Ripped Off or Bad at Math???

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I was just checking up on one of my relatively new hubs and compared Analytics pageviews with AdSense impressions, and found that my AdSense share was shockingly short of 60%. It's relatively new hub with under 1,000 pageviews so far, so I didn't think much of it.

I looked at stats for a more trafficked hub and still found that I fell short--only I'm not sure how much.

According to AdSense (which don't equal the AdSense impressions reported by Analytics -- they're off by about 2,000 impressions), I only had 52% of impressions when comparing to Analytics' or HP's total pageviews number and 55% when comparing it to Analytics' unique pageviews number.

I don't get it. And 55% is closer, but that's still over 5,000 pageviews that have disappeared into thin air.

The closest thing I could find to the 60% is if I used the AdSense impressions reported by Analytics (which isn't what I got paid on) divided by the Unique Pageviews reported also by Analytics, it came out to 59% almost 890 pageviews short.

My head hurts now. Anyone know what the heck is going on???

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
      Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought HP took your clicks for 40% of the time. I'm probably mistaken though.

lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup. HP takes 40% and we're supposed to get 60%. That's my point. I'm not getting 60% according to the stats. sad

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

That stats vary widely for many reasons.  For example Blogger syas one blog of mine got about 10,000 hits last month.  Statcounter says about 6000, Project Wonderful and Adsense says about 7000.

It comes down to when the time period is counted, what counts as a hit, what counts as a unique, when the crucial bit of the pages loads and all sorts of other stuff.  Often a page will load and the person will leave before the ad loads.  Stuff like that.

Right. That's why I didn't think twice on a new hub with small numbers. I would expect to see discrepancies. But an older hub with significantly more traffic should have come close to evening out those oddities.

I assume HP is counting impressions that mirror our hubs' traffic stats. I hadn't thought about people that might be using ad blocker services. If that is the cause of the discrepancy, that means that somewhere between 8% and 10% (5,000 to 7,000) of the people that visited that one hub had ads blocked or didn't wait for the ads to load. Does that number sound right? If it is, that's a scary prospect...

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I have no idea if this will help (the numbers you stated started to confuse me too!).

Do you have Adsense & Analytics linked? If so go into your Content>Adsense in Analytics and at the bottom right of the stats mine says "0.59 AdSense Page Impressions / Visit".

Not sure if that part would help (usually averages .60 to .59 so figured it had something to do with the share?)

Genius, WryLilt! smile I don't usually track AdSense in Analytics, so I never noticed that before. My overall share is exactly 60%.

But now I'm even MORE confused. Here's what I never realized before. That 60% of impressions that we get is not "impressions per hub," it's "impressions per account" -- or at least that's how it seems. Make sense?

So I just discovered that my two highest AdSense-earning hubs  only got 50% and 54% of AdSense impressions respectively in October, while lower-converting hubs got more than 60% -- I saw one at 64%.

Not a happy camper here. Not happy at all.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm. Maybe watch them next month and see if those numbers swap around and see how random it really is.

Glad I could help.

I've gone back as far as January. My two consistently high-performing hubs have not gotten more than 55% share during that time -- and usually less than that. That's thousands of lost impressions for those hubs. *pouting*

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Is it possible that slide shows are throwing the numbers off?  HP counts them separately, analytics seems to lump them into the count, and I'm not sure that adsense even counts them at all, although they report clicks from them.

Looking at my totals on HP for all hubs all time, slide shows are about 20% of the total.

5. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Im not sure if i should admit this but Im 100% certain the impression share is per hub not per account.

Ive manually checked the ad ids for ridiculous sample amounts many times. Its always works out appropriately.

Adsense/analytics cant even get earnings or imnpressions down exactly - hence the entire graph dedicated to discrepancy in your analytics account.

My account only show a .48 impression share - but thats because at least 15000 views a month do not have adsense enabled on the hubs.

Do you have adsense turned off or disabled on any hubs?

Nope.

6. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

@SF - But the weird thing is, the ONLY number I could find that works out to 60% exactly is the number WryLilt referred to in Analytics. It's when I dug deeper that I saw that some of my Amazon-focused hubs are getting 62%, 64% or even 68% share, while my highest AdSense performers with consistent CTRs are getting 55% or less.

Edited to add: Your method of sampling doesn't take into account those PVs that had ads disabled -- which I'm sure is at least some percentage of the views, and Analytics doesn't count those in their AdSense-impression numbers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)