Worried about the HubPages score system - Please Advise

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)
  1. RealityBomb profile image60
    RealityBombposted 13 years ago

I enjoy writing articles that look at conspiracy theories.

The thing is, I'm a little worried that my hubs will get poor ratings because of the subject, rather than the actual content. We all know conspiracy theories are controversial topics, in fact, I know the very subject itself annoys some people. So how can I avoid getting negative ratings for just writing about this topic.

It seems very unfair, especially since I've been writing both sides of the argument. The four hubs I've already written have been published for less than 24hours and already my overall score has dropped and two of the hubs have dropped points individually.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice hubs. Don't worry.  Takes a little while for scores to settle.  Some people might mark them down, others might mark them up.  Score isn't everything - apparently.  Unless it's 100 it doesn't get near the top pages anyway.

I know nothing by the way.  Just a jumped up newbie myself.

1. Stories Inc. profile image65
        Stories Inc.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

A jumped up newbie that just made it to 95 in no time at all, teach me the nothing you know, I want to know nothing too :p

Thanks! I have had some success playing the short game (get noticed, write easy to read, and mercifully short, 'joke' stuff) - but it's early days yet.  I am a little tick on the side of the established players here, which is why I feel a bit of a fraud answering anything.  The longer game is search traffic and sales.

Good luck with your stories.

1. Stories Inc. profile image65

Thanks smile Good luck getting back (! explain that...) to 100 wink

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark is entirely correct; hub scores often go down a little after publishing.  I find that my hubber score (the one on the avatar) also goes down every time I publish a new hub.  Give it a few days or a week; hub scores should stabilize (hopefully into a slow fairly steady climb) and so will the hubber score.

And don't pay too much attention to the scores; in the big picture they mean very little as long as your hubber score is above 75 and individual hubs are above 40.

I was particularly miffed, having written my finest work to date imo, to see my score drop quite markedly.  It felt like a bad review although of course it is nothing of the kind.

3. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suggest you keep your conspiracy theories to your hubs, rather than posting prematurely on the help forum.

2. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Just to add to the evidence- I have just a few hubs smile and EVERY time I publish a new one, my score drops.  EVERY time.

Apologies for that, I just can't stop myself marking them down.

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know.  I don't mind, but those nasty comments you leave about my dog have to stop.  The poor thing cries himself to sleep every night, which is really odd, not the crying (although that is odd in a dog) but because he is imaginary and I just don't see why an imaginary dog wouldn't be happier, you know?

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unhappy "owner", unhappy imaginary dog!  Is Mark being too mean to you?  He's a mean 'un alright, but I bet a dog bite would fix his wagon!

But I'm happy!  So is my imaginary cat and every one of my imaginary friends.  Some of the real friends aren't gloomy Guses either.  It's just that sad dog, and I blame Mark..

So anyway, I hope we have all helped the OP understand that while none of us know what makes our hubber scores go up, we do know that publishing a new hub pushes it down. 

As we all blindly seek a better score, you'd think we'd be smart enough to stop making new hubs, right?  Nope, we are not..

2. Stories Inc. profile image65

But isn't that normal, since new hubs start low and then rise only due to feedback and views? When it starts lower than the other, well-looked at hubs, the average of the score drops and that will negatively influence your general hubber core, right? At least that's how I think it works...

Yes. But you would think that adding ONE little hub to 192 established others would not drop your hubber score.  But it does..

3. RealityBomb profile image60
    RealityBombposted 13 years ago

Ahh Thats reassuring, thanks all! I'll keep going.

4. Hestia DeVoto profile image60
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

I've been writing here on Hubpages for just over three weeks now.  I just published my 12th Hub, and my hub score has now climbed to 90.

I think you just need to be a little patient.  My score was pretty low for the first week and then slowly it just started going up, and then it went up some more.  It takes a little time for people to find your hubs when you are new.

1. RealityBomb profile image60
      RealityBombposted 13 years agoin reply to this

:-)

Thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)