Bush's Last Official Act

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 15 years ago

In what he hoped would be the capstone to his eight years as
    President, George W. Bush today signed an executive order repealing
    the English language.

Scrawling his name on the official document, Mr. Bush said that in
    abolishing English he had vanquished his "greaterest enemy."

For Mr. Bush, the executive order represents the realization of a
    longstanding dream that began in 2001 when he declared an official War
    on Grammar.

The president followed up that declaration of war in 2003 when he
    signed an executive order canceling the agreement between nouns and
    verbs.

Mr. Bush's decision to repeal the English language could complicate
    matters for his successor, President-elect Barack Obama, who is
    scheduled to deliver his inaugural address tomorrow, presumably in
    English.

But thoughts of Mr. Obama seemed far away during today's jubilant Oval
    Office ceremony, which Mr. Bush summed up in four words: "I can has
    legacy."

Mr. Bush's executive offer also drew high praise from a fellow
    Republican, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska: "Being that the English
    language can and has been used in confusing and also too in harming
    ordinary Americans, knowing that it no longer can or will be used in
    doing that is something positive that this is doing also."

(Note I was torn between posting this in the Politics Forum or here:-)

1. goldentoad profile image60
      goldentoadposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am dying.

2. t.keeley profile image77
    t.keeleyposted 15 years ago

ROFL

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 15 years ago

Wish I could take credit -- this came to me in an email. But it's so darned true. We're not gonna have W to make fun of anymore!

4. crashcromwell profile image66
    crashcromwellposted 15 years ago

Oh who says? Just because he's leaving office doesn't mean we can't rag on the old Thief in Chief. Something tells me that this guy is going to find ways to get his rather unique perspectives into the media after he leaves office.

Man, does it feel great to say those words....Bush...leaving office!

1. lemarquis72 profile image72
      lemarquis72posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Bush was never one who needed or begged for attention with media outlets.  In fact, it was the other way around, they hounded him, as happens with every president.  Mr. Bush will quietly walk away from the presidential office without stooping to dignify the shrill and petulant cries of his detractors with any answers.  Mark my words.  I ask that you, in a year's time, take note of how fully he will have disappeared from public persuasion.  I am of the opinion that the armchair quarterbacks who enjoy blaming the president for all things reveal their own dishonor rather than his. 

Oh yes, Mighty Mom, great post!  I am a fellow grammar nazi and got a great laugh out of that one.

5. britneydavidson profile image61
    britneydavidsonposted 15 years ago

nice hub.thanx for posting it...

6. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Thanks for the great laugh smile.

7. profile image52
    rinasings2uposted 15 years ago

good bye to him

8. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

I am of the opinion that Bush will walk away quietly because it is the smartest thing he can do as far as public opinion.  Arguably he was one of the poorest presidents we have had, and a 'legacy' politician, anyway.  That isn't arm chair, window shield reaction, either, but an assessment of his record.

Butchering language (that bad) is just but one proof...

9. Nicholas Moccia profile image69
    Nicholas Mocciaposted 15 years ago

I am of the opinion that W will be vindicated--he is a man of principle, uninfluenced by the vagaries of public opinion..  He does what, in his view, is right, not what happens to get good PR with a biased mass media.  Arguably he was one of the most underestimated presidents we have had, and it remains to be seen what his true legacy will be after people will have had the opportunity to truly digest his record under a historical lense rather than an NY Times Op-Ed.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I should also say, subtle and funny.  wink

10. profile image0

Do you happen to know what his GPA was at Yale, Nick, out of curiosity, i.e.?

And a historical lens (as we do seem to 'progress' even if it is by stops and starts), will prove the absolute opposite of what you say. "Vagaries" would be right.

This 'argument' isn't even partisan particularly, you know, so you should put away your bashing of the NYtimes Op Eds. that so screams, "Neo-con."

1. Nickny79 profile image67
      Nickny79posted 15 years agoin reply to this

There is an inside joke among law students which I think it particularly apt:  "A" students sit on the Supreme Court; "C" students run the world.  One president gets elected because he's a legacy brat...another gets elected because of affirmative action...same difference.

Did you read this in the NY Times as well?

The most insidiously partisan "arguments" are those that masquerade under a respectable and academic "objectivity."  Please mark the NY Times as exhibit 1, your honor; Lita Sorensen as exhibit 2.

1. profile image0

Obama did not state his race when he went to law school; indeed he is half black, half white.  I have a strong respect for those who overcome great odds to succeed on their own in general.  Obama qualifies and then some, with 2 books written, not a unethical spot on his record (I don't want to hear any neocon crap about birth certficates, etc.--what a joke), editor of the law review--all around in every aspect of his life a success.

There is a joke among A students--that the "C" student argument is only made by those who are, lol, generally C students themselves--that in any field (oh, and it further explains you).  Bush's GPA was 2.25, somewhat below a C, and that info. was not obtained in the NYTimes.  Daddy is the only reason he is there--hmm, similar to most sorority chicks.  Wonder why I don't like many of them?

No--when I say I read, I mean I read.  Even the Republican crap stuff.  Good to know what the other side 'thinks' (if you call can call it that sometimes); all the better to beat them at their game.

It is unnecessary to state ones race to avail oneself of affirmative action.  1.  Columbia undergrad and Harvard Law School interview their applicants.  2.  Letters of recommendation likely revealed his race.  3.  The extracurricular activites and special honors he received likely revealed his race as well. 

But even so, I am not narrowly refering to affirmative action with regard to his applications to school. 

The bottom line is that Obama availed himself of an analogous advantage as Bush which allowed him to rise more quickly than similarly situated peers.  Being half black and half white is irrelevant.

Obama has not overcome particularly "great odds".  He went to private school all his life and took advantage of the headwinds of political correctness at every step of his career.  If both of his parents were African American and from the inner city, then perhaps it might be appropriate to say he overcame great odds.  Even certain members of the African-American community question whether he is "authentic" enough.  Obama's presidency is a windfall and has nothing to do with any peculiar talent on his part.  Sure, he's a smart guy, but there are plenty of smart guys in the room.

11. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Just for one the annual deficit when bush came in was near nothing. Now it is
    455 billion, and the country is in economic meltdown. But somehow lawyers love this guy. Is there any connection between law and reality?

Apparently not when you are a member of Mr. Obama's cabinet.

2. Nickny79 profile image67

Please tell me why banks made loans to uncreditworthy people when this never used to be their practice and flies in the face of common sense?  Would private banks willingly make such painfully bad loans except for the fact that some 3rd party compelled them to do so?  When a private bank used to make loans back during the "bubble period", who was the ultimate assignee of many of these bad loans?  Tell me what you understand Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to be?  Who created these organizations?  and who runs them?  who said everything was A-OK with these organization?  Who is Barney Frank and Chris Dodd?  I'll be generous and let these be rhetorical questions for jury to consider.  I rest.

1. profile image0

Does not understand how predatory lending works and the debt cycling and how those interests that benefitted from it NEEDED it to turn out this way.  Does not understand how the lack of regulation caused these issues, in part. Does not understand the oil interest/governance aspect.

Only figured out the stuff he does know about 2-2 1/2 years ago himself, and believes that is somehow proof of his 'superiority,' lol.  Is 'rude' in talking to someone of a differing opinion.

2. profile image54
        NewRepublicanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Also, most people seem to overlook the fact that Bush and McCain WARNED Democrats many times about both Fannie and Freddie but they were ignored and brushed aside.  I have never seen any mainstream media talk about this.  All I'm saying is that, use due diligence first before blaming Bush on the economy.

This is absolutely correct.

12. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 15 years ago

"in real official sounding radio voice*........ahem....I interupt this political discussion to make an observation........

Nick......according to your profile, you've been here 2 months, you have posted 25 hubs and have 458 posts (and counting).........

Have you considered getting a website and having your own blog?  Seriously man.

Ok.....carry on........ :0)

13. profile image0

"Can you cite your sources as well as you can them?"

Um, what the heck did that say?

Sorry, I had a Bush moment.

1. profile image0

Well!  Whenever you mis-speak, you an always do it in Latin and obfuscate!  LondonGirl isn't around to appreciate it though, ;(

Okay...  So NO responses, So!  I win, obviously!

Time to watch some CNN...

14. profile image0

OK--During the election, I read in depth:

Huffington Post (very liberal leaning, makes no bones about it)

New York Times (sorry, despite your opinion, still the grey lady standard, tho a little slow on the uptake these days)

The Atlantic & Andrew Sullivan's Blog (as mentioned before an INTELLIGENT conservative of standards)

Mudflats (Blog out of Anchorage---hmm, why would I read that?)

Time (generally considered more liberal leaning)

Newsweek (generally considered more 'right' leaning, tho not always the case)

CNN daily

The AZ Republic (to the right of Kublai Khan, even tho they are Gannett--they're all about pleasing the audience--I know as I worked for Gannett in iowa city)

National Review (although they have disgraced themselves now horribly)

The New Yorker (Gold standard--tho biased, especially with literature)

Assorted Republican crap sheets just to get the feel for them, mainly as directed by Sullivan...

AND yourself?????   Oh, that's right--one news source:  Rush Limbaugh.  Been stuck in ancient history and language for a long time, huh?

I channel my sources directly from the ether.

1. profile image0

No frickin' doubt, Nick...  And they are spacey as such, too.

15. profile image54
    NewRepublicanposted 15 years ago

COMMUNITY REINVESTMENT ACT

Google it before you blame Bush for the economic mess we are in now. That's all I ask.

WELL SAID.

2. Nickny79 profile image67
      1. profile image0

Extremely controversial as far as difference of opinion, and frankly, the way this has been written in Wikipedia.

16. profile image54
    NewRepublicanposted 15 years ago

Oh, and also, I think it's absurd when people label Bush the "worst president ever" like it's some definite and absolute statement.  How can one say that when most people are only alive for less than a handful of presidents!  Trust me, I have some issues with him too, but come on, worst president ever...give me a break.  People called Jimmy Carter the worst president ever and he is still alive himself!!!

17. profile image0

Arguably, Obama was from the lower middle class.  Read his books or bio?  A scholarship private school student.  No father or father figure in his life for the main part.  And it takes more than affirmative action to have succeeded through everything he did in life, much more.  One would be an innate drive.

And there is not a spot on his record.  I'd also state I want an intelligent president with a big "I".  Preferably one with the kind of education and record that looks like the qualifications of a President.  Not a D student, or an F student (McCain, another legacy baby) or a woman with less education and foreign policy experience than myself (5 schools, some of them community colleges and she barely graduated.)

Indeed, I do see Obama won in some part (arguable how much) for the same reason OJ Simpson was acquitted.  Just the right time, the right place--that is obviously sometimes the difference in any race or 'win,' as I'm sure you know.

There was NO other smart guy (or woman--besides Hillary) in that race at the end.  Period.

The "authenticity" thing smacks of reverse racism, anti-elitism, and I'm sorry, from the position you are in at the moment you really don't have any grounds to argue.  Your 'position' just says I don't understand the issues of race and class at best--or I will win in any regard and use class and race--because you are white.  Which one is it I wonder?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)