Will you buy food made in China?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (38 posts)
  1. JKSophie profile image67
    JKSophieposted 15 years ago

Hi everyone!  With the current problem Mainland China is facing about Melamin in their milk and other dairy products, will you still buy food made from China?  Do you think not buying anything including other products, food or non-food from China would be the best thing to do? Some would say that they won't buy anything made in China for now, just to play it safe, but don't you think that's stereotyping? Please share your thoughts. smile

1. profile image49
      Garfield277posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't why we should stop buying food from China. The food from there is just as good as the poison peanut butter they been selling here.

2. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't say it's stereotyping. I think that if we want safer food, we should put an embargo on foods from China until their government forces these producers to get their $%@& together! I know it sounds kind of mean for me to say, but our children, pets, and selves shouldn't suffer because someone at a factory wants to save a few bucks and poison our food.

3. profile image52
      ManikBhaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HI friend

I don't have any problem to buy any product. I am business man from Bangladesh and more i was visit china to purpose of business to buy some electronic product from mixmelot.com supplier.

2. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

This is a rerun of the recent dog food scandal, where Chinese manufacturers laced dog food with melamine to increase the protein content.

To do the same for human food is incomprehensible to me. What sort of people would do this kind of thing?

I don't buy much food that is made in China, and will buy even less now.

JKSophieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing this.  I was not aware that they had this dog food scandal before.  It's actually the same reason why they put Melamine on milk, to increase the protein content.  But, yeah, it's not acceptable.

3. profile image50
    Infinity2000posted 15 years ago

Are really China manufactured food:-  milk, biscuits,confectioneries,chocolate related products,canned meat products,canned fruit and vegetable products dangerous to be consumed ? The non-consumables such as electrical goods(stereo audio and visual products), children's toys and anything from A to Z really safe to use and play. The quality control at factory level and again at checks before exporting should be improved. Profits are the utmost importance in their minds. The cost of production in China are the attraction to the investors.

It's great to know that a country like them offers low cost of production to help the business industry profit and will in-turn help the world's economy.  But I guess, everyone really wish for them to not just focus on the cost, but quality as well.  smile

4. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years ago

GENERALLY, IMPORTING FOOD FROM OTHER COUNTRIES FOR CONSUMPTION LOCALLY IS NOT ADVISABLE, AS FAR AS FOOD IS CONCERNED.  MACHINERIES, SOFTWARES, HARDWARES, BOOKS, TOYS AND EVEN ARMS CAN BE IMPORTED FROM ANY COUNTRY. BUT FOOD SHOULD BE PRODUCED LOCALLY.  OTHERS SHOULD HELP A COUNTRY TO PRODUCE FOOD, NOT SELL IT.  BECAUSE FOOD IS A DELICATE THING FOR HUMAN BEINGS.  NO ONE KNOWS HOW AND WHEN WILL IT AFFECT A PERSON.  BECAUSE, THAT FOOD MAY NOT SUIT A PERSON.   FOOD ITEMS ARE PRODUCED ACCORDING TO CLIMATE, SOCIAL CUSTOMS, ETC.  THAT FOOD WILL SUIT ONLY THAT COUNTRY'S PEOPLE.  BUT WHY MENTION CHINA ONLY?   VENUGOPAL SIVAGNANAM PILLAI.  INDIA.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.  The reason that China was mentioned on this is because of the current problem they are facing right now in the production of milk and dairy products causing sickness (especially in the kidney) on thousands of children and fatalities on some, in their country.  It was mentioned on the news that the milk formula and other dairy products they produce were added Melanine on it. You can check CNN's website as well regarding this, as the whole world is affected.  China distributes milk around the globe with not just their house-branded products but to big milk companies.  With this, many countries already ban importing milk and dairy products from China.  This is not to single them out, but to get more awareness about this alarming news.

2. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree that food should be produced locally wherever possible.

And the reason we are discussing China here is because it is Chinese manufacturers that are putting poison into food that they are selling, so that they can make more money..

If you know of manufacturers in other countries who are doing this, please share them.

Eric G.

P.S. Writing everything in capital letters is hard to read.
      AND PEOPLE ALSO THINK THAT YOU ARE SHOUTING!

3. gurgel1 profile image60
      gurgel1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cool.

5. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Interesting discussion.  Every country has outbreaks and foreign objects ending up in the food supply, including the USA.  Read the FDA website and you will see what I mean.

http://www.fda.gov/

Thanks for sharing this.  Hmmm, nothing seems to be safe now, huh. sad  hmm  roll  neutral

6. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59

No more capital letters... sorry.  But does it mean shouting?  Venugopal Sivagnanam.

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes. When you use capital letters in email, on forums, on websites, etc. internet users assume you are shouting. 

Here's one of many references you can easily find on google.
      http://www.hoax-slayer.com/do-not-use-all-capitals.html

It's a common internet convention.
      Have a look around hubpages. How many hubs and posts do you see in capital letters?

Regards,
      Eric G.

7. steimmanbernard profile image60
    steimmanbernardposted 15 years ago

china just thinking to earn more money without thinking also the welfare of fellowmen  i think whatever happened to their economy its their fault too people now dont look for cheaper price but the security of their health...........

8. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59

It is no sin purchasing food from China. But it is not wise. Purchase seeds from China and grow food item in your lands. The wise man should see food in a seed.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It is well reported that China has less regulations in their Health Standards and markets are driven more heavily by the $dollar than perhaps anywhere else.( lower wages ,mass production=higher profit)

What is worth remembering is that other countries choose to trade with them ( including where I live) to save money ,therefore they are just as guilty for being greedy for profit.

Manipulating companies tariffs means they often leave and set-up in Asia somewhere to save millions or make millions ( which-ever way you look at it ).
      Say its a pair of 'Nikes" it is cheaper for them to send all the components to China and negotiate a deal ,then China sends the finished product back to country of origin or re-exports under the 'trade agreement" ,then you or I go into our local store buying a product beleiving its "Made in U.S.A" or "Made In The U.K" or" Made In NZ" and its not !.
      As for the melamine chemicals found this year in their Milk and other products ( Yoghurt ,Candy,Cereals etc) that was achieved on a very large scale . At the time I remember the media reported two factory workers had been arrested but that seemed like a huge cover-up as the problem became more widespread ,like deaths and exports coming from more that one city and factory.
      The responsibilty is also our Governments and us as the consumer.
      As for the dog food ,I dont think thats a new thing either ,as the U.S banned petfood from China several years ago for the same thing . It apprears China cleans up their act for a time then as soon as everyone relaxes that ker ching $$ sign becomes paramount so putting pressure on our respective Governments might be a safer long term solution  ( if we could just tame that monster called "Greed".....hmm

9. DannyGilbear profile image61
    DannyGilbearposted 15 years ago

No. I started to think on what I was doing having food shipped half-way around the world - food that was being produced all around me here in the upper middle-west of the USA and fish off our own coasts.

The cost was similar.
    It just made sense to keep my dollars closer to home and to support local producers; to cut back on my energy/global warming footprint.

I also started to question the safety of the food being produced there. From quite a few news stories it seemed some of the producers were unethical and quite willing to cut corners and cheat in order to increase profits. Also their regulatory agencies seemed to be worse than ours! 

I get most of my food now from my local co-op - they concentrate on selling local organic food when feasible and have the members interests above profits. They also make sure the producers are following strict guidelines so I don't need to rely on the Feds not doing their jobs. sad

10. needful things profile image64
    needful thingsposted 15 years ago

Chinese food be wary... but Chinese cuisine can extremely be be delicious...

11. ZEAL E profile image61
    ZEAL Eposted 15 years ago

I think everyone are equally quilty on the issue of cheap cheap tainted products produces by China. Reasons being is that today comsumers looking forward to buy cheap products,merchants demand manufacturer to produces low cost products and in return manufacturer greed to complete for orders. End results everyone suffered...
    The world are changing fast!!!!

12. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 15 years ago

We buy more Chinese food than what we realize.  Food is not always properly labelled and something made in China can have a European label just because the last packaging was done in the EU.  But the food has come all the way from China, as it is the case of frozen fish (the Panga) found in French Supermarkets.

13. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

I won't knowingly. Too many proven lacks of safety inspection. I think it is bad for the economy, as well...let alone the risks and lack of quality of foods.

For instance, I used to buy a particular brand of yogurt at the health food store, until I found out that that brand sent their already made product to China to be packaged...what an absurd waste of money, but especially for  nutritional and safety concerns its ridiculous.

14. maidouxixi profile image60
    maidouxixiposted 14 years ago

I would like to ask a question, Does it mean that other countries are in line with the standard formula on them? Each country the determination of standards in the food are not a unified, which is China's shortcomings, shortcomings or international standards do? Why should you always have attributed China's failure, indeed the Sanlu milk powder incident in China for us is a mistake,We will make improvements in this regard, but the initial improvement has been such a situation, most of the milk are in line with international food standards, as some people say that the use of low-cost to our country to make money, I want to protest, our teachers once told us that we talked about a problem worthy of careful consideration in the international port where is able to be seen our country's flag held high,maybe it's our horor, we export goods to other countries, but such a port, I am afraid  the money we gain is less than  the United States sell  a software patent to us in short times, which can cost as little money we use it? Maybe The world is fair, and do not have any discrimination in China, do not forget, the U.S. financial crisis, China has done much to support and help, but I think OBAMA understand this more than  an American citizen. China is a country, will not be hold back by anything , obviously China is now the impact of the world .  To keep the stable development of China's economy is the world's largest support and help.I  am honorful of being chinese .wish the world peaceful.

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Food laws are not unified, and Chinese food is good over all. China's growth is probably the only thing America has going for it at this time, and the world will look to China for market growth as well as financing the US meltdown.

1. tksensei profile image60
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And America is the best thing going for China at this time.

2. maidouxixi profile image60
        maidouxixiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you !^^!wish everything goes well~~

15. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

I'll bet we are all eating food from China and will continue to do so whether we like it or not.

The good news is that eventually market forces will 'force' China to improve the quality of their foods and other goods. The bad news is that in the meantime there WILL be other cases like the ones that have made headlines in recent years. Other good news is that this will be quite beneficial to the Chinese people in the long run.

16. choiceessentials profile image59
    choiceessentialsposted 14 years ago

Certainly I won't. It's just too dangerous. Many of their products don't even have an expiry date tagged to it. How can we trust the product??

Even when I make trips to China, just have to be extra careful on where I am eating.

The food tends to be oily, salty.. not very good for health.

17. profile image48
    lanlananhanh123posted 14 years ago

credit auto

Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

18. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I thought everything was made in China. It's not?

19. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

I'm a Kiwi... It was one of our main dairy companies involved in that scare...
    Would I buy food product from China?
    Of Course and I do.
    However, would I buy product from that kiwi company?  NOPE big_smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My nephew works for Fonterra...

Signing huge trade deal with China didnt help NZ' image too much

(gee thanks Aunty Helen-not)

20. curiozities profile image60
    curiozitiesposted 14 years ago

Darn it!  I guess this means I can't eat at the Chinese restaurant anymore, huh?

smile

21. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Not gonna happen though

1. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most definitely, but I cannot ignore my ideals and just eat food from China. I avoid buying things from China unless I HAVE to get it. I think that if more people were to boycott goods, then companies would be forced to make a change.

22. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Actually food from Mexico closed down a whole chain of restaurants here in the U.S few years back.

If it isnt pure greed , its health an safety issues.

But our respective governments should be more responsible.

Pearl just to correct you back there , although the said Kiwi Company was involved as a share partenar ,they were not responsible for the melamine added to the products coming out of China.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)