Another great reason to Hubhop and Flag Spam

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

If you either 1. Have a lot of hubpages referrals who also write hubs, or 2. Use trackers anywhere in your work, there's a good chance that your adverts will show on hubs that you didn't write.

I was thinking about this, this morning and came to the conclusion that Adsense would probably ban first and ask questions later if they found YOUR adverts on a hub that had questionable content or anything against Adsense ToS.

Just another thing to think about - every time you hub hop and report spam or anything against ToS, you may well be protecting yourself as well.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Does that mean someone could actually bring down a competitor by signing up under her referral link to create one or more spammy accounts?

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a scary thought and I didn't think of that. However I'm sure that with help from the staff, if such an incident did occur, it would eventually be worked out with the fact it's not your page. However I'm sure it would cause at least some hassle and worry with Adsense.

Although anyone attempting this would probably end up getting their own Adsense account banned anyway, so hopefully that is reason enough for them not to.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate your feedback. I was thinking that it sounds strange an affiliate should be able to hurt the "master," who has no power over who decides to become an affiliate simply by clicking on a link. So I was fishing for whether Adsense may be able to distinguish between the different types of accounts. Maybe we will never know. Thanks for raising the issue.

2. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If that were the case, a nasty competitor could simply use your Adsense code on spam. It doesn't take a referral.

I have no idea how Google would handle that or if has ever happened.

3. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

I should think she would be more likely to loose her own account than the person whose referral link she used.
    wink
    ...but it really helps everyone when we take the initiative to report spammers.
    big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

4. K9keystrokes profile image82
    K9keystrokesposted 13 years ago

Okay, again I may seem quite novice with this question, but I feel compelled to ask it anyway.
    When you are referring to spam, or referral links, I am not completely sure I understand what these are. My concern is that I don't want to risk making a mistake and causing either one of these evil events by not knowing any better.  neutral
    I always link to good hubs that relate to the subject I am writing about, my understanding is this increases the readers experience while visiting and helps the community writers get read. Am I on the right path, or am I on my way to evil town?

5. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Spam, used broadly here, means hubs with duplicate, substandard, overly promotional content. I don't do the hub hopping, but from what I've understood the spammy hubs can be very bad indeed and are easy to distinguish from quality hubs.

Referrals does not mean regular links, but links in which a URL tracker has been used, so that if someone signs up on your tracker or visits a hub by following your link with a tracker, you will be given a financial reward - namely a share of the page impressions and associated advertising revenues.

1. K9keystrokes profile image82
      K9keystrokesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I have used the url tracker, possibly something to look into. I need to read about it in the hp tutorials to avoid any risk of doing something wrong. Thank you for the explanation WE, I appreciate your help. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)