ACCOUNTABLE

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. mom101 profile image60
    mom101posted 13 years ago

Do you think teachers should be held accountable for their class and what, as a whole, they learn?

1. profile image0
      WildIrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In addition to Brian Slater's response I would say that teacher's are accountable to their students for being prepared to teach their subject and to bring enthusiasm to their teaching.

2. mimind profile image60
      mimindposted 13 years agoin reply to this

100% no way you get a student in 4th grade who has been passed every year and can not do kindergarten level work or is a non-english speaking student without to many accomidations from the district. I have been in schools that have failed and often its not just  the teachers students and families are transient switching schools often etc. Not everyone learns or hasthe oppertunity.If it can be proven they are using best practices tweaking lessons if students are not learning and seeking advice from other professionals etc and doing everything right its not fair to penalize them. Thta said there are some real suckie teachers out there that do not try a better stratagey for accountability in the profession needs to be designed.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No.
      They should be accountable for what they teach, not necessarily for what kids learn.

2. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

Yes and no- teachers are accountable to the children to make sure they study and learn the curriculum that has been set. But you can take a horse to water and if it doesn't want to drink it, no amount of pulling or pushing will get it to.
    Society has a role in how we raise our children to want to go to school and be educated.  Parents have a lot to answer for over the past 20 years or so, particularly at the lower end of the social scale.
    The problem is you just need one unruly child in a class to cause havoc. In the "good old days" children were disciplined and basically toe'd the line. Todays children are smart and know that teachers can't hurt them, only ask them to do something, this makes their position weaker, so children exploit this, not in any malicious way but children know how to make the most of what they can.
    This in turn makes the teachers role more difficult and isn't a job I would like, but good look to them that do.

3. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

A bad or below average teacher will reveal his/her value or liability in time. As WildIris stated, teachers need to be prepared to help their students learn everything they can to be successful. But it's up to students to learn, not the teacher's job to "enforce" learning. Each needs to be accountable for their OWN actions.

mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

daniel, how can you tell a kindergarten student, hey, learn if you want to, it aint my job to make sure you learn.
      By the statement, or the way i interpreted  it, leads me to think that is what you are saying. If a child is being disorderly or unruly, I can see that he/she needs to face  the consequences of their actions.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And what do you "expect" out of a kindergarten student to learn?

They are 5 years old? Do even think a child that young actually can pay attention long enough to learn anything, except playing around?

You cannot force children to learn. They must learn at their own pace.

To address the main question- Yes, some teachers are to be held accountable for their layout, format and system of teaching. If it is ignorant to the students and non-productive, then they should either be taught a new system for teaching or get out of the teaching business altogether.

2. thooghun profile image94
        thooghunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You both make good points, what I would suggest is a go-between (the parents). Should the child not learn willingly then I would (as a teacher) inform the parents. What I'm trying to say is; there should be a parent-teacher relationship as well as simply a teacher-child relationship.

mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

thooghun, very true. Parents should do everything they can to work with the childs teacher. And that, in itself would be a great subject for another topic.
          cagsil, most students that age are ready to learn behavioral skills. When my son started kindergarten, he knew colors. could count to 100, read (small words of course), his abcs and how to sound them out. I taught him how to sound them first. ....Several of the kids knew some of the above or more. I was told to back off teaching in order for the other children to catch up. My son was given pages to color to occupy his time. ......

4. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

In the past teachers had full control over what they taught students... but in today's schools teachers are told what to teach step by step! They have little to no control over the material! Now their methods could be put to test!!!

I believe they push children too hard these days! My son was learning spanish in kindergarten! I think it's great to broaden the horizon of any child... but come on? Kindergarten... they don't even know their native tongue's full course yet!

He's in the first grade now and is being taught far more than I would think a six year should be. He comes home with several sheets of homework to complete. He is only six!

I think they try to make children grow up too fast!

1. marty1968 profile image59
      marty1968posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree Libby, I have two daughters; one of whom just graduated high school. Children today are far more intelligent than we were at that age. I dont think they are necessarily trying to make them grow up too fast. Its just that todays society is much more advanced now and with technology on the rise children have to be better prepared to be turned out into a world of constant change (be it good or bad)

5. orioleorange profile image61
    orioleorangeposted 13 years ago

It's irresponsible to make any one group -- students, teachers, parents, community -- shoulder the entire burden. All play a part and should hold themselves accountable for what they can do. I understand this is an ideal.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)