Why do I feel like I am being ripped off?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. jaredbangerter profile image74
    jaredbangerterposted 12 years ago

I was barely getting 80 views a day and making 24 cents per night.  Now that I published my two new tutorials on how to make certain mods for Skyrim, I am getting around 230 views a day and for the last 4 days with 230 views on average per day I have made... 20 to 23 cents per night!?!?!

My views nearly tripled and my pay has seen no raise???  Why do I feel like Hubpages is pocketing more than the agreed upon 60/40 split?

1. catalystsnstars profile image60
      catalystsnstarsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure you're getting on average 230 views per day? The reason why I ask is because of your accolades. According to it, your hubs have been read over a 1000 times and you joined seven months ago. Maybe you could go to each hub (tedious) and look at the stats then add up the views to verify how much attention your articles are actually getting? If my calculations are correct, even at barely 80 views a day, per hub, since you joined you should have over 10,000 views, which should change your accolade.

I may be wrong, but check that out. Also in your "my account", click the earnings option. From there it'll show you how the CPM (cost per mile). Thats how much you make per 1000 impressions or page views. 

Hopefully that helps. If not, read some of the Hubpage success stories, that also has the stats for each Succesful Hubber listed, maybe that'll put things into better perspective for you.

jaredbangerterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All I know is that under 'page views' under 'my account' it says '225' at the moment from 1 day and normally for the last 3 months, that's said around 80.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Check your hub stats to see where your traffic is coming from. Hubber traffic does not earn money, unless something has changed.  smile

SSSSSS

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

I don't know you well enough to tell you why you feel that way. What affiliate programs are you enrolled in, currently?

Good one.  Google Adsense (hasn't gone up a penny...), Amazon.com and the normal hub pages program.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. If you participate in the HubPages program, then there is less space available on your hubs for Adsense ads, so that may mean little revenue from that source. HubPages' program pays per 1,000 impressions, AdSense primarily for clicks. So many Hubbers have reported dramatic falls in their AdSense after switching on the HubPages ad program.

As you may know, revenue isn't shared. You get 60% of the page impressions, and 100% of the revenue from those impressions.

1. profile image0

The OP never responded to this.

3. relache profile image67
    relacheposted 12 years ago

230 views per day across all your Hubs is rather low traffic numbers, and your earnings are average given your traffic volume.

You need a LOT more eyeballs if you are going to get a low-paying topic (lots of competition) like gaming to become truly profitable.

4. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 12 years ago

I agree with Relache, Hp cannot rip you off,you really need to look at the way you do keyword searches and how you optimize your hubs for search engines.. With 78 hubs if you are only getting that many views you really should think about tweaking and editing your hubs. The time you spend on that may be well worth it. Hope that helps.

5. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

Games has a lot of competition as mentioned tongue I would suggest taking a look at 'who' or 'type' of audience you're writing for. Who can or will benefit with your article? just some thoughts wink

6. jaredbangerter profile image74
    jaredbangerterposted 12 years ago

I only wrote 2 of the 78 hubs about gaming.  The rest are about politics, money and fitness (I'm a certified personal trainer.)  I used Google Adwords to choose all of my topics and titles and I have continuously been using the Title Tuner.  I don't know what I could be doing wrong here.

7. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

The joys of writing is always a learning experience smile don't fret too much. Just stop and review, evaluate where your traffic is coming from, rethink where the 'right' traffic may be found and then promote and attract, in that area smile something I should be doing more of myself lol wink

8. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

The problem you will find is that every man and his dog will be writing about Skyrim. Especially if you are writing about character creation, walk throughs, tips, hints, tweaks, hacks or suggestions.

This kind of focused subject is already covered and written about by 100's if not 1,000's of people across the internet already.

That is what your two current articles are competing against.

The thing is I am writing about something that no one else knows how to do.  In fact, I am the one who discovered and taught myself the technique in the 2 part article.  It's on how to make spells that let you shape shift into monsters.

In fact, I get about 99 views a day from the first part of the article and 50 or so from the second.  My next most-viewed article is 'Strategies to Implement Population Control' which gets 5 views a day. 

So it seems my most lucrative articles are Skyrim Modding tutorials.  I write about tons of hot topics too like politics and fitness - like I said I am a certified personal trainer - and they don't get even close to the amount of views that my Skyrim mod tutorials do.  Even though I used adwords to choose the titles.

9. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

The OP's original question wasn't why his views were low, as some people seem to have assumed, or even the ad split between HP and Adsense, he wanted to know why his views had shot up, and his earnings hadn't.

This is a good question and has been discussed before without resolve.

The HP ads CPM always seems very high when you have few views. I can attest to this having started a few new subdomains.

As your views rise, the CPM drops like a stone.

You should still be better off with the higher views, but not proportionately.

80 views might be 24 cents, but 230 won't be 3 times higher. It should be more though, not less. Hopefully that situation has righted itself by now.

1. relache profile image67
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simply... Dilution.

He's getting more traffic from a high-eyeball, low-click source.  Gamers want info, not ad clicks.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That makes sense, but when he is running impression based ads, he should still see a rise in earnings corresponding with views, unless his CPM has gone through the floor.

Exactly.  You'd think I'd see at least a nickel a day's difference with the percent increase in traffic, considering they are paid per impressions.

10. GA Anderson profile image84
    GA Andersonposted 12 years ago

I think IzzyM has it right - HP Ad revenue is impression based, not click based - so it should not matter what kind of traffic he's getting, or the topic. A view is a view is a view.

I too have seen frequent discussions about cpm dropping drastically as views/impressions increased. Maybe I just missed the rational explanation.

If there was one????

GA

Yup.  Exactly.  I am still waiting for a rational explanation for this.

1. profile image0

You can contact HubPages directly about your concerns: team@hubpages.com - Include a link to this discussion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)