Why do people not comment on my hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (31 posts)
  1. nasus loops profile image64
    nasus loopsposted 13 years ago

I have been a part of Hubpages for a while now and try to comment on other peoples hubs when I read them.  However for some reason although I am getting regular traffic (admittedly not high, but regular) I am not getting comments.  What can I do to encourage people to leave a comment?

1. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How do you know that your comment rate is not average for the site?  I think comments are overwhelmingly from fellow hubber who are our followers.  After initial publication, traffic shifts from our followers to search engine traffic.  I don't think many of these folks comment.

nasus loopsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks rmcrayne. 

I suppose I thought my comments were less as when I comment on hubs I usually have to scroll down the page for what seems an age first.

2. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

solved!
    next!

I have no idea. I thought you had written a comprehensive, thought provoking article and i had to force myself to stop my comment

I have replied to your comment CASE1WORKER.  It is perhaps of note that you did pick one of my first hubs, one that I know needs a lot of work to bring it up to speed, but thanks for looking and commenting.

3. nasus loops profile image64

I do not mind if they are good or bad comments, if it allows me to improve on the hub, maybe add things or omit things either way is good for me.

1. profile image0
      Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am going to follow and comment right now.

Thanks Amie.  All comments are welcome so that I can improve on the hubs.  Generally my early hubs are the ones that need the most work, this I know, but I am still learning.

4. couturepopcafe profile image61
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

I did the same thing - went right over to your pages.  I think you are getting a fair amount of comments, same as anyone.  Some more, some less.

Thanks Couturepopcafe.

I suppose when I leave comments I am always having to scroll down and down and down to get to the bottom.  Yet with the hubs that have comments (which are the most recent) there just didn't seem that many when you take my replies out of the equation.

Thanks for taking a little look though, it is appreciated.

5. b. Malin profile image67
    b. Malinposted 13 years ago

Hey...Now I want comments too!  Seriously...I think people like to just read and not get involved.  Maybe not fair, but true.  I do feel good when someone enjoys one of my pieces and says so.  I also don't understand when they leave nice comments, that they don't become a follower...ah, the wonder of it all!

b.Malin I totally agree with you.  If you like what someone has read then why not follow as usually there will be more good stuff to follow. 

I am starting to understand that comments are something that we may well just have to do without.

6. FrankiesGirl6Yr profile image71
    FrankiesGirl6Yrposted 13 years ago

Kick some my way too

Hi FrankiesGirl6Yr.

I guess your comments are low on the ground as well.  Perhaps one day our hubs will be full of comments and we will be moaning that there are too many.

1. FrankiesGirl6Yr profile image71
        FrankiesGirl6Yrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have alot of readers, I think my Hubs are just contraversal and hard to comment on

I am really not sure what the reason is behind me not getting comments.  Maybe my hubs are just not good enough and people don't like saying it, or fibbing.

1. FrankiesGirl6Yr profile image71
            FrankiesGirl6Yrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You shouldn't be taking your Hub comments to Heart

I konw, but unfortunately I am a little like that. lol

2. profile image0
          Rookie70posted 13 years agoin reply to this

FrankiesGirl6Yr, your hubs are actually fundamental and easy to comment on. I'll be there shortly.

7. richtwf profile image60
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

That's a good question and as probably answered previously - people like to read and prefer not to leave a comment or maybe they don't feel compelled to leave a comment for whatever reason.

Thanks richtwf.  I think that maybe you are right, people just don't feel compelled to comment, just because they don't does not mean the hub is not good.

8. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

I only leave a comment if I've got something useful to say. A lot of Hubbers don't like 'great Hub' or something like that, although it's never disturbed me as far as my Hubs are concerned. So, if I can't think up a 'valid' comment, I just vote up.
    But I have just left a comment on one of your Hubs. It was a great Hub, and an enjoyable read, but I didn't write that smile Voted up, too.

Thanks for the comment Camlo.  It is much appreciated.

2. profile image0
      Whikatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Camlo,
      I have ran into rantings from other hubbers if you just post a quick comment or a couple of words that you liked the hub you might be  considered a spammer. I never personally minded people letting me know that they thought the hub was good with a simple and short comment. But, I do understand constructive feedback is a good thing too. I liked and commented on one of your hubs. I will be back to check out the horse riding safety one soon.

Hi Whikat

Thanks very much for your comment, which I have responded to.  I must admit before I started this forum post I had not really understood how people felt about leaving comments.  I like yourself am happy just to get a small 'nice hub' etc.  But now am understanding that for many others they always prefer a bit of a so called chat.

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy the Horse Riding Safety.

9. MeGunner profile image60
    MeGunnerposted 13 years ago

Well I think it goes a little beyond just commenting on people's hubs. It's more of having a relationship/friendship with other hubbers...

10. nasus loops profile image64

Hi MeGunner.

I must admit I had never thought of it like his, but now you mention it I suppose that most people of leave comments on hubs do have some form of relationship with the hubber.  That for commenting on this.

1. bayoulady profile image68
      bayouladyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi nasus (Susan),
      Please take my suggestions in a friendly way. You asked, so I am just giving my take on your question.I looked back at your profile and in 4 days, you have only made one comment to another hubber's hub. That comment was four days ago. It's like other mothers used to tell us, To have a friend, you must be a friend. Are you following any hubbers?Perhaps if you comment on their hubs, they might comment on yours. It seems to work that way . It is really a time thing for many of us. I skim down through those I follow. if it is a hub that doesn't really interest me ,such as entertainment and sales hubs, I just don't have the time. Many of us have blogs,websites, and write on other sites such as snipsly and infobarrel. Don't take it too personal. I have over 200 followeres, but I might get 20 comments over a 4/5 week period. It's just a time thing.

Sometime, when you get time, look at your buttons(useful,funny,awesome, and beautiful). Some of your readers might just click buttons after reading if they are in a hurry. I know I do.For instance Moneyglitch...she is such a prolific writer! Her  hubs are awesome. Sometimes I read and click awesome, useful,etc. I could never keep up if I commented on all of  them. Wrylilt..same thing. She's awesome...and too fast with me to keep up with sometimes! LOL!

Thanks bayolady. 

I appreciate your honesty, as I say I asked so I should except what people say, and I do. 

I do follow and leave comments, like you say it is a time thing.  I must admit I had not though of the concept that perhaps people prefer to use the button system rather than comments.  I think I will have a closer look to see which of my hubs are getting these compared to the comments. 

Thanks again.

11. reversecharles profile image57
    reversecharlesposted 13 years ago

try asking questions at the end of your post to get user interaction going..

Thanks reversecharles.  That is a really good idea and perhaps one that I could put into some of my hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)