility for teaching children they produce. I'm not saying put them in jail, but at least heavily fine them.

It's ridiculous that it is tending that direction eventually. More and more government invasion, then the laws will become even more restrictive, and there will be no more freedom.

It's sad people are not more responsible about their children and apparently must be made to do it? hmm

1. profile image0

I don't think parents can be held responsible for what their juvenile child does at all, unless they've orchestrated or prompted their child to do the dirty deed,  or unless the parent is in the direct vicinity when the happening occurred and could have prevented it.
          For one thing, every child has to learn responsibility for their own actions, based on that intent and knowledge that we talked about before.

And...I think you and I have opposite views of how a child should be raised??

So...I think government HAS to maintain the rules about conduct, because if that's left up to many parents, many parents will insert their own rules, which are not always right rules at all.
          Case in point is the many parents who are teaching children that it's okay for the children themselves to decide such things as sexuality and to judge the sexuality of other children, when in fact those children have no business being subjected to adult decisions and controversies.  Kids should be allowed to be just kids, and adults should make adult decisions based on correct governmental laws.

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We don't disagree. Yet, I find that you have the same problem on this issue as you do with others.

There isn't a set standard for morality, which means, people use their own subjective view on morality, and don't seek more information, because they are comfortable with their moral values that they have developed.

Parents who refuse to teach moral behavior to their children, only hurt society. It directly shows their inability with regards to having compassion for others. Purposely raising children with no moral value only damages society as a whole.

It's pathetic to see how many kids have no moral character, considering the amount of religious families are higher than those who are not religious. I guess I'll leave it there. Before, it's a religion tone.

1. profile image0

But we do disagree about something---

There is indeed a set standard for morality.
              One that many parents rebel at.

2. dutchman1951 profile image59
        dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

so how do we stop it?  cant hold the kids rrsponsible, to young, dont want record, cant hold the parents either?  I do not know, beats me!

1. profile image0

If it's true as DoorMattnomore says that the perpetrator was 19, then he/she can be held accountable by being put in jail, etc.

When it comes to little children, all we can do is teach them correctly and punish them with punishment fitted to their age.  There are ways of doing that!  When I was a child, I personally feared a whipping from my parents,  and believe me I didn't get very many whippings because my parents put the fear of God AND the switch into me.  I am the better for it!   I think all normal kids can understand the concept of right and wrong and appropriate punishment.

Nevertheless, these kinds of things are bound to happen sometimes.   We can't always excuse each case.   So kids, just like adults, have to be punished and live with the consequences of their behavior sometimes.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image71
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

Wow. That isn't even bullying. That's intentional poisoning. Just because the substance isn't poisonous to most other people doesn't make it any less poisonous to the victim. The poisoner knew about the kid's allergy. It's exactly the same as putting some more widely effective poison on another kid's forehead.

Four days in jail was a pretty light sentence in my view.

1. profile image0

The kid knew?
      Wow.
      Did the victim die?  Or was hospitalized? or what?

At high school age,  4 days in jail is a big deal.   I hope the kid learned a lesson.

1. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The "kid" was 19. (if I read that right...stupid ads kept popping up) Certainly old enough to understand the significance of what he was doing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)