Have you heard this week's HubMob Topic "Diabetes awareness"?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)
  1. PierrePierre profile image60
    PierrePierreposted 13 years ago

Have you heard this week's HubMob Topic "Diabetes awareness"? What do you know about Diabetes? Signs and symptoms? Causes? Or treatment?

1. drdspervez profile image69
      drdspervezposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Diabetes Mellitus is a clinical syndrome characterized by hyperglycemia,due to deficiency or diminished effectiveness of insulin

1. mom101 profile image60
        mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I really would like to have written a hub about this, but I just can't.

When I was 5/6 dad was diagnosed as having diabetes. Here are the things I remember prior to his diagnosis.

He was overweight, not grossly,  he was fairly active, he worked 12 hrs every day. He and I loved to eat together. Mamas cooking always put smiles on both our faces. THEN all of a sudden, he kept getting sick, violent bursts of vomiting, trembly, "grouchy", emotional, very scared feelings.

Mom had a friend who was an rn. I remember she was at the house one day and told dad to stick his tounge out at her. She immediately told dad what his problem was, and set him an appointment to be seen the next day. Dad went to the appointment, and came home 2 weeks later. His glucose levels were off the charts.  They gave him a lttle green insulin tablet and released him. Wanted to hold off on the shots untl they knew if he could keep it under control.
        Dad quickly lost 50 pounds or more, and needless to say our diets changed, many of the same foods, just prepared a lttle different, but, I would always wait to eat with daddy.
        In a couple of years, dad, had lost down to what I thought was to small, but, his readings would go low to high. Big differences.
        Dad was thirsty all the time. Food, he could care less if he even smelled it, mood swings were getting worse.
        Several years passed, he had normal ups and downs, without any real major problems. THEN
        he developed a problem with his kidneys. By that time, dad was getting older and had been poked and prodded all he had cared to, but he got sick again. The doctors told him he was showing signs of the beginning stages of kidney failure and suggested dialysis (sp) they put him back in the hospital and put him on the shot. Other than just the normal dr visits, he did great. No major problems. He ate what he wanted when he wanted it, trouble was, he didnt want much. he craved salty things, wasnt a big sweet eater.
        Sleeping was sometimes scary for me to watch, because he would sometimes act like he had seen a ghost, scared to no end.
        Mom, passed away, and dad was so lost. His health went down quick. I went to a dr appt with him to see where he was and how I needed to be helping him with his diabetes. He refused the dialysis by the way. But, he had started forgetting. He left home one day, and got 1 block from the house stopped at the store and had to get directions how to get back. Trouble. I asked the doctor if she could give him anything for alheimezers and she said it wasnt that, his kidney disease was allowing poision to enter his blood and causing the memory loss. From that point on, dad could be perfectly normal one minute, and way off mark the next. The dr said it was at the end stages, and told me to watch his ankles for swelling and when that began, the end was not too far away. In two months he was gone.

From the time dad found out he was diabetic, til the end was about 35 years.

Mom and I learned and learned and learned and learned some more on proper nutrition for my daddy. Not only did it help him, it helpd both of us as well.

I am an only child. and I am raising an only child. The drs have told me I need to keep an eye out for both of us.

If you are a family member of a diabetic PLEASE  know in your heart that the emotional stress and mood swings they go through have nothing to do with you. They love you and as the nurse when I was younger told me, daddy needs you to hug him, even more, when he seems grouchy.

I hope this has helped. It is painful.

1. purpleangel47 profile image60
          purpleangel47posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mom .... I lost my Dad because of diabetes complications too and I wrote about Dad's experience for the HubMob's topic: Diabetes. The physical pain and subsequent depression that my Dad suffered was preventable but it happened anyway while we, his family, watched helpless to stop it.
          I hope by now you're working on or have turned your post about your Dad into a hub.
          As long as people are dying, there can never be too much information about diabetes and its complications.

purpleandle47, sorry to hear of your loss. (((((hugs))))))) to you.

It can not be put into words the agony one goes through in watching as a loved one suffers.

Diabetes is a monster. It has so many "legs" that just seem to reach out and pull a person under, BUT,  it is much more controllable than it once was. I pray it will continue to get better.

Diet, it plays such an important part in our lives, and it is so sad that people just take it for granted.

Keep a check on yourself, please, as this has been suggested is passed on.

Hope the upcoming week holds many smiles and new beginnings for you. Welcome to the hub by the way.

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Please Mom - take what you have just written and turn it into a hub. You could touch so many others out there who are going through, or have gone through, just what you are describing. (((Big hugs))) - I am so sorry this happened to you.

IzzyM, thank you for the kindness. It is a breath of fresh air to know someone cares.
      I am still learning on how things work around here and wasnt for sure if I had enough time to write a hub, but maybe, someone out here can be touched, or helped, maybe both.
      Blessings and kindness are also in my prayers for you.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mom, did you know you can write part of a hub and save it unpublished until such time as you get round to finishing it. Just add a little when you get the chance and don't hit the publish button until it is completed.
        There is no time limit on how long you keep the hub unpublished. The most important thing is to use the best keywords to get your hub found in the search engines.
        'Keywords' are the words that people type into search engines when they are looking for information. Try and think of a title that people in your position might search for, then use the same words in the title, the url and in the first sentence.
        Hubpages automatically gives you the same url as your title when you start a new hub, and its only changed if you decide to rename the hub. You can't change the url at a later date.
        Once you have thought up your keywords, and these will be ones that best describe what you hub is about, or going to be about, you can take as long as it takes to write your hub.
        Good luck smile

Thank you so much IzzyM. I did not know that. i will try this.

Sometimes it takes things a try or two for them to "sink in" but when I get em I got em.

As a stay at home mom, and someone who likes to write, I thought I might be able to pay at least a few bills writing. When I get the hang of it, maybe so.

Again, thanks for your kindness. Hope you have a beautiful weekend.

2. Happyboomernurse profile image82
        Happyboomernurseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mom 101
        So sorry for the loss of both your parents. No matter how much time has passed since a loved one's death it can still be quite emotional writing about them, yet it can also help us find some peace and closure.

You definitely have the beginnings of a touching hub and I hope you take IzzyM's advice and write one.

I can tell from what you've written so far, that you and your Mom were very supportive of your Dad and were the two BIG reasons he lived for 35 years after his original diagnosis. Unfortunately diabetes increases one's chances of going into kidney failure, but they may have happened  sooner if you and your Mom hadn't kept a close eye on him. 

You are wise to be using your knowledge about diet and diabetes to help decrease the chances of you and your child developing diabetes.

Heartfelt personal stories like yours are very inspiring and I encourage you to get yours written into a hub. It will be a lovely tribute for your parents and you can also share it with your child.

Whew. thanks happyboomernurse. mom and dad were my foundation. It is a hard thing, and talking, helps. I haven't done much of that, but am beginning to be able to.

Welcome to the hub by the way. Here you will find many a topic to keep you busy. A word of caution, enter slowly into the religion forums, they are tough and the darts are keen.

Have a blessed upcoming holiday season.

1. Happyboomernurse profile image82
            Happyboomernurseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mom101,
            Thanks for the advice. Cautionary warning duly noted.

3. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Mom, I do hope you hub this.  Thank you very much for sharing your pain.  I truly know that we are given pain to know joy and vice versa  but frankly why couldn't there have been an easier way.

Bless you.  I'll be thinking of you today.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4030272_f248.jpg

kimberly, the flowers are so precious. did you grow them? I can't grow flowers, but now veggy gardens, i can do.

Easier way, oh i am sooooo with you on that. One of the hardest things for me, was my parents were my "how to" guides. Forever picking up the phone and asking how do, what should, .....Then in midstream, having to go it solo. Scary.

Ya'll have been so kind and I truly feel the embraces being sent to me. That has helped me sooo much. I am not one to get out much, I've always been behind the desk.

This diabetes thing, I am so sorry, if anyone of you that have read or posted has a family member or friend with diabetes. If you do, please, just do 3 simple things, love them, stay educated, and do not miss doctor appointments.

Dad, compared to so many others was EXTREMELY  lucky. It could have been much worse.

Kimberly, again, thank you for your kindness. With folks like you, the pain is a lot more tolerable.

I hope the upcoming holidays bring many  a blessing your way. Family, laughter and love to lead the way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)